Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modeler or ARfer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
modeler
69.72%
Arfer
30.28%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Modeler or ARfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Modeler or ARfer?

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

Are you a modeler or an ARFer? I'm a modeler by profession and by choice in our hobby and always will be. You are a modeler if you have built a few planes from plans, scratch, or from a kit. ARF's are not kits no matter what some people try to imply. Sorry flame suit on.
I agree with this premise. I build from plans or from a kit. I have built a few ARF's too. Notice I used the word, built.

When buying any ARF, I noticed they were never put together well. So, I always strip off the cheap covering, rebuild and/or reinforce many structures (especially the landing gear blocks which I always replace with REAL plywood or maple wood), apply CA glue on all joints, throw away the hardware provided with the ARF (control rods, clevises, wheels, fuel line, etc) and replace it with quality materials MADE IN THE USA. I also perform many other improvements to the ARF.

Due to all this work, I usually spend 200 to 300 hours on a .40~.60 sized ARF so that it will last many years. Therefore, I do want to point out that building an ARF correctly is just as much work, or more, than putting together a kit. With that in mind, if you build and ARF correctly, you are in fact, a builder. If you just assemble them in the 15 ~ 20 hours they 'suggest' then you are an ARFer and your ARF will usually not last a single season.

I can't tell you how many ARF'ers I've seen who wonder why their ARF crashed before they got a dozen flights out of it. Makes me laugh so hard!

Airplanes400
I think you may have added too many 0's in your estimated number of hours you spend upgrading a 40-60 size ARF. 20 to 30 hours is reasonable but 200 to 300 hours. C'mon Man!
I actually won an award for "Best Scale" with an ARF once.. Granted there wasn't a lot of competition, but I took the trophy, shook hands, snaped the picture and handed the trophy to a guy who really spent 200-300 hours building a scale model airplane. I felt great about it and I know I made his day too.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
mschneider2005

Let's say you go over to your friendly neighborhood IKEA and buy a box that says "Cabinet" on it. You take it home, pull out the instructions, and you proceed to put a cabinet together.

Does that make you a cabinet maker?

If you say "Yes. I assembled a cabinet from IKEA. Therefore I am a cabinet maker" You would be wrong.
If you say "No. I can follow the picture instructions and put together all the pre-fabbed, pre-drilled, prefinished parts, therefore I'm not a cabinet maker". You would be correct.

If you take hundreds of tiny parts and make 2 big parts with them you are a builder.
If you take 6 medium sized parts and make 2 big parts with them you are an assembler (is that a word?)

In the end, it doesn't really make a diffrence which way you choose to enjoy this hobby. We just need to stop interchanging the two words "Build" and "Assemble." They simply do not have the same meaning in this context.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: TimBle
If ARF beats Scratch built, then perhaps its time to admit that you're not any good as a modeller or the person who created the ARF is one heck of a modeller.
I like your attitude. Tell all the junior competitors that they suck building because they don't have an ARF. Tell them that when their dad is listening.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
TBONE6

ORIGINAL: Ozzee

Also we builders are getting tired of guys getting awards for planes they bought and not ones they themselves built at events.
Isecond that!
Not stirring the pot, but, are we refering to scale building? I always understood that scratch building includes things like, say, correct counter balances, profiles, markings, etc. So how can an ARF beat a scratch build in competition? Just a newb asking a question.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM
straitnickel

Hey Ron,
I still have the dream of a scratch build. One can dream, right?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mschneider2005

Are you a modeler or an ARFer? I'm a modeler by profession and by choice in our hobby and always will be. You are a modeler if you have built a few planes from plans, scratch, or from a kit. ARF's are not kits no matter what some people try to imply. Sorry flame suit on.
Due to all this work, I usually spend 200 to 300 hours on a .40~.60 sized ARF so that it will last many years. Therefore, I do want to point out that building an ARF correctly is just as much work, or more, than putting together a kit. With that in mind, if you build and ARF correctly, you are in fact, a builder. If you just assemble them in the 15 ~ 20 hours they 'suggest' then you are an ARFer and your ARF will usually not last a single season.

I can't tell you how many ARF'ers I've seen who wonder why their ARF crashed before they got a dozen flights out of it. Makes me laugh so hard!

Airplanes400
I think you may have added too many 0's in your estimated number of hours you spend upgrading a 40-60 size ARF. 20 to 30 hours is reasonable but 200 to 300 hours. C'mon Man!

Schneider, if you frequent this jet section often, you'll quickly realize the poster blows quite a bit of smoke when posting.

... I'm with you on this , 20 to 30 hours for a .40/60. sized ARF is the norm.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
mschneider2005

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Airplanes400

Schneider, if you frequent this jet section often, you'll quickly realize the poster blows quite a bit of smoke when posting.

Amen
Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Steve Moore

pmerritt,

can i say that has to be the BEST!!!!! post I have seen on RCU

Outstanding!!!

I think a conclusion can be drawn that no one in this hobby actually gives a you know wotsit as to whether you are a modeller or ARFer, just do what makes you happy and enjoy it!!!!

It would be nice if Ron could post pictures of the models he has built so we can admire his craftsmanship, and in return we could post picture of ours for his admiration

I will start
Clearly Mr. pmerritt is a little fish who has no idea who he is talking to - it this thread or the other one. I wouldn't be too quick to pile onto his idiotic post and paint yourself with the same brush.

BTW, nice F-16. Paint it yourself? I ask because it looks exactly like a dozen others I've seen...

BTW, I do both, assemble ARF's when I don't have time to build, and build from scratch when I do. There are benefits to both, but there is *no* comparison in the level of effort required...

Bob

+ 1,000,000,000 There's room for all of it. Thats why it's a hobby!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
GerKonig

[/quote]
+ 1,000,000,000 There's room for all of it. Thats why it's a hobby!!!!
[/quote]

Exactly, besides, words have different meanings in people's minds, obviously. If you play, build, assemble, put together, glue (etc.) models, guess what you are: a modeller

To say that you are a modeler only if you use the poster's build system is quite frankly silly.

Everybody that controls a RC model is a modeler. It does not make any difference if it is a model of Ferrari, Beneton, Chris Craft, Panzer or Piper. Waht is the difference if the model flies, runs, navigates, sails or crawls?

Like it or not: You play with toy airplanes? You are a modeller. The premise of the original posting is absurd.

What do you call people that play with dioramas and toy soldiers... Modelers... How about if I go and buy Tiano's $27,000 P-47? If I play with it, I am a modeler. So if in some people's minds I am NOT a modeller because I purchased a built RTF from Frank, or if I purchase a partially pre-built Giant-Stick?

That is ok with me:-) I have seen people that talk to imaginary friends, or that see things they only can see...

Gerry
Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess 2 years and countless hours to RE-build an ARF brand new out of a box to make it look scale doesn't count. I'd think disassembling an ARF and re-BUILDING it might take some work if you want to use as much original wood as possible to cut down on cost..

I must be really wrong about that one.....
Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Airplanes400

It takes one to know one when it comes the jet forums................Blowing smoke in the jet forums is par for the course, and most of the posters are shooting eagles...........
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

Airplanes400

It takes one to know one when it comes the jet forums................Blowing smoke in the jet forums is par for the course, and most of the posters are shooting eagles...........

A wise man once told me "if you don't like the party, don't go back"
Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
kruzin55

It's a hobby and supposed to be fun and bring us together.  Any nonsense that tries to divide the 'builders' from the 'assemblers' is counter-productive and annoying.  Besides, all the real builders I've known are more than happy to help others and include more people in their hobby.  Otherwise, there's no one to bull**** with after you're done flying.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Robr0924

Agreed, I do both Just depends on the mood. Want both

ORIGINAL: Steve Moore

VKGT has hit the nail on the head,

I have 'built' models in the past and for me it is too time consuming so I opted for ARF's as with general life and commitments I cannot dedicate all my time to build,

Remember this is a hobby, it is fun and you should take out of it what you want, but this is everyone's hobby and to slam people who choose to ARF is unfair, if you want to build - build if you want to arf go for it, it doesn't matter as long as your having fun......

Just relax and enjoy OUR hobby!!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

And I ask myself who gives a crap? What is the point of your post besides self adulation?
+1
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: Farmer Ted

If this is all about some contest and the fact that your scratch built plane got beaten by and ARF, then, without knowing anything else, I'd have to come to the conclusion that you're not very good at scratch building (or 'modeling' I guess).

Just sayin'...
[sm=lol.gif] Bahahahaha. If you don't like it then quit joining the competitions and getting your feelings hurt.

Or better yet instead of creating a wedge between the Modelors come up with a plan on how to fix the so-called problem. I myself don't see a problem. Obviously the plane was better looking. I am sure the plane wasn't just assembled out of a box and the guy said hey I think I can win in a competition with this. There are a ton of ARFs out there that have had tons of hours put into them to scale them out.

This hobby is for everyone to enjoy in the manner they want to enjoy it.

Joe
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Ozzee

LOLOL this thread has just become the biggest TROLL bait on RCU
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
MetallicaJunkie

im both....but more of an arfer, as i prefer to be out flying when i have free time..... perhaps if i am blessed and get to live long enough to retire i will pick up building kits.... i have the basic know how just no time
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

edit.
Crank
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM
ARUP

I'm 99.9% modeler. I have built arfs (I think I've bought four) before and am always dissatisfied with them. The pre-purchase contemplation was always appealing- marketing I suppose. However, the dissatisfaction of their reality results from my perspective, only. There are plenty of folks who are very happy with the arfs and their presentation of scale fidelity. Otherwise, why would they have bought them? I know the arguments about limited time to build and all of that. So arfs are okay in my book. I just wish that these things weren't all chinese imports. I can just imagine the workers putting these things together, laughing and thinking to themselves if not out loud to their cohorts the Americans are too lazy to even make their own dam*ed toys! I would rather a person from, say, Michigan, say the rest of the folks in the country are so lazy we gotta make their toys!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 AM
groovy67
My Feedback: (1)

You can wine and dine a female(build) or go buy a hooker(arf),but in the end you're still paying for it!
Bottom line is...to each his own! I use to build but have no time for it now.
I'll take the hooker,thank you very much and still get my rocks off...lol.

John
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

I plan build/scratch build/kit build and stuff the guts in arfs.... it's all good. Thinking you are better or somehow superior to a guy that only assembles arfs is just stupid. Trying to separate these forms of the hobby is even more ridiculous.Raising a family, time constraints and other commitments play a major role in how a person decides to enjoy this hobby.
It's supposed to be about fun, .....some of youse guys take it WAYYYYY to seriously.
If the high falutin' modelers would take a little time to get to know the guys buying arfs instead of just deeming them inferior, they just might learn something.
If that's what being a modeler is about.... just call me a arf'er
I'm off my rant now these types of threads just git my goat.

need a 3rd option on the poll...: Trolling?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM
raptureboy

ORIGINAL: Ozzee

LOLOL this thread has just become the biggest TROLL bait on RCU
+5 this thing is still going? BIG YAWN let's move on now to something more interesting. Hey! How about that Tim Tebo is he a real football player, or just a copy?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also we builders are getting tired of guys getting awards for planes they bought and not ones they themselves built at events.
I think the root of the problem is this quote from the first page. Ron, if you keep getting beat by crappy ARF's maybe you need to get some ARF's and start there and work your way up to MODELER.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Tebow - I'm a Steeler fan, but this time, with Denver the underdog, I had to be on their side. When the game went into overtime, I fell asleep, right after the coin toss, my wife hit me on the shoulder, said, hey, you missed it, the game is over. Like a dream. Did get to see the replay, but nothing like it live.
We like Tebow, great kid, at least we don't see him crying that someone got a few more million $$ then he did. Now they are the underdog again, I think the line is 8.5. If they can pull off an upset in New England, it would be a good time to be in Denver.

Crank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.