Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modeler or ARfer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
modeler
69.72%
Arfer
30.28%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Modeler or ARfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeler or ARfer?

Are you a modeler or an ARFer? I'm a modeler by profession and by choice in our hobby and always will be. You are a modeler if you have built a few planes from plans, scratch, or from a kit. ARF's are not kits no matter what some people try to imply. Sorry flame suit on.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Modeler or ARfer?

I am with you Ron. HAve an ARFer give the efinition of builld and have a builder give the definition of build and we will see which one is actually giving the definition of assemble.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:46 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

And I ask myself who gives a crap? What is the point of your post besides self adulation?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
jonesmarvin

+1
Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

RC is one of the few industries in the world in which you have to build something before you can use it. Imagine buying a refrigerator at Best Buy and having to spend 200 hours building it before installing it in your kitchen. One of these days, you'll be able to shop a Web site for an RTF jet, and you'll be able to check off the equipment you want installed. The first company to do this (and figure out how to do it profitably) will make hay.

And you know what? There's not a single thing wrong with that! If you're a modeler and enjoy building from scratch, more power to you. If you enjoy flying more than building and would prefer to spend the limited time you have at the field rather than in the workshop, hats off to you, too.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Ron Stahl

My point is I'm tired of guys who don't build calling themselves Modeler's and coming on here crying about how the plane they bought was crap. What they more than likely bought was a crappy Chinese ARF period. If they were modelers they could and would see the problems with what they were assembling before they have a problem. Also we builders are getting tired of guys getting awards for planes they bought and not ones they themselves built at events.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

Also we builders are getting tired of guys getting awards for planes they bought and not ones they themselves built.

The real reason...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you a modeler or an ARFer? I'm a modeler by profession and by choice in our hobby and always will be. You are a modeler if you have built a few planes from plans, scratch, or from a kit. ARF's are not kits no matter what some people try to imply. Sorry flame suit on.

Definitions of assemble (v)
as·sem·ble [ ə sémb'l ] 1.put components together: to fit the parts of something together to make a finished whole

Definitions of build (v)
build [ bild ] 1.make something by joining parts: to make a structure by putting the parts of it together

Please define the difference... I've never been able to differentiate.

Definitions of differentiate (v)
dif·fer·en·ti·ate [ dìffÉ™ rénshee Ã*yt ] 1.see differences between things: to see or show the differences between two or more things
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Ron Stahl

Not my real reason, but one of my observations at events the past few years, more and more guys with box stock ARF's getting awards for best this and best that, come on get real a guy who builds a kit has way more time and effort into his model that the guy who buys an arf no matter who the company is who sold it.
I also work at a hobby shop on weekends and last Saturday afternoon was spent with a guy who didn't buy his plane from us. He heard we are a BVM dealer and thought I should spend a lot of shop time fixing his mistakes on his ARF jet. I told him he should have bought a good arf like any of the BVM or recent Skymaster ones and found out he just got into the hobby and has no building knowledge, his response was he just wants to fly not build.
See Jacks Diaz's Arf paradox thread for other issuses with non builders and arfs.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Ron Stahl

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro

RC is one of the few industries in the world in which you have to build something before you can use it. Imagine buying a refrigerator at Best Buy and having to spend 200 hours building it before installing it in your kitchen. One of these days, you'll be able to shop a Web site for an RTF jet, and you'll be able to check off the equipment you want installed. The first company to do this (and figure out how to do it profitably) will make hay.

And you know what? There's not a single thing wrong with that! If you're a modeler and enjoy building from scratch, more power to you. If you enjoy flying more than building and would prefer to spend the limited time you have at the field rather than in the workshop, hats off to you, too.
And thats fine with me too just don't call yourself a modeler if your not one, and don't expect me to fix your plane for free on my time when you screw it up.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been modeling (and building) now for well into 28 yrs, i'd much rather be flying then building any day and i've 'assembled' ARFs that were anything but an almost ready to fly so i have to disagree that ARFs don't require you to build.

I honestly have to say that Composite ARF have the only true ARF jets, the only building required on a Flash is the servo tray for the aileron/flap
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
HELLFIRE989

Unfortunately I had to choose Arfer!! I will one day build a kit from scratch when I can dedicate the time to do it properly. I give huge props to you true builders out there!!!! I love following your build threads and seeing how you do what you do! Keep it up guys!!!! I hope one day when time permits I will have my own build thread here on RCU that others can learn from!!!

Cheers,

Jason
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
FILE IFR

Not my real reason, but one of my observations at events the past few years, more and more guys with box stock ARF's getting awards for best this and best that, come on get real a guy who builds a kit has way more time and effort into his model that the guy who buys an arf no matter who the company is who sold it.

Typicaly, pilots with high scores are the ones that static high in presentation .... as well as their flight scores. From my experience at events, these pilots are the ones that fully build, paint and fly their models... they're not ARF competitors.

My jets are ARFs, but my prop planes are mostly kits from a box of wood and hardware... So I guess I'm both types of the R/C hobbist. [8D]
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an order out now for a bunch of laser cut wood for a jet I am working on. and another project is a foam plug I am working on for a one of a kind jet..... and I also have a few jet arf's too.
Mark
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

Man I am getting confused. Last month there was a thread that let all of us non full scale jet pilots are in fact NOT jet pilots so I was comforted in the fact "At least I am still a model jet pilot". But now I realize that the term is dangerously close to the term " modeler jet pilot" . Well that only leaves me the term "pilot" and I sure as heck don't fit that definition. So tomorrow I am going to south America cutting down a balsa tree , then off to Lockheed to steal some blueprints , then locking myself in my shop for a few years just so I can finally know I am a modeler! Or I could tell my friends I am an arf pilot but the would think I have been hanging around my dog to much. This post is as silly as this whole thread . And don't worry I will never ask you to fix my plane.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: hyrumflyer84

Man I am getting confused. Last month there was a thread that let all of us non full scale jet pilots are in fact NOT jet pilots so I was comforted in the fact ''At least I am still a model jet pilot''. But now I realize that the term is dangerously close to the term '' modeler jet pilot'' . Well that only leaves me the term ''pilot'' and I sure as heck don't fit that definition. So tomorrow I am going to south America cutting down a balsa tree , then off to Lockheed to steal some blueprints , then locking myself in my shop for a few years just so I can finally know I am a modeler! Or I could tell my friends I am an arf pilot but the would think I have been hanging around my dog to much. This post is as silly as this whole thread . And don't worry I will never ask you to fix my plane.

so what's the proper term for those who can build the most beautiful bird out there and can't even fly a glow powered Kadet? i've seen more of those then the ARFer's.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
InboundLZ

So, what I am hearing is this:

The guy who goes to home depot, buys a bunch of blue core foam and scratch builds a scale jet that at best leaves a lot to be desired is a " modeler "

The guy who shows up with a BVM Ultra Bandit ARF, that has been expertly built, with a super clean radio install, painted trays, custom made do-dads, completely fitted out cockpit with pilots, and a full lighting package....with not so much as a drop of glue or blemish anywhere is a "ARFer"?

That about right?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

I've always built. It is the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me. I have couple ARFS that I'll fly around for fun. But my first love is to take a pile of balsa and ply and create a plane either from a kit or plans. I haven't got into the fiberglass plug(except for a cowl but would like to attempt).

I have friends that enjoy the flying aspect of the hobby and usually will got toward the ARFs. When they liked one of my planes I would build them one if I had the time (we were both happy). The other plus for building is that you know how it's put together and can avoid structure failure( nothing hidden).

I understand the builders side that they spend a year plus building a very nice plane and lose to an ARF in a peoples choice competiton. I have to admit the detail on some of these ARFs are really good. I prefer to follow the built up model competition. Top gun and other events have added ARF sections not to alienate the other people in our hobby but there is a building aspect of the competition.

I think we all have a spot in this hobby. We're all here to have fun right?

My 3 cents(inflation)

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths that people will go, to somehow make themselves feel like they are somehow better than, or superior to, someone else![:'(]

And for whatever reason it does seem to permeate this hobby. We've all seen if not participated in it with every Futaba vs JR, JetCat vs the world, BVM vs the world, & now ARF vs built, pissing match that ensues on this and other sites. I have yet to see anything positive come out of any of it!

That old turbine pilots vs every other R/C pilot attitude has succeeded in getting us kicked out of clubs all over the country! When will we learn finally, that this is just a hobby! Something we all do for fun and enjoyment. Does any of the rest of it really matter?!

My 2 cents.

David S
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
rede2fly
My Feedback: (86)

i beleive you can call yourself a modler when you build your own plane, radio, servos,batteries, and anything else you can think of... by the way where do you think your lazer cut kits come from?? or do you go out and cut down your own tree and scratch build????
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents with big D.

Whats the point, to make yourself feel superior? Why don't we jet guys (or just guys) get together have some fun and fly what we brought? Are you really so worried about being beaten in a competition by an ARF? If you got beat by an ARF would you really want to admit it? I really don't get this....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Searles

It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths that people will go, to somehow make themselves feel like they are somehow better than, or superior to, someone else![:'(]

And for whatever reason it does seem to permeate this hobby. We've all seen if not participated in it with every Futaba vs JR, JetCat vs the world, BVM vs the world, & now ARF vs built, pissing match that ensues on this and other sites. I have yet to see anything positive come out of any of it!

That old turbine pilots vs every other R/C pilot attitude has succeeded in getting us kicked out of clubs all over the country! When will we learn finally, that this is just a hobby! Something we all do for fun and enjoyment. Does any of the rest of it really matter?!

My 2 cents.

David S
No kidding. You gotta have a pretty crappy outlook on life to think like this, let alone write about it. It is good comedy though!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Arf'er.

I would love to "retire" from my day job. I have a whole list of things I want to do including building but with the job and family, ARF's are where it's at for me. Having said that, I am wiht KC in that Comp Arf are really the only ARFs in jets in my view. Done with the Chinese crap - just ain't worth the trouble and it really isn't cheaper.....

PaulD
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
VKGT

Sounds like the old farts at the field stirring the pot.

Who cares

If you like to build, good for you.

If you like to put ARFs together, good for you.

Enjoy the hobby while you're still breathing. No need to get *****ty about it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Steve Moore

VKGT has hit the nail on the head,

I have 'built' models in the past and for me it is too time consuming so I opted for ARF's as with general life and commitments I cannot dedicate all my time to build,

Remember this is a hobby, it is fun and you should take out of it what you want, but this is everyone's hobby and to slam people who choose to ARF is unfair, if you want to build - build if you want to arf go for it, it doesn't matter as long as your having fun......

Just relax and enjoy OUR hobby!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.