Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bomberfield future at question for local Houston guys

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bomberfield future at question for local Houston guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bomberfield future at question for local Houston guys

Fellow Warbird lovers, I wanted to let you know that bomberfield in Houston has come to the old fork in the road. The 2012 decision to be made is to either have the bomberfield turn into an expensive limited member private club eith dues of around $5000 a year. Option two ( of which I am highly in favor of) is to revitalize the club, streamline the events to turn a profit etc. Bomber has never had a large club, this was basically Bb weber's personal playground and a big active club wasn't necessary with the exception of workers for the events. Bb is 83 years old and is ready to sit back and enjoy his field and not have a day to day role in the running of the field. My question is this, how many local houston area modelors would be willing to join a bomberfield club to keep this great field going. The reasons to join the club if you are already a member elsewhere is to preserve a field that puts on one of the best events in the country, especially the south. Another great reason is it gives local modelors acces to a nice facility with an asphalt and grass runway to fly larger models and jets in a more open and quiet area. We wouldn't be encouraging anyone to drop their current membership with whatever club they are currently in.

My second thought is an associate membership. This would be a member that lives x amount of miles away and attends the meets held at the field. This reduced rate membership would get you a half price discount when attending the events and use of the facility when in town.

The goal is to have a self sustaining club that covers the cost of running this field. Cost are basically property taxes, mowing, electricity, etc. Give me some feedback and ideas. Thx barry

Hide Signatures
Just wanted to post this here too. There are a lot of local jet fliers in this forum. Barry
Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bomberfield future at question for local Houston guys

Find me a job over there and I will move over and help you take care of it. That would be a tragedy to lose. It is an awesome place to fly.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Find me a job over there and I will move over and help you take care of it. That would be a tragedy to lose. It is an awesome place to fly.
+1
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
oistein
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would the club even if i rarely get to use it. It is fantastic. Who knows, maybe they will start exploring for more oil in the gulf soon So i can enjoy it more
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
u2fast

Oistein, your a good man. Miss you my friend. Barry
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
marineA4
My Feedback: (3)

Man, it sounds like you all want to make that into a millionaire's private club. Sounds nice but unfortunatly non-millionaire people like me won't be able to do. I sure love Bomber Field, great place to fly.

Let me know how it turns out! I'll open a special bar with very short skirt waitresses serving non-alcoholic cocktails as you fly. Alcoholic ones for after your done flying of course.

Just giving you a hard time Barry, Good luck with the new setup............

Orlando
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM
marineA4

Barry, I forgot to mention if you need my help with anything let me know. I can always help with some volunteer time.

Orlando
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Wap4life

I will join bomber,  love to volunteer as well!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Barry

you might check with Waco and see how their Associate membership is working for the club. i would think you would be able to "draw" a similar number of associate members as waco has from the jet community, then on top of that some warbird guys as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For those of your who have a nice field close to home that you can fly your jets at on a regular basis, 5k sounds like a lot of money.

For us in this area, we lost the only field that was somewhat jet capable and now have to drive 2-3 hrs to fly. Granted once we do, we have access to some awesome facilities but I would gladly part with 1 or 2k and volunteer work to have a facility such as described here. 5K might be a stretch though...

Hope you guys work something out and I wish you all the best.

PaulD
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM
u2fast

I met with Bb again tonight to pitch my proposal to him and his daughter. The pitch is basically this, we will have an active club. I had an outline of projected members etc. Also, how I would tweak the events. We talked for two plus hours. It was received well. They gave me the go ahead. Next is to get membership commitment and move forward. A lot of the local guys will be hearing from me in the next few days. We will meet again Saturday. Looks promising. I'm very very excited and optimistic. Barry
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
marineA4

Say Barry, I got a better understanding when I spoke to you earlier. I'm glad you guys are working something out. Its a great place for events and to fly. I hope you guys resolve something out. I'm looking at getting another jet here to get back into some flying besides my heli's.

Give me a call when you get chance and keep me in the loop.

Orlando
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
current control

keep me informed i am flying jets with the scobee group
bomber has always been a good field. great for events. to keep a operation as this viable it will need to cater for weekend family gatherings (whatever that is) as it is way out to fly for a few hours of flying. we need marketing in our sport, with the resonable priced foamies we need to drive membership as a family thing. big screen simulators at fly ins ...mall shows, media...
i would be glad to get involved.
chris hogg
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
F9FFlyer
My Feedback: (2)

Barry , count me in on an Associate Membership if you go that way ,maybe a Reg membership
depending on the fee . Bomberfield is a great place to fly ,hate to lose it . Ken
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
u2fast

Ken, Chris, Orlando. We need your support. The new officers are meeting in my shop saturday. We will start taking memberships next week. Please pm me your phone numbers. We will be injecting new energy into this club. We will be adding a jet event on the calendar this year. Also, we will be adding another event that I can't say just yet. It is moving from another club field to bomber. Not jet related though. Fun just the same. Please shoot me the pm's. Barry
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Jack Diaz

Barry, I am not a local Houston guy (I lived in Houston a few years though, and had my office there).
I had the pleasure to visit Bomber Field in different opportunities. In fact, I always remember I was there when my good friend Mike Smith maiden his gorgeous JMP F-4 (like 100 years ago) LOL.

You guys have a great facility as far as I can remember.
I have been kicked out from so many locations so many times, by the neighbors, the government, housing developments, etc, that all I can say is: Do whatever you have to do to keep the field.
I ended up driving 3 hrs each way every time I go fly, and I still consider that a blessing !!!
Like they say: you don't know what you have, until you loose it.

Good luck with your projects.
Jack
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Wap4life

I will join next week.  I just txt u Barry about to leave Mediation.  call u later.