Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

preferred gluing method for nose gear plywood runners ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

preferred gluing method for nose gear plywood runners ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
rcfun2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preferred gluing method for nose gear plywood runners ??

so working on repairing nose gear on my first new used modellbau tornado jet i just got.

i am new to jet repairs / building

so what is better but easier method non toxic way to do gluing plywood runners and bulkheads for nose gear.

epoxy , fiberglass , wood glue ..

not sure what is the strongest for this type application ?

thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: preferred gluing method for nose gear plywood runners ??

I hve been using West System Six10 epoxy for a wile now and like it better than Hysol. It is avalible at ant marine store.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Hi,

It was good talking to you, good luck in the jet world, it is a lot of fun and most of the guys are willing to help.

After the glass work is repaired and everything is scuffed with 60 grit sand paper and cleaned with methanol (Methyl Alcohol), I reinstall the formers and rails with Hysol E-00NS™ High Viscosity—thick for use on vertical surfaces. Also bonds ceramic, glass, and wood. I like E-00NS because it has a 3 to 5 minute pot life, but you can also use Hysol 9462 which has a 55 minutes pot life. BVM also sells Aeropoxy which can be used.

[link=http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3373/=frx85z]HYSOL E-00NS[/link]

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

John
Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
rcfun2005

hey John , thanks for taking time out to pass along the building tips !!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
RCJetBazz

Allow me, let the expert in breaking and repairing nose wheel rails do some talking!

I have a quick and dirty method, use medium to thick CA, nice and strong, and break away easy should the next round of replacement is called for, and when it does, simply use a pair of channel lock to pull everything away.  If you have some of these spare rails already cut, this procedure should get you back in the air in 30 minutes.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HYSOL........... Dreamworks r/c has it as well as BVM. cut my wood to fit, lay in some Hysol, clamp it and walk away, the next morning your good to go.

Hysol is a two part epoxy based product, there are a few different one ( drying times). I too am an expert at nose wheel rail repairs, and when I break them , the Hysol does not break, the wood splinters, Hysol is strong and works well for me.

Mark
Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM
RCJetBazz

The rail will break before cyanoacrylate, aka CA. 

Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcfun2005

so working on repairing nose gear on my first new used modellbau tornado jet i just got.

i am new to jet repairs / building

so what is better but easier method non toxic way to do gluing plywood runners and bulkheads for nose gear.

epoxy , fiberglass , wood glue ..

not sure what is the strongest for this type application ?

thanks

Hi rcfun.

While you can glue in Bulkheads or formers with cyano it can be problematic. Cyno needs a very good parts fit to be effective. A thick or gap filling cyno can be used successfully for this job. It is quick and easy but can also be a nightmare if the first application doesn't take properly.

Most of the reputable model manufactures and professional builders would use an epoxy or 2 part glue like Hysol. Hysol is probably the most common brand nowadays as it is extremely strong and easy to apply, although there are plenty of alternatives. Don't use a quick set epoxy as these tend to set a little softer then the slow 24 hr cure glues. Wood glues are not suitable for Fibreglass to wood joins.

All 2 part glues are toxic to some extent, so a pair of surgical gloves should be used to avoid skin contact.

Make sure the fuse is clean and free from all old glue. Use 80 grit paper to rough the fibre glass, and then clean with alcohol.

I like to make my former a nice loose fit in the fuse with a small gap all the way around. That way the fuse is not distortet. I tack glue it with 2-3 spots of cyno to hold it temporarily and check positioning . Once you are sure it is positioned correctly, use a syringe to inject a SMALL bead of epoxy glue around the former/fuse join. Than use a gloved finger to wipe it in and create a nice concave fillet. Leave to cure and you're done.

A tip here is not to use too much glue. You only want to create a glue bead of 2-3 mm around the former. This much will give immense strength.

Make sure you have some rags and alcohol or thinners to clean up as epoxy can get messy real quick..

These formers are glued in with epoxy on my Bandit. The photo of the carbon main former is before glue has been applied, and shows the gap between former and fuse.

Good luck..

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21422.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1713262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21370.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1713263  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Although I'm not a Jet Jockey, I have built many 40% fiberglass airplanes. The strogest method I have used is to prep the surface and then tack the formers in place with thick CA. Then I trial fit any parts that will attach to the formers to make sure everything is square. Then mix up some epoxy resin ( West, MGS or the like ) and brush in the corners. Then take some 5K CF tow and radius the corners with it. Usually takes 2 layers to get a good 3/16" radi. Then go over the CF with a strip of 4-6 oz cloth. Super strong!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 AM
rcfun2005

ok, so i got the hysol e-00ns tube , and the applicator gun,

i realized now i did not get the mix Nozzle,

so can i just cut the end off the tip of the tube , and then manually mix the epoxy ?

but the question is will this just be a one time use then because tip gets glued in process ?

if i use the "mix nozzle , looking at pictures ,,, just use new nozzle each time use the hyxol...

they only had one , e-00ns in stock, so i prefer not to make it a one time use for this wk end.

thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Rod_Hart
My Feedback: (4)

You do not need the nozzle. You can use it just like regular epoxy. The nozzle is handy for make nice beads. The gun puts the mix out in the correct ratio.

Rod
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I never liked the mixing nozzels, they really do not blend the resin and hardner together well enough
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a few tips that work for me.

1. mixing nozzles are not needed but are nice for those hard to get places and as said, they make for nice beads.
2. i get my mixing nozzles at the body shop supply store. and every once in a while they also carry the tubes I use Hysol 9462
3. when using the nozzles, between uses, i put the gun and the nozzle in the freezer. yes I freeze the gun and tubes during building, and it only takes 20 minutes to thaw, so when building a new jet i try to get all my epoxy work done with in a few nights and this way i use fewer nozzles..

Mark
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM
rcfun2005

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Although I'm not a Jet Jockey, I have built many 40% fiberglass airplanes. The strogest method I have used is to prep the surface and then tack the formers in place with thick CA. Then I trial fit any parts that will attach to the formers to make sure everything is square. Then mix up some epoxy resin ( West, MGS or the like ) and brush in the corners. Then take some 5K CF tow and radius the corners with it. Usually takes 2 layers to get a good 3/16'' radi. Then go over the CF with a strip of 4-6 oz cloth. Super strong!

so what is "5K CF tow" ? i presume some sort of carbon fiber ?

i have some 1/8" - 1/4" strips missing from the fuselage plywood bulkhead which were torn away when landing grear broke loose , i was thinking about using fiberglass cloth and hysol to repair , and NOT go back in with making plywood replacement patches. think NO plywood would be just as strong ?

ALSO THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE VARIOUS POST ON BUILDING TECHNIQUE , REALLY HELPS OUT !