Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Blast from the past

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Blast from the past

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Blast from the past

ORIGINAL: Mike Haddox

I recognize Jack and his son, Garland Hamilton and Bob. Is that Bob Wilcox with the black jacket on the far right?
Yeap, that is Bob W.

Also in the picture are Mark Leavesley (top row, USA cap) and rene alvarez between Garland and me
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark was the guy who wore the T-Shirts with the dogs behind showing with the caption saying Nuff Said. very interesting guy.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Older BVM airframes are still great, especially when converted to electric with the EVF........Aggressor II
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db86076.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	1717253  
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Thread Jack..

This is my friends Viper, built in New Zealand around 1990.. It was this model that got me started into ducted fans. Up until then, the only DFs I had seen was a Byron F16 and a Regal Eagle which did not impress me at all. The first time I saw this Viper fly, I just knew I had to have one. (I have since built 3 BVM sport jets.)

I believe the owner copied this scheme from a magazine article. It still looks as good as the day it was finished.

It was originally fitted with a KBV 81, but now has 91 R.. And, very occasionally, it gets a flight!!!! I last saw it fly in 2009 when this photo was taken. Man I love the sound of these things coming down hill. And it is still very very fast. It surprises those who have never seen a high performance IC D/F.

Sweet memories..

Roger

Name:	Fd92586.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1717290  
Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What's strange to me is the one BVM airframe that SHOULD be revived for EDF isn't.. The F-16. The BV F-16 was an incredible airplane when the engine was running. If you had a flameout, it was trouble time.. but with EDF.. that's hardly ever a problem. Not to mention it's still the best outline F-16 I've ever seen. It's no surprise when a kit shows up in the classifieds that it doesn't last long regardless of the price.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

What's strange to me is the one BVM airframe that SHOULD be revived for EDF isn't.. The F-16. The BV F-16 was an incredible airplane when the engine was running. If you had a flameout, it was trouble time.. but with EDF.. that's hardly ever a problem. Not to mention it's still the best outline F-16 I've ever seen. It's no surprise when a kit shows up in the classifieds that it doesn't last long regardless of the price.

I agree. I had one back in the DF days and wished BVM made it for electrics. I have trying to find a F-16 for electric thats comparable.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect no one will be complaining if anyone wants to throw some pictures up of their gear from this period. There seemed to be so many beautiful planes out there in fantastic schemes - I'd love to see more!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Frankie Mirandes
My Feedback: (1)

Wow ! The early days.

My first rc jet. The maverick. Flew many years with methanol and the 91, 96, that I still have....

Now converted to electric.

Being honest, is a lot of fun ! and MUCH MORE RELIABLE ! Now my son Ricardo is the Pilot. Great Hobby.

Will dig more old photos.

Cheers

Frankie

Name:	Qn38390.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1729504