Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Large futura prep and painting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Large futura prep and painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Large futura prep and painting

Hey Maikel. We were going to use the drop tanks from your hawk, but they were too big. These are from a Skymaster Hawk 100.
Hi Jeremy,
That Phrase still works, although a little dated now.,, but thanks anyway. I know we are set to fly it this weekend, so hopefully there will be some in flight photos. Not sure about video, but if we get any I will be sure to update.
Regards Al
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best looking Futura I've seen excellent work Phil.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Robrow

Nice work Philip and Ali, you forgot the "God Bless You"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richsnyder/6884769059/

Rob.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ali, just an awesome futura! phil, can you explain how to do the weathering and what materials u you use. could i buy them direct from you? would love to do this to my top gun jet. barry
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Thank you for all your kind words.

I will explain the process of weathering but it is sometime very hard the explain in words.

Unfortunately the next three models I am working on are all big radials, one racer and two warbirds.

Two will be weathered, one polished.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Oops I mean 2 warbirds and 2 racers
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Ok, here goes.

There are two types of weathering, one I call cartoon weathering, this is when you use a stencil and an airbrush, you use the stencil and air brush to create dark edges along panel joints or hatches.

The other method is using artist oil paints. The model will be painted in either cellalous or 2k paints using artist oil paints is a simple and easy way to create a dirty appearance.

This is we're you need nerves of steel to do the next bit, when the model is finished being painted and I mean finished, every colour squadron marking needs to be do otherwise you will have to weather that area again which can cause issues. Get your black oil paint and mix some with a very little amount of white spirit or turpentine, you don't need it runny just a little thinner from what you get out of the tube. Now you need to apply the paint using a cloth and cover the whole model until it is covered.

If you want a light weathering affect then you will need to start the removal process straight away, if not leave to harden for about an hour. You need to remember to wip off in the direction of the airflow, the harder you rub the less weathering you leave behind, now if you find that the oil paint is to heavy (weathering) then put a couple of drips of either thinner on a cloth and wipe off the oil paint, be very careful as the thinner really does thin the oil paint and if you use a lot of thinner the oil paint will disappear completely.

I will stop here and wait for any questions.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Sonicwings

Hi Phil,

Couple thoughts... The satin clear, is a 2k type..? and has no problems going over the oil paint weathering after its had a drying time..? Not prone to fish eye then, needing a additive..?

Do you have, some pics of the Cartoon airbrush type work..?

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Hi Jeremy, as long as you give it time to dry then you will not have any issues with clear coating it. I always recommend making a test piece to test any combination of paints, it's the carrier that is always the problem with clear coating over paint and affecting the paint, making it craze. I have found in the past that enamels are affected by some 2k carriers and can cause devastating issues.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Here a photo of cartoon weathering, you can see some panel edges highlighted with dark paint

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Sonicwings

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the pic of the Rafale, very nice...

Now you say.. it's the carrier that is always the problem with clear coating over paint and affecting the paint

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the carrier..?

cheers Jeremy.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Sorry, the carrier is the thinner, the item not only thins the paint but evaporates so the paint dries quicker
Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Sonicwings

AHHHHHHHHH ok, Makes sense now... Thanks...
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work on the Futura Phil, Looks stunning!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The good news for those of you that have enjoyed this great thread that Phil has kindly put up and updated with his know-how and skills is that I have done my own little bit into making last a whole load longer....
Today's test flight of the Futura did not go quite to plan. To say it was not a success would be an understatement and a half. I think the photos do enough to explain. [:@]
Simple fact of that matter is that with a busy schedule of testing other peoples models, mixed in with a fair amount of complacency. I experienced for the first time that I can remember a situation where I took off with my ailerons reversed! I am not too proud ( Yet very, very embarrassed) to admit it. The really annoying thing is, that I know i check them on more than one occasion. Even worse is that I remember setting the model up on Thursday, and thinking how odd it was that the values on my crow mixing had to be reversed as when i dropped the flaps, both ailerons drooped instead raised[:@]
Right now I fell like all of the **** and ******* under the sun rolled into one. It sure is an expensive lessoned learned for me, and hopefully others might see that no matter how many flights you do, a mistake or an oversight can still sneak in there to bite you in the *****!
The only saving grace is that the damage is limited to the fuselage only. Roll on the Re-prep and Re-Painting thread
Regards Al

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18969.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1737138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23435.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1737139  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ali sorry to hear the sad news, and Phil feel for you too and all the hard work.

marcs
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Sonicwings

Ali,
Lost for words, Feel your Pain... Thanks for sharing, both your pics, and truthful explanation...

Jeremy.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al

The one thing I will say that we were all impressed with your conduct afterwards and I think I can speak for all that were present that we were all gutted for you [&o]

The Futura painted in that scheme looked truly awesome and I for one look forward to seeing it again flying.

That cetainly explains how it started to bank a little at first then it turned into a more accelerated roll rate.

Sorry to see this happen today..

Alan

Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Truthful explanation says a lot about your character. You can tell "TRUE" learning has taken place... It can be argued a mistake that doesn't kill you & you learn from is not really a mistake. To bad it cost $$$.. Sorry for your mishap, she is a beautiful ship!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

UGH! Sorry to hear this Ali!
Really appreciate you turning this misfortune into something that may possibly help us all out. This will give us a graphic image to stick in our heads as a reminder.
I'll be the first to admit I dont always make it a habit to check flight controls before each flight. Ill move surfaces to check if they are working, but Im not always sure if I make a consious note of direction on the ailerons. Ill see them flapping and go!
Posting this must be tough and putting yourself out there for the critics is admirable.
Very Sorry,
Scott
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see that happen Ali, what a shame, that is just a gorgeous airplane and I can't believe I'm saying that about a Futura! The only one I've ever seen that I liked! I hope you get it fixed or replaced as we'd all like to see some flight pics of that beauty!

Regards,

Mike
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Robrow

Absolutely gutted for you Ali and Phil. Classic Human Factors error but on the positive side you will have had a significant impact on flight safety for the rest of us and that type of incident certainly wont happen to you again.

As with full size aviation once the dust settles and calm returns its often interesting to look back and recognise the chain of events that lead to this particular flight critical system getting airborne.

Heard of some ways of extending a thread but this really takes it

Rob.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:42 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Thanks for all your kind words, It is very hard to admit that is was human error and I take my hat to Ali to admit this. I heard minutes after it had happened and I felt so sorry for Ali as I knew how happy he was with this particular model. One good thing is that no-one got hurt and we can fix it, OK a new fuse is necessary but we have the technology to rebuild her.

She will fly again
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
lukeymarine

So sorry Ali ,those who spend may hour's doing what we love to do know's the pain you guy's are going true.[&o]
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
pbusa1400

ORIGINAL: Ali

The good news for those of you that have enjoyed this great thread that Phil has kindly put up and updated with his know-how and skills is that I have done my own little bit into making last a whole load longer....
Today's test flight of the Futura did not go quite to plan. To say it was not a success would be an understatement and a half. I think the photos do enough to explain. [:@]
Simple fact of that matter is that with a busy schedule of testing other peoples models, mixed in with a fair amount of complacency. I experienced for the first time that I can remember a situation where I took off with my ailerons reversed! I am not too proud ( Yet very, very embarrassed) to admit it. The really annoying thing is, that I know i check them on more than one occasion. Even worse is that I remember setting the model up on Thursday, and thinking how odd it was that the values on my crow mixing had to be reversed as when i dropped the flaps, both ailerons drooped instead raised[:@]
Right now I fell like all of the **** and ******* under the sun rolled into one. It sure is an expensive lessoned learned for me, and hopefully others might see that no matter how many flights you do, a mistake or an oversight can still sneak in there to bite you in the *****!
The only saving grace is that the damage is limited to the fuselage only. Roll on the Re-prep and Re-Painting thread
Regards Al

Not good. Ive done it twice before. Once on a BVM F4.. Glad to hear a new one is underway. That scheme looks great on there.

Pablo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.