Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How good are the SAVOX Servos??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How good are the SAVOX Servos??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How good are the SAVOX Servos??

ORIGINAL: bemeson

Ali,
I am very sorry you have had problems with Align Servo's. The critical point you are missing is this. Align is built by Savox, but they are built to Aligns specs and price point. They have margins and thats how they build a servo. Again, this is not and I will repeat this not a Savox servo. The Savox servos are built to their specs and they have a different price point and different margins.

Brian
I brought the same point up to Ali a few post back but his response was that he did try the Savox brand servoalso but still feels the JR's are better.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

THe savox for me(my opinion) just doesnt have the smoothness and centering as the JR, heli guys seem to love them but when your doing 3D center doesn't seem to play an issue just response and speed.
ORIGINAL: ira d

ORIGINAL: bemeson

Ali,
I am very sorry you have had problems with Align Servo's. The critical point you are missing is this. Align is built by Savox, but they are built to Aligns specs and price point. They have margins and thats how they build a servo. Again, this is not and I will repeat this not a Savox servo. The Savox servos are built to their specs and they have a different price point and different margins.

Brian
I brought the same point up to Ali a few post back but his response was that he did try the Savox brand servo also but still feels the JR's are better.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
ira d

I dont own any Savox servos or hi end JR servos but I have no reason to doubt that some feel that JR's are better and it's good these discussions
are going on it mayhelp Savox to step up the quailtysome if they need to.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you buy a savox servo you get some rearly nice flat head allen bolts. Excellent to hold your canopy on
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will stick with my Skyleader and Fleet servos, i have had no problems with them for the past 30 years, why change
Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 AM
marc s

Interesting stuff, its about time one of the RC mags does some decent servo testing, confirming torque, speed and centering abilities based on application of loads simulating flying situations - jet, prop, 3D etc.

We get so many turbine reviews and from what I see the manufacturers specs on these seem to have got much more realistic that maybe its time to focus on the good old servo - its at the sharp end of the system and warrants some in depth testing......

marcs
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a very good thread and this post suggests an excellent idea.

Karol
Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 AM
BaldEagel

There was a comparison done on a lot of servos some time back on a retailers web site, but I can't seem to find it now, I thought it was Todds but it seems to have gone, anyone know where it is?

Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
marc s

Mike needs to be recent and really focused, but post the link if you find it.

marcs
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: marc s

Mike needs to be recent and really focused, but post the link if you find it.

marcs
Don't pick on Mike toooo much. His doctor says that he is doing much better now.

Anyway, us Mikes gotta stick together!!!!

I believe the testing Mike was referring too was on the Troy Built website.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/categ...00/Servos.html

But their testing was really only concerned with actual torque under a load x time under a load.

Take care!

Mike S.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 PM
PHIL GREENO

Well if you think that the cheaper digital servos cant cut it and dont centre watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxuE7z2h2BI
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 PM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Well that video tells me nothing - the proof is when its flight tested on critical control surfaces such as FLAPS.

I recently did the maiden on a BAE Hawk that had several Savox Servos installed, including the Flaps, and I wasn't impressed. Too Sloppy for my set-up standards.

But hey, this is just my opinion!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
PHIL GREENO

The whole point is that the technical specs and quality of servos is improving at an alarming rate.

Those Solar servos retail at only $22.95 thats £15.00. Makes you think how do they do it.

I am not saying I would use them in my own jets, but at £15.00 each with that spec and performance you can not help being impressed.

Phil.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Colin Gontier

ORIGINAL: PHIL GREENO

Well if you think that the cheaper digital servos cant cut it and dont centre watch this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxuE7z2h2BI
Phil, with respect and even though I think the Spektrum / Savox / Align servos are good, that video proves nothing other than the fact that the servo centres well out of the box. Ok that's good so it's not complete junk as I have seen others that don't centre under no load out of the box. BUT surely the centering (and smoothness) can only be judged under load - and consistent load e.g multiple rolls or a bit of stick banging.

By the way I was youngest ever sack race champion in 1978, using a sack of my own design with retractable undercarriage so I could stick my legs out and run and then retract them across the finishing line for maximum points. Second place was a young L Christie who went on to much greater things.

All in good humour
Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: darryltarr

Well that video tells me nothing - the proof is when its flight tested on critical control surfaces such as FLAPS.

I recently did the maiden on a BAE Hawk that had several Savox Servos installed, including the Flaps, and I wasn't impressed. Too Sloppy for my set-up standards.

But hey, this is just my opinion!!!
Why do you think that flaps are a critical control surface. I would have said that flaps are the least critical control we have on our jets. Heck many people fly many planes and never use flaps at all

Deno
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think we get it Phil. I will make sure a representative from Savox gets in touch with you soon in order to hand over your prize

Oh, and by the way. if that video is enough to convince you of a servos quality and perfromance then my thoughts on your quality assessment of the servos you use in your models is confirmed.

We have a much more accurate servo testing rig in the shop. Not really difficult as a small piece of plastic tube taped to the servo horn is not really representative of a control surface and the loads distributed across it on a jet moving at over 150 mph is it? Even then, my real life experience ( Not speculative) have shown that servos that have impressed on the rig in terms or holding power, and centring, can, and have been disappointing in real life applications.

Regards Al

Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
PHIL GREENO

The point i am trying to make is that there are some excellent servos out there from new manufacturers that are actually very good.We have Savox,Spektrum,MKS,Alturn and many more all new to the market in the last few years.

By the way Colin if you think flying an modern F3D pylon racer is like winning a sack race then try and blag a test fly off one of Paul Bardoe's (UKGraupner rep)models and tell me what you think after you land.If you manage to land that is.

All in good humour.

Phil.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Colin Gontier

The point i am trying to make is that there are some excellent servos out there from new manufacturers that are actually very good.We have Savox,Spektrum,MKS,Alturn and many more all new to the market in the last few years.

By the way Colin if you think flying an modern F3D pylon racer is like winning a sack race then try and blag a test fly off one of Paul Bardoe's (UK Graupner rep)models and tell me what you think after you land.If you manage to land that is.

All in good humour.

Phil.
Very good point - very badly made!

You know how I like a challenge Phil - any time, any place, I'm there - bring the video camera! Whilst we're at it shall we do a spot landing competition with a CARF flash at Phoenix - with the spot being errrrr - anywhere on the patch !! Sorry mate but you started it

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41059.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1719717  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Colin Gontier

!! Sorry mate but you started it

People said that about Hitler . Then look what happened
Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 AM
PHIL GREENO

Ali i dont seem to get it.You seem to insist that unless you use JR servos in a Jet your model is going to be unflyable, am I correct ?

Also are you not a Horizon Hobby Sponsored pilot, do Horizon own Spektrum yes,are Spektrum servos not made by Savox,yes.

Are you saying that you donot endorse your sponsers products ???

Regards

Phil.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 AM
PHIL GREENO

Yup any time Colin.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Couch Potato

ORIGINAL: Deno48
Why do you think that flaps are a critical control surface. I would have said that flaps are the least critical control we have on our jets. Heck many people fly many planes and never use flaps at all
Deno
You may not consider flaps as critical control surfaces, but imagine having them and using them and they don't both go to the demanded position on take off/landing due to poor servos, centering/blowback problems.

Then your flaps can start acting as uncommanded ailerons, or screw up your flap/elevator mix so you have to feed in elevator to compensate.
It all depends on the airframe.

Flaps still need decent servos. And as flap position it static and under load for a relatively long time, servo current draw should be considered with all its implications.

Flaps can be a critical pain in the ar$e if they malfunction ! Ask Seleri !
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Duncan

I don't believe anyone has said that Savox servos are rubbish, just that they aren't as precise as some people would like.

Colin, you can have a go with one of my f3d models anytime mate
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I would say Ali is being honest. That goes a long way with me.

If he deos not like them then he should be able tyo say he does not like them. Dont forget he just said the servos are not the best for JET flying because of centering. They might be great for other applications.

Ali i dont seem to get it.You seem to insist that unless you use JR servos in a Jet your model is going to be unflyable, am I correct ?

Also are you not a Horizon Hobby Sponsored pilot, do Horizon own Spektrum yes,are Spektrum servos not made by Savox,yes.

Are you saying that you do not endorse your sponsers products ???

Regards

Phil.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Colin Gontier

ORIGINAL: Duncan

I don't believe anyone has said that Savox servos are rubbish, just that they aren't as precise as some people would like.

Colin, you can have a go with one of my f3d models anytime mate
Duncan - I'd love to have a go, but only if youve got good servo's in the model

I know pylon racing is an extreme part of the sport and very challenging and exhilarating, in fact I was considering having a go at the new electric class this year. I'm sure thats nowhere near the top end of the game but us juniors have got to start somewhere [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.