Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air ambulance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Bob Toilet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air ambulance

Nice pilot skills from the Norwegian heli ambulance! I know it's not a jet, but it is turbine powered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59225.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1719306  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
megafly

Default RE: Air ambulance

Very nice!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
ByLoudDesign

WOW, I saw some tight situation faced my our chopper pilots while in the Coast Guard. But that is pretty ballie, the tip of those blades can't be more the 20' from that hill side!!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he has enough power to hover (and take off again) on one engine or he's in deep doodoo if one fails. I also hope the incident he was going to was worth the risk as it is pretty reckless.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: ByLoudDesign

But that is pretty ballie, the tip of those blades can't be more the 20' from that hill side!!

20' is nuthin'.... This ambulance driver gets much, much closer to the wires.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJSTyOPShOs&feature=fvsr[/youtube]
Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM
marc s

He was doing OK until he spun her round, I'm no pilot but seems he should have continued up till clear and then spun her......

marcs
Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Rookie
Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes you wonder why they landed on the road instead of in the field in the first place, wires are the main thing to look for on a helo landing and its not as if they where not obvious, mind you its easy to be wise after the event.

Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Cuz there is a ditch in between the road and the field. Probably loaded someone on with a gurney.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes you wonder why they landed on the road instead of in the field in the first place
Probably because of the weight of the helicopter. No long skids, just 3 tiny wheels to support several tonnes of helicopter in a squishy field. It looked pretty nose down once it settled. Are some 'rated' for operations from only hard surfaces?

A bad result all round. Power lines torn down, a damaged chopper stuck in the middle of nowhere & they STILL have to transport the patient. [&o] Usually a Medevac chopper is only called for the most serious of cases so I hope the patient recovered. - John.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is lucky the Main blades hit the wire than the tail Rotor.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Its guys like those that give us in law enforcement all the stupid rules and regulations with the night vision problems we are having. A few medevac ships go down and the whole helicopter industry suffers.

What people dont realize is the medevac industry is very competitive and their is usually several different companies all competing for the same patient. Well car crashes happen in poor weather most of the time and helicopters have no business flying. Well hospitals will shop around medevac companies until they find one pilot dumb enough to try it.

MarcS lifting straight up in a helicopter is not optimal. You should stay in ground effect until you build up forward speed or you risk killing yourself in the event of an engine failure. Hovering out of ground effect is one of the most deadly things in a helicopter.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

If it was not worth the effort...the pilot would not have done it. I am sure the person he was rescuing appreciated it.

Beave

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I hope he has enough power to hover (and take off again) on one engine or he's in deep doodoo if one fails. I also hope the incident he was going to was worth the risk as it is pretty reckless.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91831.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1719829  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: bevar

If it was not worth the effort...the pilot would not have done it. I am sure the person he was rescuing appreciated it.

Beave

ORIGINAL: siclick33

+1

The fact of the matter is that most mediac LZ locations are deadly situations, landing on roads, in canyons, ontop of buildings, and so on...add in night operations and all it takes is one slight miscalculation and crap starts stacking up fast. Frankly, I think the crews that fly these missions are heros. They know the risk and they accept it. I am not saying they are reckless, and I am certain they take every possible percaution but they are also willing to operate in situations that other pilots would never even consider. All I know is if I ever need to be medivac'd I hope they come for me....I am fairly sure they will...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
siclick33

I'm sorry but I don't agree. EMS landing locations like roads, car parks, sports fields and even rooftops are not deadly situations.

The patient might have appreciated the effort assuming that it all went well, but I'm sure the patient and his/her family wouldn't have been so happy if the rescue had gone wrong. Balancing a skidded helicopter on a rail is not that difficult so it makes you wonder why you don't see more people doing it!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
SHANEC
My Feedback: (4)

We would balance on logs back in my CFI days. But if I did that at work I would not have a job when I landed back at base
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
ZX11

He carefully pivoted the helicopter around his seat in the video. He should have pivoted around the rotor hub. I bet he thought he had perfectly kept the helicopter in one place. In his mind thinking that something had blown into the rotor instead of him moving into the wires. His seat should have been over the ditch after the pivot. I wonder how many pilots pivot the helicopter around their seat in routine ops. Instead of pivoting around the rotor mast. Must be hard to have a feel for 25' of fuselage behind you. Side to side and up and down is easy because visual clues of the aircraft's dimensions.

Isn't there a rule of thumb on old pilots and bold pilots.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Kometfreak

If he had been 100' closer to the camera he could have done a side step to the left then a left pedal turn.