Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum DX18

Oh hearing this about the channels it does tend to put me off to.

However can someone answer this. If I need 2 servos on the elevator and I mix a proportional channel to a non proportional channel does that work. I am sort of confused as to what a non proportional channel is exactly.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

I am sort of confused as to what a non proportional channel is exactly.

Tim
    It's on or off. Like a toggle switch on retracts, or smoke etc.

Tom
    If I say "what?" she says "I'm deaf!"; if she says "what?", then she says "I mumble!".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

I am sort of confused as to what a non proportional channel is exactly.

Tim
    It's on or off. Like a toggle switch on retracts, or smoke etc.

Tom

Where does it say (officially) that the eight X-plus channels are not proportional??? I've been told by "knowledgeable sources" that the X-plus channels ARE proportional, but that they will have 512 bit resolution, instead of the 2048 bit resolution of the other channels. This is like the old JR 10X transmitter. 512 bit resolution is fine for everything but aileron, elevator and (maybe) rudder. I've also heard that the DX18 will have the option of giving you a full 12 channels at 2048 bit resolution (for full compatibility with current 12 ch. receivers) vs. 9 channels at 2048 bit resolution and 9 more X-plus channels at 512 bit resolution. .... but I'd like someone to confirm that.

Stacey E. (Chuck) Mills
    Charlottesville, VA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, it seems the world wide web has delivered another foolish rumor. Ugh.

Let me clarify.

The radio comes with a 9 channel receiver, and then you can buy the x-plus module which gives you a total of 17 channels. Yes, this is a bit ridiculous. I work here and am in full aggreance with all of you on this.

Next; if you use a 12 channel DSM2 or DSMX receiver, you get 12 channels on the 22 ms frame rate. Hence it is the same as a JR 12x in performance.

If you use a 12 channel x-plus compatible receiver, the first 10 channels are on the 22ms frame rate and then you can add the x-plus module to get the other 8 channels on a 512 update rate. ALL CHANNELS are fully proportional as stated many times before in this thread and on the information regarding the DX18 on the Horizon Hobby website. Channels 11 - 18 can be used for anything you want and are fully mixable, adjustable, to equal the same abilities of the top 10 channels. The only down side is they offer a 512 update rate, not the 22ms frame rate. This is due to the bandwidth on the 2.4 band.

So please, if you are going to offer up information at least read what Horizon has stated in print first before electing to deliver very false info. More than a bit frustrated this morning with this thread and the misinformation that put a few in confusion.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r9020-SPM18000
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.... Never mind.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,
    Many thanks for clarifying, I was certainly starting to get confused but you have answered my question clearly,

Thanks again, (mine's been on order!)

Gary.
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You certainly know how to wind John up, he sounds pd of enough already!
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

You certainly know how to wind John up, he sounds pd of enough already!
    There... I removed my question so no one get more pd off...

Doug.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, thanks for restating / clarifying! In 7 days I'll be at Toledo eager to hold one of these in my hands to get up close and personal with it. Can't wait! I can put just about all 18 channels to work with my Wingspan Models 1/9th B-17 I'm building.

(Off Topic Alert)... one of my frustrations with Toledo is that I get very excited visiting the HH booth and reps and seeing all the cool stuff and not having vendors there selling your great products. (Not referring to the DX18 as I know it won't be available anywhere yet). Guys with cash in hand and a strong instant gratification desire need vendors there selling all your cool stuff! [>:]

djstar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, Thanks for the clarification.
    Team Elite Aerosport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Directly pulled from the DX 18 product page.

"The Spektrum DX18 is a true milestone for RC pilots who operate models with a lot of functions or a lot of servos. It’s the RC world’s first hand-held transmitter with 18 fully-proportional channels. Until the DX18, the highest number of proportional channels in a hand-held transmitter was 16."

With the 512 update rate it is recommended to not use the back 8 channels for flight controls.

I am still frustrated that we offer only a 9 channel receiver with the radio out of the box but I have lost that battle. Using and flying the DX18 has been very nice. I love the feel and programming. Very happy with it through all of the testing.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is even more confusing is that the Horizon Hobby UK site says available. So is it available now if not why say it is talk about customers causing confusion

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36263.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	1747325  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman

''The Spektrum DX18 is a true milestone for RC pilots who operate models with a lot of functions or a lot of servos. It’s the RC world’s first hand-held transmitter with 18 fully-proportional channels. Until the DX18, the highest number of proportional channels in a hand-held transmitter was 16.''

With the 512 update rate it is recommended to not use the back 8 channels for flight controls.

I am still frustrated that we offer only a 9 channel receiver with the radio out of the box but I have lost that battle. Using and flying teh DX18 has been very nice. I love the feel and programming. Very happy with it through all of the testing.

Ah, I completely missed that.

Is 12 the max number of 2048 channels available?
    Team Elite Aerosport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tim, Ugh. Well it is tough to help you guys when we can't even help ourselves. [:@] I will see if I can get this fixed.

Yes, the top 12 channels when used with any 12 channel receiver only (no x-plus) is 2048 resolution.

So if you were to take a currently equiped model with say a 1222 receiver and program up your DX18 it would be the same performance on all 12 channels as your 12X.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tim,

I believe the word available has more to do with the wording regarding the DX2e which is the same line and there is just an odd line break. The guys in the UK are checking it now. I do not believe it has anything to do with the DX18 text as this is a different color and font.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tim,

I believe the word available has more to do with the wording regarding the DX2e which is the same line and there is just an odd line break. The guys in the UK are checking it now. I do not believe it has anything to do with the DX18 text as this is a different color and font.
    Well I sort of wondered that but it was a bit confusing especially because some of the UK Hobby Press seem to be suggesting it is available also. Thanks for looking into it

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think whether they supply a 9ch or 12ch RX as standard will never suit everyone, some like me would prefer it to come as just the transmitter only !
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where is the single unit 18 channel Rx to go with the super duper 18 channel tx ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw a DX-18 today at Classic Jets 50 at Abingdon. Not sure whose it was - either Ali's or Dave's I think. Regrettably I didn't get around to finding out more.

Gordon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

''The Spektrum DX18 is a true milestone for RC pilots who operate models with a lot of functions or a lot of servos. It’s the RC world’s first hand-held transmitter with 18 fully-proportional channels. Until the DX18, the highest number of proportional channels in a hand-held transmitter was 16.''

I am still frustrated that we offer only a 9 channel receiver with the radio out of the box but I have lost that battle. Using and flying the DX18 has been very nice. I love the feel and programming. Very happy with it through all of the testing.
    Curious how they can say that John since the Futaba 18MZ was available and shipping before the DX-18 was even announced.
    Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 18 only has 16 programmable channels Doug. The other two are On/off
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe you can get 24 fully proportional channels with futaba 12 and 14 channel radios by adding an MPDX module.

Doug.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DougV

I believe you can get 24 fully proportional channels with futaba 12 and 14 channel radios by adding an MPDX module.

Doug.
    Man how many channels is it possible to use in any model. I would say 14-16 Max

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about this, for an F-18 .. for the primary flight controls you need two channels (one for each surface) because of the diff and mixes:

You need separate channels for ailerons if you want to use differential: 2
    Flaps: 2 if you want to mix ail to flap like the full scale
    Elevators: 2 if you want to do ailevator mix
    Rudders: 2 if you want to "cant" rudders in or out as full scale
    throttle: 1
    nosegear: 1
    wheel brake: 1
    smoke: 1
    tailhook: 1
    lighting on/off: 1
    speed brake: 1
    operating canopy: 1

that's 16 so far .. for things that are not terribly over the top. I admit it gets a little hard to imagine many more than this though! maybe one more for droppable ordnance to get to 17? I have a Yellow F-18 with all of these except the canopy...I used the 14mz with the MPDX-1 expander .. that gives you 11 proportional full speed/full res, 8 proportional slower update rate (you trade one of the 12 main channels for these 8), and the two digital (on/off) channels for a total of 20. The 18mz or the DX-18 could do this application easily.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have we got a date for availability in the UK yet? Says mid-April on Ali's site.
    Dom Mitchell (YouTube: Essential RC)
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast