Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum DX18

Hoping UK stock comes in soon. Anyone seen an online manual yet?
    Dom Mitchell (YouTube: Essential RC)
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC

Mr G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope this isn't a stupid question to post in this thread, but this is where the Spektrumexperts are circling.

1. What is the difference between DSM2 and DSMX.?

also

2. Is this new Tx backward compatible with the AR7000 Rxs sold withmy old early DX7?

3. When programming flaps on this new Tx, if the flaps are deployed slowly, does the elevator compensation mix get fed in slowly too (unlike the old Txs which bang in the elevator mix and then slowly lower the flaps).??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: alasdair

I hope this isn't a stupid question to post in this thread, but this is where the SpektrumΒ*experts are circling.

1.Β* What is the difference between DSM2 and DSMX.?
    Spektrum DSM of any type (old DSM, DSM2, DSMX) uses direct sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) which produces a wide band (spread spectrum) signal that is quite different from the "hopping" narrow band signal of pure frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS). With DSM2 the transmitter picks two unused frequencies and redundantly transmits the DSM broadband signal on each of these. With DSMX the broadband DSM signal is "hopped" across the band to many different frequencies. Thus, DMSX gives the advantages of both direct sequence spread spectrum (good noise rejection, good interference immunity, "processing gain" that greatly improves range), and the added interference immunity of "hopping."

In my experience DSM2 works extremely well (ie. perfectly) unless you are in a VERY high use area such as the Joe Nall or SEFF where there are many (>40) transmitters active, often at multiple sites.

also

2.Β* Is this new Tx backward compatible with the AR7000 Rxs sold withΒ*my old early DX7?
    Yes, it's compatible with all DSM2 and DSMX receivers, but not the original Spektrum single frequency DSM receivers.

3. When programming flaps on this new Tx, if the flaps are deployed slowly, does the elevator compensation mix get fed in slowly too (unlike the old Txs which bang in the elevator mix and then slowly lower the flaps).??Β*
    I believe the answer to this is yes, but I haven't checked it out yet with my DX-18. Even if the flap system didn't feed in the elevator slowly, which I bet it does, you could do a separate mix that would feed it in slowly.
    Stacey E. (Chuck) Mills
    Charlottesville, VA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3. When programming flaps on this new Tx, if the flaps are deployed slowly, does the elevator compensation mix get fed in slowly too (unlike the old Txs which bang in the elevator mix and then slowly lower the flaps).??Β*
    Many radios have had this feature over the past 10 years. It came to life initially in the original 72mhz JR 9303 and has been a staple in the JR line up since then to include the 2.4 9303, 9503, 11X, and 12X. I am confident Futaba and other radio brands have had this ability as well.

The slow elevator compensation is something found in the higher end competition type radios, not the sport radios like the DX7. A cost/feature thing. Also keep in mind that the listed JR radios will also deploy the ailerons (in a crow mix) slowly as well to ensure all flight controls hit their correct mixed positions at the same time.

The DX18 has this feature built in as well.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my hands on one to play with on the weekend. Looks like a good value to me. Mine shows in a cpl days.

Kevin
    if ya aint burnin well?

KEV-O

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder if you can run the receivers with a power expender.
    I mean if you had lets say a twin turbine Mig 29. At the moment I can only see the 9 channel receiver as being available with the servo expander to give you a total of 17 channels.
    So here we go
    2 channels for Ailerons
    2 x Flaps
    2 x Rudders
    2 x Elevator
    1x Steering
    2 x Throttle (twin turbine so two ecu)
    2 x Kill switch
    4 x Thrust vector
    1 x Brakes
    1 x Gear ( will not include a channel for doors as you can run a sequencer with the gear door channel)
    So that’s 19 channels not including any possible Speed brakes, canopy latch, lights, and any other things you mite have on a high end sophisticated Jet.
    The largest power expender I know of is a 12 channel.
    They do however state not to plug any servos directly to power expender as the servos could take the power away from the receiver causing catastrophic failure of aircraft.
    The reason I talk about the Power expender is because you can use the expender to reduce the amount of channels you are using so you have extra channes.
    Off course you can eliminate all this by using Y leads but if anyone is like me I don’t like using Y leads especially on a jet.
    What's your opinion on this?
    It does not have to be a mig 29 either as I am sure an F14 or A10 with lots of features will quickly use more than 18 channels.
    If this is wrong please correct me as I am open to peoples opinion on this matter.
    Happy flying
    Ivan
    If you have to borrow, you cant afford it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Many radios have had this feature over the past 10 years. It came to life initially in the original 72mhz JR 9303 and has been a staple in the JR line up since then to include the 2.4 9303, 9503, 11X, and 12X. I am confident Futaba and other radio brands have had this ability as well.
    It came to life at least 20 years ago in the Multiplex 3030 Tx, in the early 1990s. It may have been in their radios before then but I am not familiar with the earlier ones.
    H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will this radio be compatible with the JR receivers in DSM2 / DSMX?
    Will you be able to down load data from say an 11X via sd card and down load it to the Spectrum ?

Ivan

I don't see your problem with Y leads for the engine control /kill. I have 2 turbines in the Horten on a Y lead so they only take one channel. I have 6 turbines in the Arado and they have multi Y leads so they all can be controlled and switched off on one channel.

On the Arado I have double elevons so 4 channels for the elevons, 4 flaps but pairs Y leaded together so take 2 channels, 2 rudders Y leaded together so take one channel, steering, throttle, brakes and Retracts. That makes 11 channels, so I have 1 spare if I want variable thrust or make the gun turret move.

John
    John Wright

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

Ivan

I don't see your problem with Y leads for the engine control /kill. I have 2 turbines in the Horten on a Y lead so they only take one channel. I have 6 turbines in the Arado and they have multi Y leads so they all can be controlled and switched off on one channel.

On the Arado I have double elevons so 4 channels for the elevons, 4 flaps but pairs Y leaded together so take 2 channels, 2 rudders Y leaded together so take one channel, steering, throttle, brakes and Retracts. That makes 11 channels, so I have 1 spare if I want variable thrust or make the gun turret move.

John
    Hi John,
    I don’t like Y lead because I don’t like the idea of running high power digital servos on a lead with the same thickness wires as the digital servos. The way I see it is you have two servos on that lead so there will be a lot more strain on the Y lead for these digital servos.
    I also don’t like the idea that if the Y lead decides to have an early retirement I will loose both the servos. If I have themseparate and a servo breaks down I would still have anotherone working so I would still have a chance of bringing the aircraft down.
    I believe that when you are talking about thetop end of the hobby I would do my very best to eliminate the use of these leads a I believe there are better ways around this.
    Yes off course we can then argue the point about receivers, power expenders etc, etc that they can to retire early during a flight but my believe is that the Y lead is just not suited to the larger Digital servos which are commonly used in Jets , and other large aircraft.
    I also appreciate your view on this matter and yes I say that one way to solve this problem is to use y leads.
    I would also would like to heir from some one like me that does not like using Y leads about what he would use.
    Would it be practical to say hook up the9 channel receiver with the Power expander thenHook upthe x +8 to the receiver but power it individually to the receiver if this is at all possible.
    This will off course mean that you will have 4 batteries 2 powering Power expender, and 2 powering the x +8. This will only count if you wish to run dual batteries which I do on all my jets, and Gas aerobatic planes.
    I also state that it does not have to be a Power expender only as I would say that if you use Power Box you will be thinking the same thing. (Correct me if im wrong)

Ivan

I agree that it is best to have all servos with their own plug on the Receiver, but somethings it is just not possible. The logic I use is to have the primary controls in this case the elevons with their own connections to the receiver and on the Arado are also duplicated. The flaps and rudders that are Y leaded use thicker heavy duty servo wires from the servos, to the Receiver. Engine controls have negligible load and can easily be Y leaded.

John
    John Wright

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@ Harry, thanks for the clarrification on the Multiples systems, was not aware of that.

@ Justflying1, the DX18 is compatible with the older DSM2 receivers. It operates on both DSMX or DSM2 as determined by the receiver used. Also you cannot download from the JR11x to any Spektrum radio, or from any JR SD card supported radio to a Spektrum radio. Two entirely different companies.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

Will you be able to down load data from say an 11X via sd card and down load it to the Spectrum ?
    Β*
    You can only transfer setups, either with an SD card or a cable when the two radios are exactly the same brand and the same model. If you think about it that makes sense because otherwise there would be settings or features that were not the same on both radios and how they should be configured would not be specified.... which could be dangerous. To avoid this happening each radio has a specific data transfer format that is not directly accessible by other radios. For example, you cannot transfer SD card settings between a DX-7 and a DX-8, you cannot transfer (with a cable) data between a JR 9303 and a JR 12x.
    Stacey E. (Chuck) Mills
    Charlottesville, VA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys.

I do think it’s a little silly forSpectrum to bring in an 18X but not an 18 channel receiver to go with it or buy separately.
    From what I have seen you get a 9 channel receiver which is compatible with the X+8 expansion module. With my sums adding up to 17 channels.
    Why not bring in a 10 channel Receiverwhich is compatible with the X+8 so you will have 18 channels. Or even better just bring out an 18 channel receiver.
    Fair enough this would not suit everyone to include this in the Kit but, surely they could if been made available to purchase separately.
    If a Rep can come on board, and lighten the situation about availability of these products in the near future that would be great.
    As a jet flyer I would not hesitate in buying an 18 channel receiver. At the end of the day I see this Transmitter ideally for Jet, and other large model aircraft, so a receiver to suit isImportant.
    Don’t get me wrong I have seen this Transmitter, and do like it very much but the receiver issue is just silly.
    Lets hope for everyone, Spectrum open up there eyes and do something about this issue.

To be fair, Futaba doesn't have a 18 channel receiver either and provide 18mz owners (I was one for 2 days) with a 8 channel receiver. Perhaps this is the battle for meeting the lowest expectations.
    Team Elite Aerosport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cant talk about Futaba as I know nothing about them.
    The only Futaba radio I have ever had was for a car and that’s a very long time ago.
    I own the JR 11X, and have just recently purchased a Spectrum 18X which I am very happy with.
    I fully understand that some people would never use so many channels, and to keep the price down they have only offered the 9 channel.
    I must also state that there are also people like myself that would use 18 channels or close to it and would appreciate a receiver with 18 channels.
    NO point owning 18 channel transmitter without the 18 channelreceiver.
    That’s just as silly asbuying a petrol car, and not being able to find fuel for it. (or the rite fuel to operate it to its full potential)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Β*I wonder if you can run the receivers with a power expender.
    I mean if you had lets say a twin turbine Mig 29.Β* At the moment I can only see the 9 channel receiver as being available with the servo expander to give you a total of 17 channels.
    So here we go
    2 channels for Ailerons
    2 xΒ* Flaps
    2 xΒ* Rudders
    2 xΒ* Elevator
    1Β*xΒ* SteeringΒ*
    2 xΒ* Throttle (twin turbine so two ecu)
    2 x Kill switch
    4 x Thrust vector
    1 x Brakes
    1 xΒ* Gear ( will not include a channel for doors as you can run a sequencer with the gear door channel)
    Β*
    So that’s 19 channels not including any possible Speed brakes, canopy latch, lights, and any other things you mite have on a high end sophisticated Jet.
    The largest power expender I know of is a 12 channel.
    They do however state not to plug any servos directly to power expender as the servos could take the power away from the receiver causing catastrophic failure of aircraft.Β*Β*
    The reason I talk about the Power expender is because you can use the expender to reduce the amount of channels you are using so you have extra channes.
    Off course you can eliminate all this by using Y leads but if anyone is like me I don’t like using Y leads especially on a jet.
    What's your opinion on this?
    It does not have to be a mig 29 either as I am sure an F14 or A10 with lots of features will quickly use more than 18 channels.
    If this is wrong please correct me as I am open to peoples opinion on this matter.
    Β*
    Happy flying
    Ivan
    Not to say that running independent things is not good, but at some point we need to be creative.

My F100, with slats, flaps, airbrake, drag chute and all other basic functions was programmed with a 9 channel receiver...

It is all doable if you get creative.

And really, Y's are not a big deal.
    Jack Gerardo Diaz
    BVM Rep, Team Horizon, Team Jet Central

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Jackd
    I do agree with you about being creative if you only have a 9 channel transmitter, or don’t want to run a receiver with any more than 9 channels.
    I have seen plenty of Jets which only had a 9 channel receiver.
    I must also add if the channels are available to me well im going to use them.
    Like I said I don’t like Y leads but have used them before. So I will try my best not to use them but if I have to I will. This is one thing I like about Power expenders, and power boxes, they eliminate the use of Y leads in most cases. (they also have lots of other functions which are very useful when setting larger aircraft.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Β*HI Jackd
    Β*
    I do agree with you about being creative if you only have a 9 channel transmitter, or don’t want to run a receiver with any more than 9 channels.
    Like I said I don’t like Y leads but have used them before. So I will try my best not to use them but if I have to I will. This is one thing I like about Power expenders, and power boxes, they eliminate the use of Y leads in most cases. (they also have lots of other functions which are very useful when setting larger aircraft.)
    Β*
    Of course, if you have them use them, I'm not a masochist haha. By the way, that F100 is now running a 12 channel receiver. I do still need to Y the slats (2 servos per wing) and then, have the slats and flaps go into a matchbox. But the rest is set up independently

now, totally personal preference, but I rather use regular receivers and Y's than power boxes, power expanders etc. I find them terribly complicated. But it is just a matter of personal preference

Jack Gerardo Diaz
    BVM Rep, Team Horizon, Team Jet Central

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Jackd
    If you use a Powerbox switch for example (As many do) the wires from this are the same size as heavy duty servo wires. Hence all the power runs through these wires. Therefore there is no problem using a Y lead from the point of view of power to 2 servos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JackD

HI Jackd
    Of course, if you have them use them, I'm not a masochist haha. By the way, that F100 is now running a 12 channel receiver. I do still need to Y the slats (2 servos per wing) and then, have the slats and flaps go into a matchbox. But the rest is set up independently

now, totally personal preference, but I rather use regular receivers and Y's than power boxes, power expanders etc. I find them terribly complicated. But it is just a matter of personal preference

+ 1 and expensive

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes but when you use a Power expender, Power box switch, these are fail safe. They will only fail in the on position.
    Who cares if they fail you will still have power to everything.
    If your Y lead craps out you loose two servos.
    Like I said everyone has there opinion on different set ups, for all those that wish to use them good on you.
    I was more interested in those who are using the power expender just like me, and how you would hook them up with the 9 channel receiver, and X+ module.
    My thinking is if you hook up all your flight surfaces direct to the expender, and leave the Kill switch, ECU, brakes, gear etc if left over to hook up to the receiver they would not draw enough power to effect the receiver. I could be wrong about this, and would appreciate someone with this experience to direct me the rite way.
    Please Guys Don’t start this tread into an argument of which is the best equipment as I respect what ever you are using. (Futaba, Jr, Spectrum, Hitec, Power expenders, Power Box etc)
    If it works for you well that’s great for you but I would like information on the kind of set up I usually run with my set ups.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dubd

To be fair, Futaba doesn't have a 18 channel receiver either and provide 18mz owners (I was one for 2 days) with a 8 channel receiver. Perhaps this is the battle for meeting the lowest expectations.
    Futaba S Bus gives all 18 channels
    Bart

• Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast