Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum DX18

Thank you all so much, your answers helped out a great deal. I have just started getting the gist behind it. It's probably easier to start anew from the rx, rather then what I was doing, trying to minimize alteration in the set up, just in case if I decide to go back to the 12x. But after playing with it some more, I think I'm liking the 18 pretty good and probably wouldn't worry about going back.

Cheers,
    Barry
    www.kingtechturbines.com
    kingtechturbines@gmail.com
    1-626-793-4677
    1-626-399-7588 Barry's cell/text

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Barry, I know exactly what you mean, I admit to thinking like you were, I was a bit annoyed that the thing was swiping my gear channel, how dare it!
    Eventually the logic dawns and you suddenly realise that this is a really clever bit of kit left to it's own devices, it took me time.
    It can be disconcerting when you are reprogramming your fleet of finely honed complex jets to a new system but of course you always have your base settings, throws etc. to copy from your old transmitter.
    I found it a learning curve well worthwhile pursuing, I'm sure you will also, glad you feel happier.
    Gary.
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Gents

There's a wealth of information being passed in this thread. For those of you who do a lot of programming, most of this makes sense. For guys like me, I struggle. You all know how difficult searching threads and finding what you read some time ago can be.

One of you take the initiative and create an ebook. Maybe even make it a collaborative effort. I know at least one who would get one for his Kindle. I'm sure many more would. The information could be used to help DX8 users as well and I'd be happy to pay for it.

Mr G
    Mr G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I finally figured out that the DX18 was smarter than I am, we got along just fine.
    Bob-O
    I Crashed All My Planes, Can I Fly Yours

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Xantos

Β*Hi guys,
    im setting up a Bobcat with the Spektrum 18X and a Β*Spektrum12020 receiver, TM1000
    power supply is thru a Powerbox Gemini with 2 x 2300 mA LiFe packs.
    ive plugged the TM1000 telemetry module into the data/bind port and batt 1 into batt port and batt2 into the srxl port
    Ive selected the Powerbox option on the transmitter telemetry menu , but I get only a single battery voltage readout.
    there is a single Rx batt voltage option with alarm options which I can't ddisable how do I get both pack voltages on my Tx ?
    you cant.. its nominal bus voltage... you can hook separate volt wire to a separate source like turbine batt.
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We will all get thru the programming woes as we learn.. just remember the twin polarity link.. that alone is worth the price of the upgrade.. I am not looking back.. my numbers have improved dramatically on my receivers..

Dustin has begin to put together a categorical listing of DX18 topics here.. check it out....

http://www.rcjetaddiction.com/forum/...istForCategory
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maidened the 18 yesterday on a battle tested 50cc Spitfire, and unintentionally having to range check it in the air, [X(]
    I must say, love this radio.

Thanks again for all the help,

Cheers,
    Barry
    www.kingtechturbines.com
    kingtechturbines@gmail.com
    1-626-793-4677
    1-626-399-7588 Barry's cell/text

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,
    i am looking for a new radio, since i will start flying jets soon.
    I have an old jr 9303 2.4 and 6-7 RX, but want somthing new.
    I really liked the dx 18, since i can use my Rx. with it, but i saw, somewhere, that it may has some range problems and some glitches in the screen.
    Do you have any issues with it?
    Should i go with it, or maybe get a 12x?
    I don't want to start a brad war here, just wanna know what is better for me and for my $$ jets.
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been using one for some time now, great piece of kit,
    Gary.
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chamma

Guys,
    i am looking for a new radio, since i will start flying jets soon.
    I have an old jr 9303 2.4 and 6-7 RX, but want somthing new.
    I really liked the dx 18, since i can use my Rx. with it, but i saw, somewhere, that it may has some range problems and some glitches in the screen.
    Do you have any issues with it?
    Should i go with it, or maybe get a 12x?
    I don't want to start a brad war here, just wanna know what is better for me and for my $$ jets.
    Thanks.
    Go with the DX-18. I'm not aware of any screen glitches.

The 12x is an excellent transmitter but it is beginning to show its age in terms of features. It doesn't have a lot of the things found on the DX-18 like a memory card, and on-line firmware upgrades to name just a couple.

The DX-18 has the best range of any spread spectrum Tx that I've seen. The crossed antennas on the transmitter really cut down on signal fades. The standard Spektrum/JR DSM2/DSMX transmitters have excellent range due to the signal processing gain from the DSSS processing algorithm, but the DX-18 with the crossed Tx antennas is even better. Many folks with DataLoggers have noted this.

(PS. I'm not affiliated with JR/Horizon/Spektrum in any way and also am not interested in starting a brand war. If you like Futaba stuff, stick with it.)

Stacey E. (Chuck) Mills
    Charlottesville, VA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

w4sm Thanks for the answer, it was very hopeful.
    This is what i am looking here, pro and cons from this brands, without a war.
    I didn`t know that the dx 18 has the best range, even better then the new jr xg11?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry I bothered then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chamma

w4sm Thanks for the answer, it was very hopeful.
    This is what i am looking here, pro and cons from this brands, without a war.
    I didn`t know that the dx 18 has the best range, even better then the new jr xg11?

I don't know much about the new JR XG series. As best I can tell their modulation system (DMSS) is very similar to DSMX but is not compatible with it. If you have a lot of Spektrum receivers, old JR DSM2/DSMX receivers, or Horizon/Parkzone bind and fly models, none of these will be compatible with the new JR XG (DMSS) radios. The only other issue is that JR cannot use separate remote receivers as Spekrum holds the patent on these. That's probably not a big problem. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument here. Futaba seems to work OK without remote receivers, but I'm personally a fan of them, especially in planes with a lot of internal metal, like turbines.

Frankly, I'm at a loss for why JR has abandoned DSMX, at least in the U.S. Because of the huge micro bind and fly Horizon market and the large amount of Spektrum 2.4 GHz equipment already in use (and incompatible with the new JR systems), this is REALLY going to affect their U.S. sales. I'm sure there's a story there between Horizon and JR, but we'll probably never know the details. I could GUESS that on one hand JR was tired of paying Horizon royalties to use DSMX and on the other hand, Horizon was tired of JR's reluctance to meet their requests for new features....
    Stacey E. (Chuck) Mills
    Charlottesville, VA.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone know if when using a 12 channel 2048 resolution receiver whether you get the full 2048 resolution through channels 11 & 12 or do you just get basic 512?

Rob.
    UK distributor: Jets Munt Merlin 90, 140 & 160. Jet Central UK. FADEC ECU\'\'\'\'s UK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: w4sm

I The only other issue is that JR cannot use separate remote receivers as Spekrum holds the patent on these. That's probably not a big problem. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument here.

Where does this information come from? A patent? Many systems allow you to link multiple receivers, would this not infringe on Speks "patent"

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey how about. DX18qq

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Slightly irritating an updated DX18 comes out 3 months after I got this one. Not bothered by the QQ labelling all over it...I can live without that but I read there are improved ergonomics and programming. Sucks if we can't upgrade DX18 to those. e.g. 3 servo per wing matching?
    Dom Mitchell (YouTube: Essential RC)
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@ Rob, you get 22 ms or 2048 resolution when using 12 channels on a 12 channel receiver.

No improved ergonomics on the 18QQ transmitter. Same case and special programming.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman

@ Rob, you get 22 ms or 2048 resolution when using 12 channels on a 12 channel receiver.

No improved ergonomics on the 18QQ transmitter. Same case and special programming.
    Johnny,

What about that special programming, we were all sold on the fact that the DX18 would be software updatable. Even if the software was a small fee I don't think that so many of us would be feeling a little violated right now....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Redman
    OK. Take your word for it John. I mis-interpreted this then "The Special, limited edition DX18QQ Somenzini radio from Spektrum takes the already acclaimed DX18 platform to new heights, offering R/C pilots the very best in control, ergonomics and features as specified and tuned by Quique himself."

Wouldn't mind one of those "Sol de Mayo Transmitter Case"? Can we get those separatley? The regular Spektrum stand up cases don't accomodate the height of the DX18.
    Dom Mitchell (YouTube: Essential RC)
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The dx18 fits in this stand up case just fine ... i cut down the dual transmitter foam insert and now i can use two stand up transmitters in it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-case-SPM6708

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m-set-JRPA710F

I really hope we can atleast get a version of the software that lets you cycle back to the main setup screen without turning the transmitter off and on. John?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found this case on the Maxford USA web site. http://www.maxfordusa.com/otheritems.aspx

For $34.00 It is an excellent case. The Spektrom decals came with the TX from Horizon.

Galen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18449.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	1821031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86191.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1821032  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question for John R........

Are you able to transfer models to the QQ using an SD export/import from my naked 18 or is there an incompatibility associated with software differences on the QQ......hope so as I just completed moving 8 planes from my 12 X.....a bit of a PITA..

TIA.....Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harbor Freight makes a very nice case package, actually 1 for my 18 and a smaller one for all my charging plug adapters....got the package for 29.99 on sale couple of months ago......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

while we are talking programming.. V1.03 is out for a bit now.. with V1.02, I began to see improvement to antenna counts.. of course hard to quantify, but it seemed to improve a bit on both modulations.. There must have been a small RF tweak to it over V1.01.
    Goose

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast