Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum DX18

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX18

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

But what good is CHEEP if it keeps crashing airplanes lke the 5-6 and 7 models?
I bet 99% of all the RC crashes that are not caused by pilot error, are due to poor installation/maintenance.
The radio no matter what brand gets the blame a lot, I have seen loads of models especially sport prop planes with battery's and receivers just lying unfixed in a fuselage with just a bit of foam wedged between them and the wing, then they wonder what happened when all of a sudden it spins in.

With my fullsize inspectors hat on I would be in favour of all jets having to pass an installation test (like done for large models) before being allowed to fly.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could not agree more, the chaps on my site that had unexplained problems with 35Mhz seem to have the same problems with 2.4Ghz, unexplaind arrivals and loosing signal (so they say) in all sorts of situations, one of the regular occurancies with one chap is comming on site with a fully discharged battery, "can't understand it I charged it last night", why is it these people are the same ones who do not accept advice when given in good faith, could go on, but not the point of this thread.

Mike
Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM
PHIL GREENO

If you come to the UK and fly at any of the Classic Jet meets at Abingdon your model will be scrutinized and your instillation checked over before you can fly (usually by Geoff White)

You also have to demonstrate that your failsafe is operating by shutting down your turbine to idle when your transmitter is turned off.

Phil.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ColinJ

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

you can have 5 of them for in price of a futaba 18mz, makes the futaba price even more ridiculous
Why do you say that
I say that because the Spectrum 5-6-7 are Old Tech. 5 years is old in this hobby now. These radios operate on just 2 f the 80 or so channels of our2.4 Frequency band (SPECTRUM) These channels ar picked on the ground when the radio is turned on, Not necessarly the best pair at 300'. Other Radios msy have picked the best pairs before. This Technology also allows the 5-6-7- spectrums to pick 2 adajacent channels so if one gets interferance the other is likely to suffer the same interfearence.
Since about Dec 1 of 2011 I have personally wittnesed 13 models crash with no control and the pilot stand there and look at his Spectrum or (JR Using a spectrum receiver) and wondering what has just happened. Now weather they were all Radio Failure or some type of Battery (BROWNOUT) or instaltion error, who knows ... I just believe that Full FREQ Hopping (The newest Technology) to be far seperior ...IMHO
But that is why I made that statement ...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
HoundDog

I bet 99% of all the RC crashes that are not caused by pilot error, are due to poor installation/maintenance.
The radio no matter what brand gets the blame a lot, I have seen loads of models especially sport prop planes with battery's and receivers just lying unfixed in a fuselage with just a bit of foam wedged between them and the wing, then they wonder what happened when all of a sudden it spins in.

With my fullsize inspectors hat on I would be in favour of all jets having to pass an installation test (like done for large models) before being allowed to fly.
Maybe not 99% but close ... Read my other post on the Spectrum 5-6 &7 2,4 systems. But still I think the same goes on this side of the POND most crashes are by the same People that have always crashed on 72 Mhz No Matter what Radio Brand they Use. It's more a matter of Poor attention to detail. IMHO ...
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you read anything about DSMX? If you did, you would find out that your statements are incorrect. The older radios can be modified to bring them up to the DSMX standard. Most people will never need the upgrade due to flying in an environment of one or two other guys. All of those "concerns" have been addressed. My personal experience of over 4 years flying these radios is that I have never been able to blame the radio, without doubt, for a crash. Just one point of data on my experience.

You can have 5 of them for in price of a futaba 18mz, makes the futaba price even more ridiculous
Why do you say that
I say that because the Spectrum 5-6-7 are Old Tech. 5 years is old in this hobby now. These radios operate on just 2 f the 80 or so channels of our2.4 Frequency band (SPECTRUM) These channels ar picked on the ground when the radio is turned on, Not necessarly the best pair at 300'. Other Radios msy have picked the best pairs before. This Technology also allows the 5-6-7- spectrums to pick 2 adajacent channels so if one gets interferance the other is likely to suffer the same interfearence.
Since about Dec 1 of 2011 I have personally wittnesed 13 models crash with no control and the pilot stand there and look at his Spectrum or (JR Using a spectrum receiver) and wondering what has just happened. Now weather they were all Radio Failure or some type of Battery (BROWN OUT) or instaltion error, who knows ... I just believe that Full FREQ Hopping (The newest Technology) to be far seperior ...IMHO
Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Have you read anything about DSMX? If you did, you would find out that your statements are incorrect. The older radios can be modified to bring them up to the DSMX standard. Most people will never need the upgrade due to flying in an environment of one or two other guys. All of those "concerns" have been addressed. My personal experience of over 4 years flying these radios is that I have never been able to blame the radio, without doubt, for a crash. Just one point of data on my experience.

You can have 5 of them for in price of a futaba 18mz, makes the futaba price even more ridiculous
Why do you say that
Since about Dec 1 of 2011 I have personally wittnesed 13 models crash with no control and the pilot stand there and look at his Spectrum or (JR Using a spectrum receiver) and wondering what has just happened. Now weather they were all Radio Failure or some type of Battery (BROWNOUT) or instaltion error, who knows ... I just believe that Full FREQ Hopping (The newest Technology) to be far seperior ...IMHO
Well then I suggest U get thrm modified or lesrn how to install these recievers or get bigger batteries because these Radios qre crashing planes at a fantastic rate. When an instructor stands and looks at the radio right after a students plane goes NUTZ and plants it's self I wouldn't blame it on the instructor and I'm not the only instructor to whom it's happened.
It's sorta like their first 2 renditions of XPS Receivers. 5 or so years ago. They finally instutited full Hopping and solved their problem. With Spectrum 5-6-7 radios it's not if, butjust a mater of time. IMHO

Old 02-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

I've have 14 flyable planes and haven't lost any to a radio issue the past 3 years. What is this fantastic rate you speak of ?

Spellcheck, it's your friend.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 AM
meowguy

One of the nicest features of the DX8 is the SD card slot. I don't see that in the write up for the DX18 on the Spektrum site. That would be a real shame not to have that on this new Transmitter.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, it is there.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Jusdonnerz

Is there any release date on this baby? As I have a dx7 it would be a nice.upgrade n also keeping to spektrum
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

In exactly the same boat. Expected end of Feb apparently. Got my order in already.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Jusdonnerz

Who did u order it off mate?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Duncan

I placed my order with Al's Hobbies. Pre order link here http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=48971
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
John Tancock

Duncan, why settle for second best! It's not really an 18 channel set, even with the plug in module, it won't let you use all channels!
Besides, you can afford an 18 MZ! Anyway are you booked into Long Marston?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Duncan

Probably because I have over 20 models all on spektrum, which has never failed me. I've never had a lockout so see no reason to change. Plus 2k on a tx is ridiculous when I could get this and a VT80 for the Mach 1 for the same price

Realistically I'm never going to need 18 channels either, a 12x would do for all my models the same as it does for all of Ali's and mine are no where near as complicated as his.

Yep I'm all booked in for the JMA do and the show mate.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Duncan

Double post. Damn forum
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM
fly24-7

you can have 5 of them for in price of a futaba 18mz, makes the futaba price even more ridiculous
I've got a 5-year-old DX7 and have never had a crash that was due to a radio problem. I must have the ONLY 5, 6 or 7 channel Spekrtum that doesn't cause crashes? AWESOME!!! It'll be worth a few extra bucks when I go to sell it on ebay some day...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Have you read anything about DSMX? If you did, you would find out that your statements are incorrect. The older radios can be modified to bring them up to the DSMX standard. Most people will never need the upgrade due to flying in an environment of one or two other guys. All of those ''concerns'' have been addressed. My personal experience of over 4 years flying these radios is that I have never been able to blame the radio, without doubt, for a crash. Just one point of data on my experience.

Why do you say that
Since about Dec 1 of 2011 I have personally wittnesed 13 models crash with no control and the pilot stand there and look at his Spectrum or (JR Using a spectrum receiver) and wondering what has just happened. Now weather they were all Radio Failure or some type of Battery (BROWN OUT) or instaltion error, who knows ... I just believe that Full FREQ Hopping (The newest Technology) to be far seperior ...IMHO
Well then I suggest U get thrm modified or lesrn how to install these recievers or get bigger batteries because these Radios qre crashing planes at a fantastic rate. When an instructor stands and looks at the radio right after a students plane goes NUTZ and plants it's self I wouldn't blame it on the instructor and I'm not the only instructor to whom it's happened.
It's sorta like their first 2 renditions of XPS Receivers. 5 or so years ago. They finally instutited full Hopping and solved their problem. With Spectrum 5-6-7 radios it's not if, butjust a mater of time. IMHO

Sorry bro. I wouldn't go to that radio hopping dsmx stuff. Do you even fly jets?

My old 12x is working like a champ.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
HoundDog

The 12X is a whole different animal from the cheep 5-6-7's isn't it. I Guess their OK for the Small "LETRICS" and such. Ya know cheep stuff,
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

I've got a 5-year-old DX7 and have never had a crash that was due to a radio problem. I must have the ONLY 5, 6 or 7 channel Spekrtum that doesn't cause crashes? AWESOME!!! It'll be worth a few extra bucks when I go to sell it on ebay some day...
It's your choice to use Old Technology. Given the choice to UPGRADE to a better system Y Not ... U dumped 72 Mhz for 4.2. Y not Hopping?
72 Mhz worked just fine. It's like Model match If U need a crutch to make sure U are flying the correct plane maybe we should go back to 1 Radio for each plane too. The more Fool Proof they try to make things the more Fools we become. Pretty soon people will just stop thinking all together. Bad enough that people for get to hook up ailerons, charge batteries or just do stupid things and crash.
Whats that saying "U just can't fix STUPID".
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

It's not really an 18 channel set, even with the plug in module, it won't let you use all channels!
Hi John

Spektrum have a 10-channel and a couple of 12-channel Rx's shown on their website and lined up for release shortly. Whilst the website isn't clear (to me anyway) as to whether the 10-chan is X-Plus compatible, the two 12-chans are. So it will be possible to use all 18 channels - not forgetting the £££ for the replacement Rx.

Gordon
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Duncan

You can't fix arrogant either. I'm not sure why you are posting on a thread about a new product if you having nothing positive to say or any intention of using it. Have you taken over from Dennis since his ban?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
jetster81

Not sure what's happening on this forum these days. The way I see it is that everyone should have the right to voice an opinion as long as it is within the bounds of the site rules,likewise,everyone should have the right to disagree with said opinion or ignore it which ever suits. No need to lambaste someone who is not in love with your brand of radio, perhaps he has good reason, why not ask?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But it cuts both ways, guys come on and rubbish a product before it's even been released. No one has used it and is in a position to give useful feedback who's posted in this thread, it's all just inane, opinion based speculation.
I use a certain brands of equipment in my planes. They work great for me, there are many other brands which work great for other people as well. There are many ways of going out and having fun with toy planes without everyone feeling the need to moan on the internet because people use different gear to what they use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.