Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

futaba 8fg super for jet turbine flying?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

futaba 8fg super for jet turbine flying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
SniperWj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 8fg super for jet turbine flying?

hi all,

im futaba user been using futaba 10cap 2.4 for sometime with great success!

as for now im putting an ultra flash togather seems like im running out of ch
on my 10cap!

i would like to setting up craw on uf so flaperon is a must,i do not want to
missout the smoke pump so it took another ch also e brakes valve ....

unlike my p20 habu32 it design for using Y to run two servo for elevator also Y on flaps so my 10c no issues but not for ultraflash!

while im doing some research on futaba 8fg super,seems like the radio do able with 12ch propotion +2 switch ch which fit what i need.

the problem is i never seen/read any pilot using 8fgs flying jet turbine....that make me think....because it giving me the feel/looks like a park flyer tx in my eye...

im in the safe side with the 8fg super?

ps:im not ready to spend on 18mz i know that is best solutions so pls skip that.

YiMing

Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: futaba 8fg super for jet turbine flying?

The 8FGA would work fine the 12FGA has some nicer features
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YiMing

I have an 8FG and the upgrade to 12+2 channels has only been out a short time, so not many people using all of them, I mistakenly bought the 8FG thinking I could use it as a back up to my 12FG, but they do not talk to each other so I have two 12FG's instead, if your budget can be stretched a bit further get the 12FG it has much more functionality than the 8FG and the bigger screen make programming much easier.

Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
raptorlogo

Hi YiMing,

I am using a T8FG upgraded with the latest 4.1 firmware to 12+2 channels and a T12FG.
They are only few minor differences between both senders.
The T8FG will be a great system for your Flash and is much cheaper than the T12FG

Alain
Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

YiMing,
I have the 14mz and my son has an 8fg. He hates using my 14mz because it is too big for him so I setup one of my 10 channel jets on his 8fg and let him fly it. It works perfectly fine. It has everything you need to do a setup on a jet but does lack some of the higher end features of my 14mz, but is very comparable to my 9z which I flew jets with prior to my 14z. I guess to answer your question will it work..yes it will. I have not had any issues with the upgrade to 12+2 on his radio.

Patrick
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM
SniperWj

R_Belluomini

noted! tks!

BaldEagel

tks for the ideal!
im try to cheap on the 8fgs so that i shorthen the time to get 18mz(if the 18mz turn out positive feed back from everybody)

YiMing

Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: raptorlogo

Hi YiMing,

I am using a T8FG upgraded with the latest 4.1 firmware to 12+2 channels and a T12FG.
The T8FG will be a great system for your Flash and is much cheaper than the T12FG

Alain
Alain

The 12FG is a far more capable unit than the 8FG just have a look at the standard mix's on the 12FG plus the amount of P mix's available, on the 8FG you would use up all the P mix's just trying to get close, I think you need to use your 12FG more often. LOL

Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 8FG is the worse radio I have ever programmed and I've used a 9Z. It's a capable radio as long as you can get past the unintuitive menu structure.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
raptorlogo

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: raptorlogo

Hi YiMing,

Alain
Alain

The 12FG is a far more capable unit than the 8FG just have a look at the standard mix's on the 12FG plus the amount of P mix's available, on the 8FG you would use up all the P mix's just trying to get close, I think you need to use your 12FG more often. LOL

Mike
Mike,

For 99% of RC pilots, the T8FG has sufficient capabilities.
I am use to programm in depth both T12FG and T8FG (F3B/F3J gliders, 3D helicopters and jets) and I can tell you that for the most common human rc pilots the T8FG is a winner.

If we talk about Futaba the T8 is a very good compromise in terms of cost and overall perfomance.

I respect your own opinion and you should do the same with me.

Alain
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
scaleMan
My Feedback: (92)

since the question was "futaba 8fg super for jet turbine flying?" not, which radios are better than the 8fg, YES a Futaba 8fg will be more than adequate to fly a jet.... peace out
Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can make all your channels work, the 8F super will be fine. I had one for years and it was rock solid. Great little TX.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

It will work better than a Futaba Super 7, my first jet radio. You will be in good shape amigo, the bigger radios certainly provide more options though.
Good luck
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been using mines for about 9 months now and its all i need and never a glitch. Its a great radio for the price.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I checked out a buddies 8F. It appears to not have a servo slow function like my 14mz. If some one found how to do that would be great info.  Dan
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
garyr1

There are a couple of slow functions I have found on my 8FG Super.
I have one running flaperons slowly in flaps up/down...really nice.
There is also something on throttle that I believe I saw, but it does not apply to my gasser and glow kites so I haven't used it.
I'm new to this radio but so far it's very nice.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the 8FG for a couple months now. I have a large EDF using all 14 channels, no problems. There are efficient ways of programming it and inefficient ways. I originally used all 5 mixes, now I am just using 3. I even am using it as a gear door sequencer on a 3 way switch.

I am currently building two turbine powered jets and I will bre using the 8FGs. I have about 20 or so flights on it and not a hickup.

The only complaint I have is using a 7CH rx with my HABU 32. Using a single aileron channel and Y harness, it does not auto setup flaps. You have to usea mix tothen to setup flaps. BUt that is based on what I know now, there may be a better way.

THe mix is to have elevator mixing with the flaps, which is usually setup without a mix when using 2 aileron + 1 flap

There needs to be an option, 1 aileron, 1 flap.

I have not seen the slow servo function but I have found ways to not have to rely on that.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
essyou35

Gary1, where are the slow functions you found?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Cratus
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely. I'm learning to fly my BVM Super Bandit withthe 8FG. The new Futaba wireless training system is fabulous, too.However, I do agree that programming a model (giant scale warbirds and jets is what I’m familiar with) for the first time can be complicated. My buddy helped me with the programming, so it was painless. I'm very pleased with the radio and 6014-receiver combination.<o></o>

<o></o>

Best<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: skydve76

There are efficient ways of programming it and inefficient ways. I originally used all 5 mixes, now I am just using 3. I even am using it as a gear door sequencer on a 3 way switch.

I completely agree with the above statement. It seems that modelers are stepping away from properly setting up a model first by mechanical means and then by correcting any bad tendencies with mixes.

Patrick
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
essyou35

Keep in mind that before the 8FGs, the 8FG was 8 channel.  8 Channels is hard to pull off on a turbine with brakes, retracts, gear doors etc..  Its doable but not the ideal situation.  Now that it is 14 channel its good to go.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
SniperWj

i will not go over to 12fg as the 8fg super fits my need i d use up all those 12p mix!

i have some more time to conside as my new engine still with ali,also u/c from dreamworks is out of stock.

today our lhs landed some 18mz it looking sooooo cool! i know the 8fgs will work for me but that is what i want but not something i need!

after spending all those $$$ on ultraflash and related the 18mz at Sdg$4300 price tag i need to think twice~nmv i still hv time to dream bout it!

im realy pleased my question has been consider and come out solutions and helpfull input.

thanks every one here spend your time to reply! thankyou guys and thankyou rcu!

Yi Ming
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Yi Ming the 8FG Super is a really nice radio. I want to make sure you know that you can use the 6014 rx with your radio too.
I am looking into the servo slow feature for you and will let you know what I find out after this weekend.
Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
SniperWj

bob

as for servo slow I'm using "condition" to slow servo but it only limited to sailplane mode on my 10c.
I force to using sailplane mode to fly my high power gliders because the need of servo slow.

as for habu32/p20 I'm using triple switch to achived full flaps/half flaps on acro mode.no servo slow on acro mode.
it flying well still but it will be a plus if having servo slow.

I don't mind getting 8fgs to try it out if jump ship to 18 I can easily to sell it off as the 8fgs kinda hot cake at the moment.
no hurry the UF going to take some time..at the mean time life as usual because I'm still hv my good trusty 10c to torture
all my planes !

Yi Ming
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
GrayUK

The 8 FG is fine for turbines, i have flown at least 4 turbine models on it with no issues.
If you can go for the 12FG it is better on the program side, servo slow is very good for flaps and the sequencing / logic functions are great for UC doors etc.
Both use the FASST system so the RF is the same and rock solid.
Never had a glitch on either system.

Paul G