Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hawker Hunter 1/6th scale ARF from Flying Legends

I have  a 3+ week trip series starting tomorrow, so no work on the Hunter for awhile.

Wings are finally fitted out, rear fuselage and tail group complete, leaves the main fuselage section to go.
Progress on the main fuselage:  
The nose gear is all set up, next the fuel tanks then the rest of the internals.

Must note to check the fit of the external tanks to see if mine interfere with the doors like Sean's.

Next report after May 15th or so..........

-Mike

Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Sean,

Will we see it at Hamburg in October??

Bob
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope to have it there before then...I joined that club this year. [8D]
Are they just having the one event this year or are they hosting liberty bell as well?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Sean,

I heard that Mike Lesher is hosting Liberty Bell this year at its' usual location.

Great bunch of guys at Hamburg!

Bob
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Jamie C

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

We expect the European kits end of this week, beginning of next.

Dw
I hope so, very keen to get started on this one! have a 140RX waiting for its Hunter home aswell as most of the other avionics to complete it. I have made space and i am not starting anything else until this has been finished! Even my dad is starting to take an interest in this one, he will get a shock when the courier wheels that huge box in through his shop door!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
smchale

Anyone know what navigation/position lights are on the full scale Hunter?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I received the Hunter yesterday so now it's time to start putting it together. I started with working on the wings. The first thing I did was remove and clean the main gear. They were covered in something gritty but I'm not sure if it was sand or what it was. I'm using Futaba S9072SB servos on all surfaces except the elevators which will be JR DS3421. The aileron and flap servos were programmed and a sbus cable was run into each wing. The servos were plugged in to the sbus cable and they were tested for proper operation. The servo mounting tabs needed a small bit of adjustment in order to get the servo arm to line up with the control horn slots in the ailerons and flaps. I used a small straight edge to accomplish this. Lastly, the pylons were attached to the wings.

Kirk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13745.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1755091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72715.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1755092  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 AM
smchale

Nice start Kirk. What angle brackets did you use? BVM? Did you need to drill or redrill the mounting holes on the servo side?

I mentioned a couple small issues with my kit. First there is a crack (pic 1) in the nose that looks like it should be easy enough to repair assuming i can get a good paint match.

Also the left main gear door presses up tight to the wing tank when mounted (pic 2). The pylons are unique to each side but it looks like the tanks may be identical so I'll swap the tanks and see if that works. If not I'll need to give the tank some attention. I think adjusting the door will cause an issue on retraction. Certainly nothing insurmountable. The right wing is fine. (pic 3)

I've pulled the gear out as well and cleaned them up. I'm not a fan of the stiff airlines so I'll swap that out. My stab packaging had a bunch of sand in it but it easily brushed off and doesn't appear to have effected the finish.

The other initial observation is that I planned on using a 1:6 scale pilot but even with a bunch of surgery to him and the seat he looks a little too big in the office. (pic 4-5). I'm going to try a 1:7 scale RAF pilot and see if he looks better in there. I'll need to remove the canopy before and after every flight so I need to make part of the cockpit attach to it to ease that process. I'm thinking the instrument panel and hood will remain in the airframe and the pilot, seat, and part of the tub will remain fixed to the canopy. Sure this is merely a cosmetic aspect, but how I handle the cockpit area will dictate how much space I have below to mount equipment.

Name:	Db85438.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1755136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19437.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1755137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98874.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1755138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30853.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1755139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91791.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1755140  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: smchale

Nice start Kirk. What angle brackets did you use? BVM? Did you need to drill or redrill the mounting holes on the servo side?

I mentioned a couple small issues with my kit. First there is a crack (pic 1) in the nose that looks like it should be easy enough to repair assuming i can get a good paint match.

Also the left main gear door presses up tight to the wing tank when mounted (pic 2). The pylons are unique to each side but it looks like the tanks may be identical so I'll swap the tanks and see if that works. If not I'll need to give the tank some attention. I think adjusting the door will cause an issue on retraction. Certainly nothing insurmountable. The right wing is fine. (pic 3)

I've pulled the gear out as well and cleaned them up. I'm not a fan of the stiff airlines so I'll swap that out. My stab packaging had a bunch of sand in it but it easily brushed off and doesn't appear to have effected the finish.

The other initial observation is that I planned on using a 1:6 scale pilot but even with a bunch of surgery to him and the seat he looks a little too big in the office. (pic 4-5). I'm going to try a 1:7 scale RAF pilot and see if he looks better in there. I'll need to remove the canopy before and after every flight so I need to make part of the cockpit attach to it to ease that process. I'm thinking the instrument panel and hood will remain in the airframe and the pilot, seat, and part of the tub will remain fixed to the canopy. Sure this is merely a cosmetic aspect, but how I handle the cockpit area will dictate how much space I have below to mount equipment.

The angle brackets I used are left over parts from various kits. They have pre-drilled and tapped holes on the servo side. The 9072 mounting holes lined up with the servo side holes on the bracket.

I agree, the pilot looks too big for the cockpit. I haven't purchased a pilot yet so I'm interested in seeing how the 1/7th scale pilot fits.

Kirk

Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean:

XG152 lives on albeit in Luftwaffe livery - some good detail photographs including lights at http://vorbild.ipmsdeutschland.de/Wa...ter/index.html

Dennis
Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Tinpusher

Luftwaffe livery and roundels? Hmmm.....

About the lights: Since I am awaiting my kit to become a member of the european Hunter Force I already pulled out the "Wings Of Fame" Vol 20 and the MDF Vol 16 book (SAM publications). No pic or drawing showed external lights apart from the red/green/white position lights on the Hunters in Air Force service. No retractable landing lights, rotating beacons etc.

I will go EDF (Schübeler HST 94).

Frank
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Colin Gontier

UK stock is here! Any of those who ordered from the UK dealers should therefore be getting them soon. My boxes have just got here so those who ordered from Boomerang should expect a big box in the next few days . Im going to unpack one in a minute and get started as I've got to get another one flying !
Old 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Tinpusher

That's great news! Thanks Colin.

Looks like the model is supplied without the stencilling. Ralle from Tailormadedecals shares some nice drawings on his website (assuming that the MK6 doesn't differ from the depicted MK9).
If someone is interested, go tohttp://www.tailormadedecals.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=63&I temid=34

Frank

Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Yep, Jamie was in earlier looking over his kit collected himself from Ripmax, we have 2 pallet loads of kits arriving tomorrow

Dw

Name:	Jh14686.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1755232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22387.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1755233  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Jamie C

Bloody hell i need to lose weight!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jamie C

too many cakes at patisserie valerie at cribbs!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM
John Tancock

YEP!
The plane does look good though FATTY! LOL!

Nice one Jamie, looking forward to see this one go.

Regards

Slap Head.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Home many biscuits you eat again?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Jamie C

I got the call telling me they were in stock this morning, being keen to get my hands on one i arranged to collect it from Ripmax and i was in the car and gone!! easy trip up with no traffic and on the way back! M25 was kind to me. After a quick look at Dave's i got back home and pulled everything out in the workshop, very pleased! undercarraige assemblies really are quite substantial units and the rams for the doors looked to be of a good size and quality and they are smooth in operation, the airworld style steering servo mount is a much better idea than the crude cable set ups.

I wanted to start work tonight but i have to go out for dinner with the 'blonde one' apparently spending time together is what people do when they are in relationships?? sounds like alot of work to me! and it does interfere with flying and quality time in the workshop. It does mean that she will probably have a couple of bottles of wine so she will be vulnerable later!

Name:	Ec89175.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1755238  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
smchale

ORIGINAL: Colin Gontier

UK stock is here! Any of those who ordered from the UK dealers should therefore be getting them soon. My boxes have just got here so those who ordered from Boomerang should expect a big box in the next few days . Im going to unpack one in a minute and get started as I've got to get another one flying !
Great news guys! Colin, remember to burn me a set of tank mounts when you run your next set. Send me a PM with cost and I'll send payment via paypal with my address. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
ColinW

I think that the RAF single seat Hunters only had nav lights - real men don't need landing lights or anti cols! They were very difficult to see in the night skies of Lossiemouth when the TWU were night flying.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
V2PLUS10

I think if you look at photo #8 of the Luftwaffe airplane, you will just see a flush mounted taxi/landing light in the gear door. The door is closed in the picture.

There must be other retractable lights somewhere....or maybe not!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Selleri

Congrats on the new birds, man do I want one! [8D]

Don't worry mate, they say the camera adds 10 pounds... so how many cameras did you have on you?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

"I think if you look at photo #8 of the Luftwaffe airplane, you will just see a flush mounted taxi/landing light in the gear door. The door is closed in the picture.

There must be other retractable lights somewhere....or maybe not! "

Maybe, but I took extensive pictures of the one at the Singapore Air Force Museum back in February and it did not have any?

Z

Name:	Ki18333.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1755416  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM
k_sonn

Got a little more work done but no photos. While the main gear were out of the wings, I removed and added thread locker to all of the screws. I removed the axle and ground flats on each side so the set screws have something to grip. I replaced the air lines with the ones I use and the brake air line was added. Nothing wrong with the air lines included, its just I have a color coding system and perfer to stick to it. The air lines were routed out of the wing root and the gear were reinstalled.

No more work on the Hunter tonight. I'm taking her out to a club meeting for show-n-tell.

Kirk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.