Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Discussion on the auto stabilation trend....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Discussion on the auto stabilation trend....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion on the auto stabilation trend....

This topic is a little out of place, but since I reguard turbine pilots as generaly the most professional, and best pilots in the industry as a whole I thought it was apropriate here. I also see it affecting our models (turbines) shortly. Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by the latest auto pilot crap. Alot of people have been talking about e flight's new stabilization system, and now I see another setup claiming to halfway fly the plane for you even doing 3D. I'm a loooong time modeler, and started when I was 11. Back then planes had high wing loadings, and landed fast. When I started 3Ding, planes weren't built to 3D, and it was difficult to learn to say the least. When I did get the hang of it I was proud of my accomplishment. I feel like if you can't do it without a buddy cord you shouldn't be allowed to fly that model PERIOD ! I also understand the eflight system lets you do whatever you want whenever, but I don't care what the wind is doing, i want to shoot crosswinds, or correct for a 30 mph gust. Dosn't the simulator get boring after a while. This is what our planes will soon fly like. Also access to fields will be horrible when it gets too easy to get into flying. We could overflow our fields very easily by allowing to easy access. Seeing all these electronics allowing 1'st year pilots to fly planes it took me 5 years to fly just dosn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, I like to see everyone enjoy themselves, but its much more satisfying to actually fly the plane yourself. I fear the day when all recievers come with stabilization and they remove the joy from my hobby to please the masses. Its gonna happen; where are the kits at ? can you buy a car without traction control, or ABS ? Or should I just accept it. I started in this hobby because of its challenge. What's your thoughts ? Are electronic aids going to dilute the hobby ?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Discussion on the auto stabilation trend....

I tend to agree with what you are saying. In no means should the new systems be outlawed... but they shouldn't allowed in competition. If you want to compete in a 3D, or scale masters event... I think it should be 100% pilot.

For years, guys have put simple gyro's in the rudder, and even Futaba sold a "Auto-pilot" system for training. They never really caught on. (probably because of price) The newer systems have gotten cheap and small, and really are taking the piloting skills out of the equation.

Personally, I have a little CPMx heli. It has the 3x gyro, and flybarless head. This tiny little helli flys better than some of my big helis, and it can do hands off, inverted hovering. (crazy)

I don't think the radio manufacturers will do a blanket revamp of the Rx's to add the stabilization... but I'm sure they will start to add it as an option.

To sum it up... I like them, but they should NEVER BE ALLOWED IN COMPETITION !!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First I think they are coming, but won't be as simple to use in a big 3D or turbine as they are on these smallmass market planes that have been tuned by the manufacturer.

I don't know for sure but my guess is that these new systems are exploiting the same chipsets as those used in Wii controllers/smartphones where you have 3 axis accelerometers and rate sensors all integrated. Combine this with simple microprocessors and all of the open source work from the micro UAV/quadcopterside of the hobby and this was bound to happen.

I am sure the guys winning pattern contests with reeds were as excited to see proportional come out! Technology moves on and in my mind anything that drives up the massive increase in RC pilots we have seen is good.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
edgeflyer

But is there a point where we can no longer fly becuse the fields are so packed. Or worse accidents start happening more frequently because so many people are trying it now.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I agree that the auto pilot and gyro thing is getting some of the newer new flyers with limited skills flying planes they more then likely couldn't because of their limited skills or experience and that is not a bad thing. Helping out new flyers with this kind of stuff is ok but for me the big issue is when something goes wrong they need to be taught how to safely operate around others. I too learned to fly back when we had to even plan on what direction our servos rotated when we hooked up the controls and was glad when servo reversing came out and now all of the other advancements we have that we take for granted. That being said I also agree that any FLYING competition should ban the use of stabilization systems of any kind where the skill of the pilot is being judged. I would be prepared for the personal attacks that will be coming since you have a opinion about the new generation of model plane flyers or now should we call them operators because of the help that these systems provide.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What will dictate how far the Mfg's will go with this? MONEY. If those little planes and heli's sell like hot cakes you will see more options for outboard
accessories. I think the technical advancments or great. I also know that just like a Arturu Fuente Opus X, some things just should not be and can't be improved upon. Like Tony said a few post up, "Never In Competition".
Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM
edgeflyer

Not at all an attack on new pilots, just more worried about it taking the fun out of it for me. After flying as long as I have I want the challenge, not for it to get easier. Just trying to throw up some different kind of topics than the usuals. I myself am a new turbine pilot, and am far from the best, but when I hit that perfect landing, I want to know it was me.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I think these stabilization systems are great! Especially considering without them, even some of the best pilots would have issues flying some of the things that are "easy" to fly comparatively with them. While I agree, never in competition and you need to learn the basic stick skills, they are coming and most likely here to stay
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM
jetster81

Like you edge flyer I am an old timer who learnt the art of flying the hard way and there are times when I think that the guys have it easy these days ,most cannot build and therefore do not know as much about how the plane works both aerodynamically and mechanically as they might which is why you see some quite bizzare threads on forums that make me doubt the posters competence to be in control of an rc aircraft. When I set up my controls on the TX I prefer them to be as simple as possible ie.No rates once I have set the model up how I like it to fly, no dialed in up elevator with flaps etc as I think I get a better feel as to how the model is performing, but that is just me.I see guys at the field who are permanently fiddling with the computer settings and flicking switches when flying a badly setup model in the belief that it will make them better pilots.
As for gyros I personally have no experience of them,but if that is the way it is going then so be it, its good for business and bad for flying skills in my view.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM
edgeflyer

I think there's a place for them like invertmast says, I just don't want to see it standard equiptment on your average fixed wing plane, and the hobby becoming a glorified video game. Half the fun is in the risks we take everytime we exceed stall speed. Without that would it be the same ? I don't think it would for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Robrow

Nothing wrong with it at all, provided safety is not compromised the hobby should be whatever an individual wants from it. Like it or not technology will continue to influence the hobby even with the most diehard manual flyer.

Rob.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 AM
DelGatoGrande

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: edgeflyer

...I reguard turbine pilots as generaly the most professional, and best pilots in the industry .....

LMAO
Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not auto stabilation?

Supposing everything goes well, I will be very happy at 90 years old taking my home printed scale twin turbine F-37 make a autonomous flight sketched on my I-braincap.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
gonzalom
My Feedback: (1)

How can I start?..... I love all the new stabilization systems coming to the market. I been in the hobby for a long time and I fly 1/4 scale turbine helos, large Jets and latelet UAS octo copters. In all of them I use some sort of stabilization system. For example on my 1/4 scale turbine helo I flew for several years without stabilization system and flew quite well.... after putting the stabilization system she flies like a dream and I enjoy every second of flying.

Stabilization systems what it does take all the rough edges of the flying and makes a pleasure to fly. In order for the system to work well you really need to learn a lot how to handle the parameters of the system otherwise can be a disaster. On my UAS without it will be almost impossible to fly especially if I go autonomous on a mission.

If I would be running a competition I will welcome the stabilization systems as I will know how much the pilot worked to integrate the system and to make it work to perfection is a serious skill.

For the new beginners I love the concept as stabilization systems are already set and they get to learn how to fly and enjoy on something that does work….. why we want to make it harder for a beginner? I seen so many people jump out of the hobby because it was too hard at the beginning and whatever they invest was broke in pieces very fast….

Best,

Gonzalo
Northern California
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Seen the new one from EagleTree? $75!

http://vimeo.com/36664710
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: DominicM

Seen the new one from EagleTree? $75!

http://vimeo.com/36664710

Looks cool. Interested in seeing one live.

NOW... a system like this would make a Rookie very fun. If you can turn it on and off remotely... you could hook it to just the vector thrust system, so when you turn it on... it would control the "3D" actions.

But my post above stands... NOT IN COMPETITION.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Accept it, for it is the wave of the future and will not be going away. Companies are in business to make a profit by selling items the consumer wants. The days of learning to fly are behind us and now you can purchase something that almost flies itself. The problem is the maturity level of those purchasing such products and how they use them. Kids will be kids and eventually you will become the outsider. Don't believe me, go to Spedula Basin on the weekends and see what is going on at the flying site located in the park.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

There are cheaper systems out there. For the price of a chicken you could get this one...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Z6x0MbWcE]Advanced stabilization system[/link]
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: gonzalom
In order for the system to work well you really need to learn a lot how to handle the parameters of the system otherwise can be a disaster.

I think this is very true, thats why Isaid it will be awhile before there is any mass market general purpose stability system that comes anywhere close to what you can get with the new parkzone foamies in terms of stabilization

EDIT: WOWthings might be closer than I thought with the eagle tree system, I still think these systems are going to need some sort of airspeed factors on the gain settings when you put them on jets, as far as I know th german gyrobot is the only one that has this (yet!)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Valve floater

Put my vote in for the chicken! Gonna strap one on the front of my 50cc.
Chicken stew anyone?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
fred985

edgeflyer,,,,,i dont understand your concern,,you fly your airplane,,,let others fly their planes. what they fly is not your concern nor does it have any afect on you. you drtive a chevy,,?,,,does it bother you that some-one else drives a ford ? you dont want as stabiliser ? dont have it in your plane. i think you should find a place to fly all by yourself then no one will bother you. you sound more like an old grouch who doesnt want anyone else to have any fun.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: fred985

edgeflyer,,,,,i dont understand your concern,,you fly your airplane,,,let others fly their planes. what they fly is not your concern nor does it have any afect on you. you drtive a chevy,,?,,,does it bother you that some-one else drives a ford ? you dont want as stabiliser ? dont have it in your plane. i think you should find a place to fly all by yourself then no one will bother you. you sound more like an old grouch who doesnt want anyone else to have any fun.
Edgeflyer I told you so and so it has started.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
KC36330

i've never used any sort of stabilization on a fixed wing so can't comment on it there, but i have converted two of my helicopters to FBL and the stabilization system (BeastX in one, Vbar in another) has made night and day difference in how well they fly, no they won't fly themselves (although they do have a system that will) they do take a lot of the workload off the pilot.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Have you looked in the mirror lately? Your post makes YOU sound like a grumpy old grouche
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
edgeflyer

quote:

No, not at all, and yes I did expect a post like this. My concern is that it will be non optional equiptment in the near future, But hey some of the guys I really listen to on the board seem to really like it, so maybe I'll have to try it before passing anymore judgement. That was the whole point of this thread to get input. I'm not too concerned about people who are going to try to pick a fight. Thanks to those with open honest opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.