Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with Hydraulic Steering Needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with Hydraulic Steering Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Help with Hydraulic Steering Needed

ORIGINAL: kirkj

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Kirk,
can i pay you to come to Dallas? LOL
Im embarrased to show a pic of what Ive done!
this seems to work with the least amount of leak or air getting in. not perfect, but only thing that will work more than twice!!
Scott
truth is i would love to, always love to see cool jets, work shops, etc.

but assuming the slave cyl is the same as the 2 masters (i cant see it very well) then just use 1 master, plumbed rod to rod, and blind to blind with the slave. heck assemble it under the surface in a bowl of oil of you have to, to keep air out. make sure that when you make the final connection that one rod is compressed and one rod is extended. this will ''time'' the action.

say the word and im Dallas bound.

Kirk
Sorry, I missed this post. All correct IMO.

Good luck with that....

PaulD
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Darryl Usher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most cylinders in our hobby are for air operation and they use cup seals. There 2 cups on the shaft back to back. There is space between with air and you will not get this all out. If you have o-rings on both cylinders then I think you could make it work with one line. A oil push rod. ATF would be a good oil to use and you can see it.
Darryl
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Scott,

Here is what I have come up with so far. It appears to work properly, no air in the lines etc. I have yet to test it under taxi or takeoff load, but I'll let you know what happens. If any of you engineers out there see something amiss with this please let me know, otherwise I'm going to go with it for now.

David S
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey David!
looks like you ditched the supplied cylinder. I havent tried the submerged cylinder trick yet just cause im dreading the mess, but I think i might go try it.
Theres also the problem once you get all air purged, then you have to go intsall it in the jet. The lines run through a tube down to slave cylinder!
Thanks for all the help guys!!
Scott
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Hey David!
looks like you ditched the supplied cylinder. I havent tried the submerged cylinder trick yet just cause im dreading the mess, but I think i might go try it.
Theres also the problem once you get all air purged, then you have to go intsall it in the jet. The lines run through a tube down to slave cylinder!
Thanks for all the help guys!!
Scott

Scott,

Yes, I spoke to Andreas last year at CA Jets and he told me not to use the supplied double cylinders, but to go with a single cylinder instead. The steering on his A-4 flown then, worked perfectly.

I submerged the top, in fuse, cylinder in oil to fill it. On the nose strut cylinder I attached oil filled tubes which were then submerged into a cup full of oil and manually rotated the nose wheel back and forth until all the air was out. Then I took a syringe and filled the lines from the fuse cylinder down to the nose cylinder with oil. I kept squirting oil thru the lines while I attached the line to the cylinder in order to keep air from being trapped. It took several tries to get it and was definitely a mess, but I couldn't come up with a better way.

This is what Comp Arf originally recommended:

David S
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

wow did i just get lucky, and spotted this picture in the A-4 skymaster thread. this is how it should be hooked up. hard to see but the master and slave are hooked rod to rod and blind to blind.
David S did the bleeding correctly, i did not realize that the lines had to snake down a tube preventing the assembly of the system outside the model. follow Davids bleeding method above.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44760.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1730752