Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Retract Game Changer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Retract Game Changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Ramz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retract Game Changer

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: ravill

The good Ole US of A is still the best country in the world. We don't need to apologize to our commie neighbors to the north, or to any country for that matter.

Well Rav, our boys have died right alongside yours in just about every major conflict in the world including Afganistan in support of democracy and freedom. I resent being called a commie. You need to open your eyes man, no 2 countries in the world are closer than USA and Canada.

Ok, enough politics but, that kind of ignorance strikes a nerve.

Mike
Agreed. Nothing wrong with being supportive and proud of where you are from but that "commie" comment is very disrespectful and demonstrates extreme ignorance.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

I served 14 yrs in the CDN Navy, sailed with Nato and USN throughout. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers, and your "commie" remark just rubbed me the wrong way. Sounds like you have some issues to deal with, and they might get resolved once you educate yourself with CDN history.

.. now back to the program already in progress...

Dan
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM
LittleBob
Banned

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

I am a little confused.... where are you guys coming up with 1000.00 retracts from us?
Our retracts are not cheap bent steel or aluminum frames, they are 7075 T-6 machined plates and trunions. Oversized leak free cylinders and reversible. We carry a full inventory of replacement parts and they are 100% USA made. Our most expensive air operated retracts are the Hercules at 275.00 for a three gear set, our standard size Taurus set runs 235.00 and our small Sidewinder set at 199.00.

You cant possibly compare the HK struts to Pro-Link?
Our full combo packages which range from $500 to $1000 include the very best components available from numerous manufacturers. Every single part is custom made to exacting standards and assembled by hand. Personally, I think the Pro-Link line is quite economical considering the quality of the product and support. Of course, to each his own....
You can indeed compare any retract with any other retract. That is exactly what people are doing in this thread and the market
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow...interesting thread...

Most you guys got it all wrong. The bottom line is....Customer support and replacement. I use Spring Air (a good company), Robart (another good company) and Lado-Magnum retracts (another company with mixed results...but mostly good). I have found out in my 55+ years in this hobby, that what counts most with me, is good customer support. I like to be able to call someone that speaks English, to work out any issues I have with a hobby product. Hobby Kings customer support is non-existant...ditto for Nitro Planes. I've been burned by both...and when I went and bought goods from a reputable dealer...hardly ever a problem. I fly glow mostly and ulta small electrics. I build both kits and ARF's and will no longer deal with Chinese junk or manufatured products. I've had enough of their "lack of quality control" and it seems like its a hit or miss crap shoot when you buy from them.

Not all Chinese products are junk...just most of the things I've bought from them. Just buying American is not possible in today's world. The way things are made, assembled and sold today...one is hard pressed to say anything is only made in the good Ol' U.S.A. If the product is proven to be good...I'll buy it, if I need it. I have found that Taiwan makes good stuff in the Hobby...so does Canada, Germany, France and England. China is flooding the market with their cheap hobby...and true...most of it is junk in my opinion...but not all of it. My only problem with China is finding a dealer that I can trust...and backs its products with out costing you more in shipping-then the darn !#$%& product costs in the first place. Required return shipping to China nixes any future buys from that part of the world...and experience has shown me...stick to dealers that have proven Customer Service.

Now a bit off the subject...we need to replace all the blood suckers in D.C....not just the current crop of rectal cavities in office. The current disaster in office can kiss my tail feathers...Gas hit $4.76 a gal. today in Kahalui, Maui, ditto my electric and water/sewer bill.

I'm on a fixed income and a fixed hobby income too. I'm now dusting off all my old saved kits...and after I build my last onhand ARF's...its going to be all kits for me.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
LittleBob
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Most you guys got it all wrong. The bottom line is....Customer support and replacement. I use Spring Air (a good company), Robart (another good company) and Lado-Magnum retracts (another company with mixed results...but mostly good). I have found out in my 55+ years in this hobby, that what counts most with me, is good customer support. I like to be able to call someone that speaks English, to work out any issues I have with a hobby product. Hobby Kings customer support is non-existant...ditto for Nitro Planes. I've been burned by both...and when I went and bought goods from a reputable dealer...hardly ever a problem. I fly glow mostly and ulta small electrics. I build both kits and ARF's and will no longer deal with Chinese junk or manufatured products. I've had enough of their "lack of quality control" and it seems like its a hit or miss crap shoot when you buy from them.

Not all Chinese products are junk...just most of the things I've bought from them. Just buying American is not possible in today's world. The way things are made, assembled and sold today...one is hard pressed to say anything is only made in the good Ol' U.S.A. If the product is proven to be good...I'll buy it, if I need it. I have found that Taiwan makes good stuff in the Hobby...so does Canada, Germany, France and England. China is flooding the market with their cheap hobby...and true...most of it is junk in my opinion...but not all of it. My only problem with China is finding a dealer that I can trust...and backs its products with out costing you more in shipping-then the darn !#$%& product costs in the first place. Required return shipping to China nixes any future buys from that part of the world...and experience has shown me...stick to dealers that have proven Customer Service.

Now a bit off the subject...we need to replace all the blood suckers in D.C....not just the current crop of rectal cavities in office. Gas hit $4.76 a gal. today in Kahalui, Maui, ditto my electric bill and water/sewer. I'm on a fixed income and a fixed hobby income too. I'm now dusting off all my old saved kits...and after I build my last onhand ARF's...its going to be all kits for me.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Hexck Gas (Petrol) at $4.76. Come over to the UK it is over $10 a gallon here.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: LittleBob
Hexck Gas (Petrol) at $4.76. Come over to the UK it is over $10 a gallon here.
Our petrol is around $7.60 per US gallon Bob, got to remember their gallons are smaller than ours.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good Ole US of A is still the best country in the world. We don't need to apologize to our commie neighbors to the north, or to any country for that matter.

Well Rav, our boys have died right alongside yours in just about every major conflict in the world including Afganistan in support of democracy and freedom. I resent being called a commie. You need to open your eyes man, no 2 countries in the world are closer than USA and Canada.

Mike
mike , your right on. canada has "as far as i know" been there with us. but i'm not sure about Vietnam. i don't think so only because i have never heard anything to support it.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 AM
warbird_1

Most you guys got it all wrong. The bottom line is....Customer support and replacement. I use Spring Air (a good company), Robart (another good company) and Lado-Magnum retracts (another company with mixed results...but mostly good). I have found out in my 55+ years in this hobby, that what counts most with me, is good customer support. I like to be able to call someone that speaks English, to work out any issues I have with a hobby product. Hobby Kings customer support is non-existant...ditto for Nitro Planes. I've been burned by both...and when I went and bought goods from a reputable dealer...hardly ever a problem. I fly glow mostly and ulta small electrics. I build both kits and ARF's and will no longer deal with Chinese junk or manufatured products. I've had enough of their ''lack of quality control'' and it seems like its a hit or miss crap shoot when you buy from them.

Now a bit off the subject...we need to replace all the blood suckers in D.C....not just the current crop of rectal cavities in office. The current disaster in office can kiss my tail feathers...Gas hit $4.76 a gal. today in Kahalui, Maui, ditto my electric and water/sewer bill.

I'm on a fixed income and a fixed hobby income too. I'm now dusting off all my old saved kits...and after I build my last onhand ARF's...its going to be all kits for me.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
bob , your right. ANOTHER big problem with Asian stuff is , they do a run of something for awhile and that's it, they move onto something else. so you can have all the parts in the world ,but when they're gone ,they're gone. what do you do 2 years down the road when something wears out. YOU GO BUY MORE JUNK . so let's say you buy a set of gear for 200.00 and you ,down the road , break something . instead of buying 50.00 worth of parts ,you now have to buy another 200.00 set of gear because they don't make yours anymore. i have never had any problems with robarts stuff . and to be honest ,they don't cost anymore than the Asian stuff that i've seen. i think in most cases they might even be less. i think robart gets over looked a lot. just my opinion.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I am a little confused.... where are you guys coming up with 1000.00 retracts from us?
Our retracts are not cheap bent steel or aluminum frames, they are 7075 T-6 machined plates and trunions. Oversized leak free cylinders and reversible. We carry a full inventory of replacement parts and they are 100% USA made. Our most expensive air operated retracts are the Hercules at 275.00 for a three gear set, our standard size Taurus set runs 235.00 and our small Sidewinder set at 199.00.

Our full combo packages which range from $500 to $1000 include the very best components available from numerous manufacturers. Every single part is custom made to exacting standards and assembled by hand. Personally, I think the Pro-Link line is quite economical considering the quality of the product and support. Of course, to each his own....
You can indeed compare any retract with any other retract. That is exactly what people are doing in this thread and the market

Apparently a Comprehension issue....
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

Mike
mike , your right on. canada has ''as far as i know'' been there with us. but i'm not sure about Vietnam. i don't think so only because i have never heard anything to support it.
Hi Warbird, you are correct, Canada did not participate alongside America in Nam. We did however have troops there under the UN flag to support the Geneva convention. Conducted espionage to support the American war effort and supplied America with many of the raw materials necessary to feed the American war machine. In true Canadian spirit, we supplied humanitarian aid to the people of South Vietnam.

Let us also not forget the "smaller" things such as in 1979 when Iran terrorists took 53 Americans hostage, Canadian diplomats (Civilians!) risked their lives to save the lives of 6 American diplomats from the terrorists, hid them in the Canadian Embassy, issued them Canadian passports and flew them safely to Switzerland. To call us communists is very insulting.

Mike

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

Mike
mike , your right on. canada has ''as far as i know'' been there with us. but i'm not sure about Vietnam. i don't think so only because i have never heard anything to support it.
Hi Warbird, you are correct, Canada did not participate alongside America in Nam. We did however have troops there under the UN flag to support the Geneva convention. Conducted espionage to support the American war effort and supplied America with many of the raw materials necessary to feed the American war machine. In true Canadian spirit, we supplied humanitarian aid to the people of South Vietnam.

Let us also not forget the ''smaller'' things such as in 1979 when Iran terrorists took 53 Americans hostage, Canadian diplomats (Civilians!) risked their lives to save the lives of 6 American diplomats from the terrorists, hid them in the Canadian Embassy, issued them Canadian passports and flew them safely to Switzerland. To call us communists is very insulting.

Mike

mike , did you ever have any doubts about the vast superior knowledge of me ?
lol !!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Most you guys got it all wrong. The bottom line is....Customer support and replacement. I use Spring Air (a good company), Robart (another good company) and Lado-Magnum retracts (another company with mixed results...but mostly good). I have found out in my 55+ years in this hobby, that what counts most with me, is good customer support. I like to be able to call someone that speaks English, to work out any issues I have with a hobby product. Hobby Kings customer support is non-existant...ditto for Nitro Planes. I've been burned by both...and when I went and bought goods from a reputable dealer...hardly ever a problem. I fly glow mostly and ulta small electrics. I build both kits and ARF's and will no longer deal with Chinese junk or manufatured products. I've had enough of their ''lack of quality control'' and it seems like its a hit or miss crap shoot when you buy from them.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Can you do me a favor? Give Robart a call and when you get someone on the phone let me know. I've called and emailed for months as I was told by a rep that they had some skymaster F-15 nose struts in stock that would fit in my JetLegend F-15 and I could purchase one. Never got a callback or an email. I too believe that CS is one of the most important attributes a company can have. I have not seen that with Robart. Their products are very good but if you need something that they don't normally sell through their distributors you'd probably be better off getting it made at a local machine shop than waiting on a response from them. JMO.

Marty
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Can you do me a favor? Give Robart a call and when you get someone on the phone let me know. I've called and emailed for months as I was told by a rep that they had some skymaster F-15 nose struts in stock that would fit in my JetLegend F-15 and I could purchase one. Never got a callback or an email. I too believe that CS is one of the most important attributes a company can have. I have not seen that with Robart. Their products are very good but if you need something that they don't normally sell through their distributors you'd probably be better off getting it made at a local machine shop than waiting on a response from them. JMO.

Marty
WOW , i myself have never had that happen and the no return call is unacceptable . i would press that issue only to keep other people from going through the same thing. But realistically i never expect return calls from anyone. sad but true
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I have brought it up a few times in different "retract" or threads where it was applicable. Others have chimed in with similar stories. Of the few vendors I have dealt with in the "jet" aspect of the hobby, I would have to say that Dreamworks and Mike at Global Jet Club stand out in terms of customer service.

Marty
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
warbird_1

After , i agree with you on DW however anyone that sells overseas stuff is at the mercy of the manufacture . if they stop producing stuff then no body gets anything. i have seen it time after time. sad to say that it ultimately
it's the vendor that has to take the heat of a mad modeler that can't get parts anymore. i try to only buy stuff from companies that seem to have a future. and that's getting harder and harder all the time.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Those would be the KobbyKing, re branded, and sold in the US by some big name distributor:-)

Gerry

look for your self, I was researching retracts for my Habu 32 and bought the HobbyKing units, they look good

US Distributor
http://shulmanaviation.com/product_i...oducts_id=1788

HobbyKing

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_System_.html
Cool. $175 from Shulman, $52 from HK.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You took them down - they were their on your landing pagewhen I wrote my post.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those would be the KobbyKing, re branded, and sold in the US by some big name distributor:-)

Gerry

look for your self, I was researching retracts for my Habu 32 and bought the HobbyKing units, they look good

US Distributor
http://shulmanaviation.com/product_i...oducts_id=1788

HobbyKing

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_System_.html

Wow, who knows, I made the comment joking. I might be right in my re-branding theory:-)

Gerry
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

You took them down - they were their on your landing page when I wrote my post.
Haven't taken anything down from our website nor have we EVER listed retracts for 1000.00??? Full combo deluxe packages get close depending on gear set but that is not what we are talking about here...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
tms261

Bob you hit a bunch of nails on the head. RC products are no different than many others. There are many market levels. Some manufacturers innovate, take pride in their products, and truly back them up. That takes time and money. Sometimes these manufactures send their production to countries with cheaper production costs, but use same designs, processes and materials to maintain quality and reputation. Some are willing to pay for that level of service and quality and some are not. Manufacturers and retailers may offer several lines of similar products to hit more market levels. Some products work well for a week, some for a lifetime.

This thread is about retracts. I've got lousy ones and good ones. The good ones always cost more. The electronic retracts and trailing struts I got from, ok, Todd at DW, are the finest quality I have seen. DW has a great reputation, that means something to me. I'm not connected to DW in any way, but appreciate the VERY timely service I have gotten, and so far, I have not seen electric retracts supporting the weight I need anywhere else. There are other good retracts and distributors. Its up to the consumer.

The retracts that this thread is supposed to be about may be just great. It would be nice to hear from some folks who have longtime experience with other brands that have also tried these.

The political and national things don't belong in this thread. But since it was mentioned........
Countries and cultures are diverse. Different countries seem to have a knack for creating great products of various types, and have many things to offer.
Many countries have been enemies in history but are now allies. I'm nobody but I'm glad to have Canada, the UK, Japan, and any others that generally respect their citizens as allies.

In the US, we need to wise up and vote all the bums out. Doesnt matter which side of the isle. Just vote from a standpoint of knowledge and understanding. Get out of your own box, do some research and see reality. Many countries need to do the same thing. Just as with RC stuff, realize there is no free lunch.

Can we keep it on RC now?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Airbear

That,s the nice part of America is choices. If you want to try the retracts by all means buy a set. But I,d think twice about getting them from HK
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
LittleBob
Banned

Apparently a Comprehension issue....
Yes indeed what did you mean
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'll tell ya how it is with me. I might shop around and compare and all that, BUT. when the spending starts I don't scrimp on stuff like retracts. I have a few jets I'm working on now and when I get ready for the retracts it ain't nothing but Todds Taurus retracts and struts going on it. Yea-if I went to a swap meet and bought a $100.00 POC I might be tempted to put a set of those HK on it mabey. Now about airline. here is where you NEVER want to scrimp. After you roll off all the line you need for a plane from the good stuff Ver. the cheap stuff it's a bucks worth of Diff but it's a whole lot more head banging gonna happen with the cheap stuff trying to get the leaks out of the hard cheap stuff than if you had gone on a bought that good ribbon line from Dreamworks. Now About some of these others posters that has came in here and commented on our Canadian freinds, that won't wash with the vast majority of us Americans down here on this thread. Some of them has stated they don't fly jets and I have never seen them in here before untill now. You guys up across the border can come on in here and post anytime you like and if someone gets off to the side with comments like we read last night, "hit block" on those dudes.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
BobbyMcGee

Can you confirm if they accept 1/2" struts
Yes, these Hobby King blueretracts accept 1/2" struts
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
BobbyMcGee

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

Well I'm not American but here comes an American demanding everyone else be American too. I have many US friends but a statement like "buy american BE american" is why you guys are getting such a terrible rep around the world. I totally agree that some chinese groups are devaluing products, but I can't believe people come on here and make statements like that when 80 percent of your daily duties/lives/homes/cars/facilites are built with the "Made In China" stamp.

Too little too late buddy.
I'm an AMERICAN !!!
Most of the parts in my Ford automobile were made in Mexico or Canada; my TV is from China; my cell phone is from Taiwan; my computersare from China; my stereo and speakers are from Japan; my R/C equipment is from Japan; my American designer clothing was made in Asian countries from fabrics manufactured in India; my Glock 19 was made in Austria; my Great Planes kits are from China; the fish I buy in the grocery storecame from China; the drywall, nails, screws, tile and carpet in my home were made in China; Iran and the Middle East control our gas prices; the beer I drink was made in Germany or Mexico, the vodka I drink was made in Russia, my ex-wife is from China; and my girlfriend is from the Philippines. Nothing I own or do is from the USA.

I'm an AMERICAN ... I think so? Or am I?

What the hell happened!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.