Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Retract Game Changer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Retract Game Changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Retract Game Changer

Unbelievable prices on a large retract kit:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._X_Large_.html
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Ramz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retract Game Changer

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

...if it works. You always roll the dice when you buy stuff from HK. Sometimes you strike gold and sometimes you get a piece of junk. With that being said, the high end 1000$ retract sets that we all know and love are way way way overpriced for what you get.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM
STKNRUD

You go first and report back.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
ausfester

A set of those came with a esm warbird. Struts look exactly the same. My model comes in around 5kg and after a few landimgs one strut looks bent.
A lite model up to .90-1.20 size they're fine..... a 8kg jet no way. The struts don't provide much suspension they're pretty stiff.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If the seals are top class, the spool valve cylinders & rods are well finished, the tubing & connectors good quality they may be a good buy.

But, if it's the usual, second class, chinese product that looks great until you have to fiddle, modify, damage your model & finally hack it up to fit a set of Robarts or Springairs or other quality set of gear is it all worth it?

With that being said, the high end 1000$ retract sets that we all know and love are way way way overpriced for what you get.
Don't forget we are talking basic 90/120 retracts here, not some F-18/F-16 fancy stuff. - John.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

My 2 cents....

I've seen a lot of "High End" retract systems not function, or have leaky seals... so if you can get an inexpensive set... and you only need to replace O-rings, or just lube them... then it's worth it. As far as the quality of the hose... who cares. Good air line from Todd is less than a $1 ft.

For Less than $100... it's worth a try. AND... I may become the Guinea pig for my scratch build project. I have a set of used Lighting wings coming, and I will measure them when there get here. If the retract will fit... I'll order a set, and let you guys know how they are.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony,

What would be really funny is if you copied the Chinese stuff and made your own.

PaulD
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Add this and make it hydraulic:

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14054]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14054[/link]

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
LittleBob
Banned

Looks like a good set of retracts
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14054]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14054[/link]

Bob
ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Bob
wow, these prices have to scare some of the dealers out there selling that type of kit in the $800-$1000 range. Those look like real festos to lol. I won't be the first to buy one of these gear kits but it sure is interesting how they are able to do that at $80-$130 bucks.

Mark my words. They are going to start selling the electronic ones for large jets including the electroinic Lado type door cylinders. That will change things too.

Andy
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You guys remember when Tru-turn couldn't make a spinner for less than $150?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Andy you must have seen the post I made in the Formost 150 thread this past Saturday...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...page_41/tm.htm

I Have actually seen these retracts (not the struts), I bought a set for a friend of mine when I was at Toledo last year.

They look just as good as the expensive units, I paid $75 for the set of three at the show, he was going to install them into a Baby Boomerang, they looked plenty good enough for that type of application!

For the price of the set if the struts are too week, you can toss them out and still be way ahead of the game!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
SinCityJets

Buy cheap, buy twice (or three times)

I don't know why some people have such a hard time learning this lesson in this hobby. Constantly in search of bargain basement prices for critical pieces of equipment. Even people that have personally been bitten by this issue don't seem to learn.

granted, maybe gear is not a "critical" item, but I know Todd's gear does what it is supposed to do, even when I don't on a landing.

I don't mind paying higher prices for equipment that has been shown to last. Look around at jet rally's. What are people flying, what are people having problems with. Answers alot of questions for me.

Chad
Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great for a static model

marcs
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Probably made from cheesium - as tough as......well, cheese!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably not a lot different than the stock gear that comes with most Chinese ARFs. Gives you a good idea of the margins on them.

Mike
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM
LittleBob
Banned

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Buy cheap, buy twice (or three times)

I don't know why some people have such a hard time learning this lesson in this hobby. Constantly in search of bargain basement prices for critical pieces of equipment. Even people that have personally been bitten by this issue don't seem to learn.

granted, maybe gear is not a "critical" item, but I know Todd's gear does what it is supposed to do, even when I don't on a landing.

I don't mind paying higher prices for equipment that has been shown to last. Look around at jet rally's. What are people flying, what are people having problems with. Answers alot of questions for me.

Chad
Probably because many people have bought this type of stuff and had great results.

It is very simple in my view:

There are those people that feel that a high price means better quality and a cheap price means that it is Junk and of course

There are those that think that a high price simply means a high mark up and that they would rather buy at the cheaper end.

Neither view is right or wrong. There will however always be those who think that their view is right and all the rest are wrong

Isnt it good that we have choice and can express our views. Some people in the world are not so fortunate
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Based off the 2 whole reviews, they must be good! 5 Crowns!! WOW!!
One of the reviewers gave the "value" 4 crowns LMAO!!
Scott
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Probably not a lot different than the stock gear that comes with most Chinese ARFs. Gives you a good idea of the margins on them.

Mike
Exactly,
For the right application these units are good enough for the job....

Before the flames are thrown notice I said for the right application, like the Nitro Planes stuff that some guys like to convert....
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
SniperWj

just got this from Todd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3M5jFCjNo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

reliable retract is very important! I always bet on the win side if i have the choice.
so that I can happily enjoy the hobby.

yiming
Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got these HK units in the mail today.

Compared to my Behotec C50 (Eurosport)and Pro-links (Elan), these HK retracts are cheap looking. They feel cheap as well.

The struts are probably fine for lighter models, I would say up to 6-7 kg, depending on surface flown off, and touch down speed....

I will probably fit them in my 5kg P-40 foam warbird.

BUT, I could very much be wrong, the might stand up to bigger tasks.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: kimhey

I just got these HK units in the mail today.

Compared to my Behotec C50 (Eurosport)and Pro-links (Elan), these HK retracts are cheap looking. They feel cheap as well.

The struts are probably fine for lighter models, I would say up to 6-7 kg, depending on surface flown off, and touch down speed....

I will probably fit them in my 5kg P-40 foam warbird.

BUT, I could very much be wrong, the might stand up to bigger tasks.
Figures, they always look better in the pictures. The valves look th same as some I've seen shipped with Asian ARFS.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You guys see these 80cc retracs?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...28_Trojan.html
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me personally, air systems are archaic today. I have, and am converting all I can, to electric. HK offers good products to start with. The problem is, some modelers cannot see the weak links in a good product that can be made better for very little effort and cost.

The cost difference, well your buying direct from China and bypassing all the other re-sellers. The labor, rent, fees, regulations, taxes, and anything else, is pennies next to any other place currently.

Yet they are an Economic Super Power. The US is running on Chinese borrowed money. So who knows and runs capitalism better today? Which country has moved more towards a free market and which has moved more towards price/wage control?

Hint: The one loaning money is not the one failing.

Shame.

Anyway, back to playing.

Steve
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
LittleBob
Banned

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

For me personally, air systems are archaic today. I have, and am converting all I can, to electric. HK offers good products to start with. The problem is, some modelers cannot see the weak links in a good product that can be made better for very little effort and cost.

The cost difference, well your buying direct from China and bypassing all the other re-sellers. The labor, rent, fees, regulations, taxes, and anything else, is pennies next to any other place currently.

Yet they are an Economic Super Power. The US is running on Chinese borrowed money. So who knows and runs capitalism better today? Which country has moved more towards a free market and which has moved more towards price/wage control?

Hint: The one loaning money is not the one failing.

Shame.

Anyway, back to playing.

Steve
+ 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.