Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing - Good or Bad

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
HobbyKing are good for the Hobby
71.55%
HobbyKing are bad for the Hobby
28.45%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

HobbyKing - Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing - Good or Bad

You also need to consider the process when something does not work upon delivery. A friend ordered a 4 cell lipo that had only 3 cells wired. HK wanted the pack sent back to the offshore factory warehouse. Not sure if most are aware but shipment of LIPO by international air is not legal as the lipo is considered a hazardous material. Now what do you do?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is exactly why i support my hobby shop they will make it good immediately!!!!!!!!! Come On Guys Support The Shops or one day all we will have is online ordering and when that happens the price will be whatever they want to charge you !!!! so support them now and get what you pay for or dont support them and hope what you get arrives and is one piece and is what you orderedand works,, your choice!!!! for me it is a no brainer!!!! LOCAL HOBBY SHOP EVERY TIME
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I've only gotten a few items (a dozen or so) from HK as second hand items. I haven't had any issues with them and they have worked as expected.

BUT... Here are my thoughts.

I Rarely build any of the "arf's" on the market as I personally find most of their quality to be severely lacking in many areas and if i'm going to spend my time designing an arf, i'd rather just start from a kit or plans.. Soo... Do i REALLY want to save $xxx amount of money on cheaper items from HK on something i've spent months building, or is the extra money on brand name PROVEN products worth the extra piece of mind?

personally, the extra money spent on the name brand stuff is worth the extra expense to me. Now i'm not suggesting or saying that everything I have gotten from those brands has been completely faultless, but in 22 years of being in this hobby, i can count on 1 hand the number of "D.O.A" products I have received from the name brand companies. And 99% of those DOA items were from the SAME company (Hitec).

BUT the nicest thing about it. Even though they were DOA, it was either a trip to the LHS to swap it for a working on from their inventory, or a quick phone call to a US based company explaining the situation and a replacement was sent out and typically arrived in less than a week.

The stories I have seen and heard of from the local guys i fly with that have had issues with HK are just horrid having to wait MONTHS on an item that became back ordered even though it was in stock when purchased, or having to return a $8+ battery back to HK (and pay the shipping back) just to get a replacement b/c they couldn't take their word for it..

It really comes down to one phrase "what are you comfortable with?"
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

Rob2160, you've been caught not using the "proper equipment"!! LOL!!! Now all I need to do is wait till spring, do some range checks on video, post a couple of vids showing that HK equipment is just as good as "proper equipment". Nah, I'm just going to fly high, fast, and enjoy the hobby. That will be the best thing I can do. And whenever I hear a noob asking where to purchase equipment, you know what I will say. Hobby King!!!
Don't get me wrong..I love my Hobbyking stuff, but my GAUI X5 helicopter is unquestionably superior in many ways.. but $800 vs $100 of course it would be..

Would I fly a Hobbyking Helicopter with a Turnigy 9X radio, absolutely!

Would I use that radio on a Gaui X5? Probably not..

I like my Futaba 8FG radio, but the Hobbyking Orange Receivers are every bit as good as a genuine one (at least in my experience)

Flyingand building a bunch of inexpensive hobbyking helicopters gave me the confidence to risk spending $800 on a Gaui..

No Hobbyking.. No Gaui X5 for Robbie..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
AsiaSRC

bad experience! asked for refund got worst...loss money due to exchange...deleted from my list.
talking to that online 'machine' CS..many miles behind compare to Todd and Ali, those jet guys knew what u want!!
anyway, i look further inland and got almost all stuffs that my customer asked me to buy from there..bye bye HK.
it is just me!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

lOOK'S LIKE THE POOL FAVOR'S HK

so that's it end of story sadly HK is hear to say because price and demand surpasses customer service and quality. Sadly this same personable is a big factor of what's killing the unit state's no one wants to pay for anything any more it's all super cheap of the cheap manufacturing there's no way for state side to compete... I don't see a end to the story .. vary sading and frustrating there's not really goign to be quailty hobby shop that's going to compeat with the prices and volume of hobby king.

it would be nice for the job market to scale with the consumer market that way it wasn't bottom of the barrel pay shopping for bottom of the barrel price's, but it would seem the system is set up this way so the question is how do you fix it ?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
LittleBob
Banned

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

that is exactly why i support my hobby shop they will make it good immediately!!!!!!!!! Come On Guys Support The Shops or one day all we will have is online ordering and when that happens the price will be whatever they want to charge you !!!! so support them now and get what you pay for or dont support them and hope what you get arrives and is one piece and is what you orderedand works,, your choice!!!! for me it is a no brainer!!!! LOCAL HOBBY SHOP EVERY TIME

I think we got your point.

Was it to Support your local Hobby Shop ?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: btflycrazy

prices are great, products are on the low side, and the customer service doesn't exist,...
Go on "chat" assistance, there are people that will help you in real time! I've head great service from them.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Good... hopefully keep prices down and competition honest.

Z
Seriously? You'd have a little different view of joints like HK if you were on my side of the fence. They have run many honest businessmen OUT of business with their pricing.
Sure it's a great price for the end consumer, but what is that consumer going to do when he needs a gallon of fuel to go flying today and his LHS is bankrupt because of HK?

I think competition is great, but HK isn't competition. They are a problem in to the industry, bringing questionable quality at near negative profit pricing isn't good. Not in any industry.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Catalinaflyer

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies
Seriously? You'd have a little different view of joints like HK if you were on my side of the fence. They have run many honest businessmen OUT of business with their pricing.
Sure it's a great price for the end consumer, but what is that consumer going to do when he needs a gallon of fuel to go flying today and his LHS is bankrupt because of HK?

I think competition is great, but HK isn't competition. They are a problem in to the industry, bringing questionable quality at near negative profit pricing isn't good. Not in any industry.
You can't possibly be serious, your talking about running the LHS out of business and right in your signature line you advertise "Your Friendly eBay Hobby Shop"? What does your ebay hobby shop do for my local hobby shop and exactly how is it different than ordering from Hong Kong or China or California?? Are you driving to Kansas and purchasing the stuff at my LHS then selling it back to me on eBay in order to keep my LHS open???

I support my LHS or almost LHS as the one closest to me doesn't sell a lot of aircraft stuff and even less scratch building supplies so I use one about 30 miles away that caters to giant scale and scratch building. However I also order stuff online from Hobby King, Tower Hobbies, Horizon, Hobby Partz and others depending on what I'm needing (or wanting).
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 AM
BobbyMcGee

My local hobby shops do not do well in the aspect of customer service. If they don't have it, they don't offer to order it. Nor will they decide to stock it. They mostly cater to the park flyer planes ... those cheap foamies are the only new items they decided to stock within the past 10 years! They have little or nothing for the advanced flyes.With the exception of fuel, most, if not all, my purchases are online through a host of different places.

Besides that, Tower and Hobby King have better selections (more to chose from). Local hobby shops can't (or never could) compete. So, like everything else, the local shops are doomed. This goes for other types of stores as well. The small stores can't compete with online warehouses in the areas of price and selection.

Department stores like Target and Walmart put many independent stores out of business. It's just the sign of the times.

Most everything the world does is online. So, get over it. It's the future of worldwide buying practices by the typical consumer.

It's more the love of the hobby (and habit)that a store owner has, than it is the profit that is made.
No independent store owner will ever (or ever has) been able to support a wealthy lifestyle with their store.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HK certainly warrants controversy for many reasons. I have purchased a couple orders from them with absolutely no issues and producs were mostly what I expected from a discount supplier - sort of puts me in mind of Harbor Freight for the RC industry. Ordering from HK can be a slow process and you do take a chance, so anyone that does order from them should assume the risk knowing the variables. When I order I spend what I am willing to risk without a fight period. I won't spend a lot for that reason alone (I am very frugal as I have a cost point of what I am willing to throw away in lost funds.

Take a simple scenario: You spend 100 with HK and save 50 from what you would pay to other suppliers. You decide to make more orders and go for the bigger bucks. Your new order is 500 smackers, yet they screw it up and you wind up losing a 100. If you invest hours of labor and time trying to contact them and getting a store refund you have well spent your "saved" dollars. Not many look at it this way, but this is realistic.

As far as the local hobby shops all I can think of are the chains as that is mostly what we have in this area. We have a couple HobbyTowns and a few other shops. The thing is how much of what they sell is from US manufacturers? I try to support them, but it is mostly a wasted trip as they don't carry the type of items that I need. I cannot remember one thing that I purchased that was not made in a foreign country. I don't get it when folks think that other countries are not the winners when we buy RC stuff even with local hobby shops. Does anyone actually think that the products we purchase are somehow made down the street in a plant here in the US?

Can we in the US be competitive with foreign suppliers? Think about it for a moment or two. Not many want to, nor can, work cheap enough to put a product out that is competitive with the discount products thus it comes from foreign lands. The math is simple.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

HK certainly warrants controversy for many reasons. I have purchased a couple orders from them with absolutely no issues and producs were mostly what I expected from a discount supplier - sort of puts me in mind of Harbor Freight for the RC industry. Ordering from HK can be a slow process and you do take a chance, so anyone that does order from them should assume the risk knowing the variables. When I order I spend what I am willing to risk without a fight period. I won't spend a lot for that reason alone (I am very frugal as I have a cost point of what I am willing to throw away in lost funds.

Take a simple scenario: You spend 100 with HK and save 50 from what you would pay to other suppliers. You decide to make more orders and go for the bigger bucks. Your new order is 500 smackers, yet they screw it up and you wind up losing a 100. If you invest hours of labor and time trying to contact them and getting a store refund you have well spent your ''saved'' dollars. Not many look at it this way, but this is realistic.

As far as the local hobby shops all I can think of are the chains as that is mostly what we have in this area. We have a couple HobbyTowns and a few other shops. The thing is how much of what they sell is from US manufacturers? I try to support them, but it is mostly a wasted trip as they don't carry the type of items that I need. I cannot remember one thing that I purchased that was not made in a foreign country. I don't get it when folks think that other countries are not the winners when we buy RC stuff even with local hobby shops. Does anyone actually think that the products we purchase are somehow made down the street in a plant here in the US?

Can we in the US be competitive with foreign suppliers? Think about it for a moment or two. Not many want to, nor can, work cheap enough to put a product out that is competitive with the discount products thus it comes from foreign lands. The math is simple.

Tower Hobbies and Horizon have put lots of local hobby shops out of business before HK appeared on the market. The average labor in industrialized cities in China is $1 per hour. Think you can compete? Not easy. i heard that Hobby Lobby is making their Telemaster kits back in the US. Of course the prices went up. Did anybody notice how the prices of our models have been going up steadily? Or is it just me?

Gerry
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 AM
fk27bob

Companies like HK got me back into the hobby after a long (10-year) hiatus. Glow fueled airplanes with parts from the LHS and Tower Hobbies were eating up too much of my hobby budget then.

A friend called and said, "You have to try these electrics. They've come a long way recently". So, I did some research and found that I could find batteries at HK or NitroPlanes for much less than the local hobby shop. I bought a Blade 400 from my LHS, batteries from HK, and parts from my LHS and an eBay dealer (U.S. based). I bought a SuperFly and the power system from HeadsUpRC (U.S. based mail order and walk in hobby shop). I bought a HK 450 helicopter and outfitted it with a Scorpion motor (purchased from AMain Hobbies). I bought an Extreme Flight RC MXS, equipped with a Hacker motor, GensAce batteries, and a used Spektrum (authentic, not clone) receiver purchased on RCGroups.

I think you can see a trend here. I like to buy from the LHS when they have competitive prices, but won't pay $50 for a battery I can find online for 1/5 of that. I like to use online companies that are based in the United States. Yes, they sell products made in Asia. Who doesn't? However, I find the convenience of fast shipping and unparalleled customer service worth the few extra dollars I might pay over HK.

Competitive pricing from places like HK allowed a former modeler to become a current modeler. Isn't that good for all the companies I've done business with in the last couple years? It is never as simple as "Companies like HK (or Wal-Mart) are bad (or good)".

Bottom line: Companies like HK (and especially my favorite U.S. based retailers) have re-peaked my interest in this hobby because of the affordable prices and ease of ordering. Because I spend less money on the things I buy at HK I have more of my precious hobby dollars to spend at my LHS, my favorite U.S. based retailers, and even overseas.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: catflyer

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

You can't possibly be serious, your talking about running the LHS out of business and right in your signature line you advertise "Your Friendly eBay Hobby Shop"? What does your ebay hobby shop do for my local hobby shop and exactly how is it different than ordering from Hong Kong or China or California?? Are you driving to Kansas and purchasing the stuff at my LHS then selling it back to me on eBay in order to keep my LHS open???

I support my LHS or almost LHS as the one closest to me doesn't sell a lot of aircraft stuff and even less scratch building supplies so I use one about 30 miles away that caters to giant scale and scratch building. However I also order stuff online from Hobby King, Tower Hobbies, Horizon, Hobby Partz and others depending on what I'm needing (or wanting).
Because I use an account here that I associate with my eBay business, does that somehow preclude me from owning a LHS as well?
You have no concept of what the HK types are doing to the hobby industry along with the Horizon / Great Planes master plan.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM
dgholmes59

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

I somewhat agree with you in theory, in fact,.I try to buy as much stuff as possible from my LHS. However, I cannot be exclusive to the LHS. There are items I need that the LHS will not carry or cannot carry, so I have to find them elsewhere such as Hobbypartz or Hobby King. A reason I used Hobbypartz is because I could buy better quality lipo batteries for 1/5 the price of inferior lipos at the LHS. Wanted a 4 port charger and could not get one at the LHS, thanks to Hobbypartz, I now have one at a very decent price. I use frsky futaba 2.4ghz module on my futaba 8 FM radio. Can only get the module and receivers from HobbyKing. I would pay more for them if my LHS carried them, but it doesn't.

The point is, it is very hard to be exclusive to the LHS. They just may not have all the inventory which you need. At least that is my case. So I am glad there are online shops to fill the void of the LHS.

And so far, I have had great service from HobbyKing. I am amazed there shipping is typically less expensive than shipping in the states, except for larger heavier items. It also ships surprisingly fast considering the distance. I have even ordered backorder stuff, and as soon as it is in stock, it shipped to me.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 AM
xcz5785

Like many US companies they priced themselves out of business. I'm not for or against HK but if I can get 20 servo extentoins for $5 which are the same exact thing as I buy I my LHS for one, then yes I'm getting it at HK. Would I trust a reciver? I don't have enough experience to say either way. If i had a $10k jet i would not worry about getting an $8 reciever. If I had a $40 foamy jet I don't need a $200 reciver. There are alot of things I would get like an ARF or small parts even props (which have worked equal as APC or MA) that cost way to much at Horizon or the LHS. I'm not going to buy American just to to buy American. If I need a product, it's good and affordable and hapens to be American then I will buy American. Having said that you need to be smart in buying from these wholesalers. If you pay a really low price for something and it fails or needs tweaking to make it work don't whine about it. Fix it, reinforce it or replace the electronics, it still might be cheaper than you would have paid from one of the big name suppliers.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
llindsey1965

there is room for both all i am saying is support your LHS as much as possible and if they cant help then buy online , this is the greatest hobby ever , but it is also very expensive it is not for everyone , and top line equipment  cost too , however you can fly the inexpensive park fliers and i have no problem with that , but when you get a investment of 6000 dollars plus on one plane you dont want to cut corners to save a buck  anyway this is allabout flying lets go fly and burn some holes in the sky!!!!!!!!!  godspeed
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 AM
xcz5785

Thumbs up!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Having read all this banter I just have tell a story.

In a previous life I used to buy cheap Chinese crap to sell at the local flea market, (this was before the dollar stores). I purchased a case of items for .99 each shipped, to sell for $2. In the case was one package that was marked with S***s logo and said S***s Best. I went to a local S***s store and priced the same item, same package, same manufacturer. It was marked $11.99!

But I do miss browsing in my old local hobby shop.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the last 30 years there have been 6 local hobby shop that went out of business in my area....
some went out of business long before the internet was an issue for them

I love going to hobby shops but fore the most part none of them have what I need and I have to order it anyway. I've tried telling owners, they didn't listen to me or anyone else I guess and are now gone.

So I really don't think horrizon, tower or hobby king has much to do with the demise of our local hobby shops. They just don't have what we need to build our planes or any planes that we want

There are still a few shops in my area that have made it and have been there for many years... why? they have what we need, they know the right parts, listen to customer needs

for me they are all 45 minutes to an hour away so I don't go there much and get most my stuff online
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
llindsey1965

Most local hobby shops have what you need or they will get it for you , and most have a online you can check and order what you need , my local hobby shop is 57 miles away  one way  but i still go regularly  , once they get a feel for what you need and you are a regular customer they will get that for you and try to keep some in stock  , anyway just my oponion  , i dont have a problem with online stores i just dont use them  and have found my LHS to be only slightly higher but i am willing to pay that difference for the convinence , it is all about choice , that is what makes this country so great!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

HK has worked well for me, but my ordering is for the most part lipo's, connectors (Deans and EC3/5), wire, small servos for foamies, etc. The lipos I've gotten from them have all been pretty good, and in fact some Zippy 4s/4000 mah batteries I bought a couple of years ago are still strong, no puff at all, tight as a brick. I can't say the same for a few "name brand" batteries I have.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
USTA

If you are an experienced hobbyist and if you know what you need then Hobbyking is good.. if you are unexperienced then you might encounter some problems regarding what you expect and what you get..
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulsf86

You also need to consider the process when something does not work upon delivery. A friend ordered a 4 cell lipo that had only 3 cells wired. HK wanted the pack sent back to the offshore factory warehouse. Not sure if most are aware but shipment of LIPO by international air is not legal as the lipo is considered a hazardous material. Now what do you do?
Dude, you paid $7.99 for that pack. What do you do? You throw it away. That's what.

And USTA, this a jet forum. When you go to hobbyking and you are flying (not learning) you know what you are looking for and how it should be working.

MrMatt has said it the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.