Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Desert Jet Storm and the FAA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Desert Jet Storm and the FAA

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Chris Balling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desert Jet Storm and the FAA

Those of you who were at this year's DJS know that on Thursday afternoon we received a surprise visit by two members of the FAA's Inspection and Safety Team. Following their ninety minute visit they declared our operation "SAFE" and gave us a "Carry On" (whew). Two week ago we received a call from their "BOSS" the Regional Director, requesting an audience and a briefing. Tuesday we provided him a tour, briefing, and conducted a Jet Demo Flight. We're please to announce that we have received letter confirmation from him declaring and ensuring our field with a routine altitude to 1000' (agl). Additionally, that altitude will be raised to 2000' (agl) during Jet Events. YAHOO .
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Desert Jet Storm and the FAA

Great news!
bob
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great news Chris, although I am not surprised. You guys did a great job running that event.

Chad
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think 5000 would be what you would need for the Navy Pilots . LOL  See ya Monday.Dan
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I read the title I got a little concerned! Nice work guys, what a way to be ambassadors to the RC aviation community. [8D]
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

Congratulations Chris!

But to echo Chad, I am not surprised. You and your team ran a first rate event! As we have said before- THANKS!!!

We will definitely be back!!

J.P.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OUTSTANDING !!!!! Chris & Staff you all ran a FIRST CLASS EVENT .. looking forward to 2013
Semper fi
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Chris, I deal with the FAA directly on a regular basis...not always the easiest bunch to deal with so I have a great appreciation for your efforts! Like it has been said, you ran a first class event and its one I will not miss.

Ps...The Bandit is on the mend and all is well!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chris Balling

Those of you who were at this year's DJS know that on Thursday afternoon we received a surprise visit by two members of the FAA's Inspection and Safety Team. Following their ninety minute visit they declared our operation ''SAFE'' and gave us a ''Carry On'' (whew). Two week ago we received a call from their ''BOSS'' the Regional Director, requesting an audience and a briefing. Tuesday we provided him a tour, briefing, and conducted a Jet Demo Flight. We're please to announce that we have received letter confirmation from him declaring and ensuring our field with a routine altitude to 1000' (agl). Additionally, that altitude will be raised to 2000' (agl) during Jet Events. YAHOO .
Chris,

I looked at your field (Nice, BTW) and I didn't see any airports that close to it. Why were they interested? Are you closer to an active airport than it looks?

Bob
Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bob,

It was a witch hunt.............Yes, the field is in the middle of the desert...........COINCIDENTALLY............a full-scale just happened to fly directly over the field at 1500' while the FAA happened to be there. What an amazing coincidence considering that I have never seen any full-scale aircraft even near the site for years. There have been a couple F-16s headed to Luke at about 5000' way to the south occasionally.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Lets focus on the positive. Chris Balling and DSJ volunteers and staff = Awesome.

Event was very fun. Very very fun. Wish it was twice a year. Like once in January and one in February!

Shaz
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Now I'm confused. I thought the reasent bill passing was for the FAA to NOT have intervention and authority in out sport. What I'm I missing here?? Congrats on a well run event.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Now I'm confused. I thought the reasent bill passing was for the FAA to NOT have intervention and authority in out sport. What I'm I missing here?? Congrats on a well run event.

That's the way I read the amendment, unless you are within 5 miles of an airport. However, its too soon to see how the amendment is going to be interpreted and its good to cooperate with the Feds either way. I was just curious as to why they were interested - the field does seem to be out in the middle of the desert, well away from any normal full-scale traffic.

Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Chris Balling

NOW, the rest of the story........Luke AFB maintains an auxilary field 5 miles west of Speedworld, thus advisory control of the airspace over us is maintained by Luke. Occasionally we will see an F=16 (or two) in the area but they are always at at least 3000' Very rarely a private aircraft may happen by but that is the case when our FAA inspectors were visiting on Thursday afternoon. We had 5 jets in the air at the time and as soon as the "very old Cessna" was seen one of the spotters yelled "Full Scale", our pilots brought their craft down to 2-300' until the "lookie lou" cleared the area. The "smoke" I was giving the inspectors about safety procedure became reality. It couldn't have been better orchestrated had it been done in Hollywood. And now, our field is protected and "Charted", and we'll receive a NOTAM for our jet rally's. One other note; the day we did the demo for the "Director" our AMA AVP was present. It's all about communication and relationship and it appears it has all come together for us.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Chris, thanks for posting this. It clears up a lot.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
KidEpoxy

Might not be as clear to some folks-

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007057
But what ever unless I see it in the news or AMA site it's just hearsay.

Are you Arizona guys sure you weren't all just imagining it?
Cause it seems some folks choose not to believe it happened to ya.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

never mind, missed a post