Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Classic Flash Gear Question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Classic Flash Gear Question

Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-ARF Classic Flash Gear Question

Got about 20 flights on my Flash now and love it more and more every flight. So far I've been real ginger with her but I know the inevitable bad landing will come eventually. Not wanting to scrape the bottom of that beautiful fuse by grinding it down the runway I have a couple of questions regarding gear:

BTW, running the stock Behotec gear with straight struts (although T/L from Todd are on the way)

1) I've heard people complaining about the pins - when they fail, do they bend or break? I know some people have enlarged the pins - I would prefer not to do that - I would probably be more in favor of just replacing the retract with a 1/2" strut-accepting retract, and along those lines... next question!

2) Does someone make a trunion replacement for the B36 gear that will accept 1/2" ? I saw on Todd's site that there is such an option for the Lightening/UL but that is a totally different retract unit than the Flash/UF

3) How many people out there just running Todd's T/L pin mount struts on the B36 retracts and how do you like the setup?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Ruizmilton

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Classic Flash Gear Question

Smitty:

The behotec retracts are extremely heay duty and mine still hold air for weeks, yet, I do not like the pin method to hold the struts, the best move you made was to get the T/L struts, you may never experience a broken pin after you install them, the pins do not bend, they break. As far as I know no one makes a trunion for the B36 retract to accept struts directly (of any diameter), even though the trunions are very strong, they just do not have enough thickness to accept a strut directly. Just move to the T/L struts, I do not recommend drilling the trunions to accept 1/4" pins, and since you will get the T/L struts, there is no need to do this.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Gary Arthur

I have the TL struts but have broken the pins. Not on a hard landing but on a hard turn to avoid a runway light both pins just sheared under the side load. I have since enlarged the pin diameter and it has been fantastic since.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 AM
smitty1001

Great info, so did you just drill out the trunion and strut? What size and where to source the pins? Also, since you're making it larger anyways, does it make more sense to go to a standard size pin rather than metric? - seems like maybe easier to find replacement pins.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 AM
smitty1001

I think I just answered my own question! So a 1/4" pin wouldn't really be that much of an upgrade right? That's why people go to 8mm? What does the length of the pin need to be? Are these the pins that would fit if I drilled out strut and trunion? http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/stru...mm-p-1331.html