Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Internet Brands-Owners of RCU-Everyone Send complaint - link here

RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Internet Brands-Owners of RCU-Everyone Send complaint - link here

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
aerialsports
My Feedback: (130)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Internet Brands-Owners of RCU-Everyone Send complaint - link here

Finally, I only had to try 3 times to get to this forum. Just posted some for sale ads and noticed It took a awful lot of times just to even post ads.. What is happening to this site????
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perhaps the right method is not to contact this company, but to contact those who make the site possible through their ad funds....just saying [:@]
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perhaps the right method is not to contact this company, but to contact those who make the site possible through their ad funds....just saying [:@]

P.S. just as I am trying to post this, I got this message...
We are sorry...

You are seeing this message because of one of the following reasons:

Your session timed out.
The server was restarted before you made a HTTP POST (posting a message, registering an account, login, etc.)

Problem #1:

You probably spent too much time and your session timed out. This is, however, rarely the cause of the problem because we implemented a session keep-alive mechanism to prevent this issue from happening. However, the server itself could have experienced some problems that prevented this mechanism to work as it should, and therefore we cannot completely rule out the possibility of this either.

You need to make sure your browser has cookies enabled. See below for instructions:

Netscape Communicator 4+:

Select "Edit" from the browser Menu bar
Select "Preferences"
Double click on "Advanced"
Verify that "Accept only cookies that get sent back to the originating server" is selected
Select the "OK" button

Microsoft Internet Explorer 4+:

Select "View" from the browser Menu bar
Select "Internet Options"
Select "Security" tab
Select "Custom (for expert users)" security level and select the "Settings" button
Locate "Cookies" and verify that "Allow per-session cookies (not stored)" is enabled
Select the "OK" button on the "Security" window
Select the "OK" button on the "Internet Options" window

If you already have cookies enabled and still experienced the problem, see problem #2 below for other possible causes.

Problem #2:

Your server experienced problems and was forced to restart. Restarting a server will erase all session data and our protective mechansim had no choice but to drop your HTTP POST because we had no way to identify you without valid session data.

Many forum administrators host their forums on shared servers, on which could have more than 200 sites hosted together. Sometimes the server has to be restarted because some badly written programs on other sites may drain the CPU/RAM and cause the IIS to restart itself. This is unfortunately an inevitable situation that many site administrators and its users have to face from time to time.

Technical Information

For more information, please contact forum admin.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting someone should address this issue again. Many years ago in a galaxy far, far away before RCUniverse became "commericalized" it was a great "modelers" website. The first time they "upgraded" the website is when it became very cumbersome to use. I complained to the webmaster and his response was "if you don't like what we did go some place else". I did for quite a few years and then I came back. Personally I don't care what the owners of RCuniverse do to the website good or bad because I know if anyone challenges them on the management of the website they will get the same reply as I did years ago. I suggest if you don't like it go some place else or turn your computer off-you know there is life beyond computers and smart phones!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

About 3 years ago Internet Brands purchased a car forum that I had belonged to since 2001. After the purchase they put two of the existing administrators in charge with absolute power to run the forum any way they wanted (Before the purchase the private owner of the forum was there to oversee how the forum was managed). Once they had complete immunity and absolute power these two admins began running the forum like dictators. Long time members who had never had an issue were banned for even the slightest perceived infraction of the existing rules, and new rules were written as saw fit to allow them to ban any members they didn't like.
Just like here on RCU there were also increasing issues with server crashes which got worse and worse over time.
I know a number of emails were written directly to Internet Brands to complain about the administration issues (not sure about the server problems), the response was always to refer them to the forum administrators (the same ones who were the focus of the complaint). We concluded that Internet Brands was completely uninterested in what the members of their forum had to say, they didn't want to deal with them or have anything at all to do with the day to day running of the forum. I think they are just in it for the advertising dollars, the members who make a forum what it is are completely insignificant.
I am still a member of that car forum but I have not posted in over a year, and only logged in to read a thread or two when someone sent a link. There are literally hundreds of other current and former members who feel the same.
I hope IB doesn't do the same thing to RCU.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
IBobi
Administrator
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi folks,

This is Paul, the Community Manager for the Travel & Leisure division of Internet brands.

I wanted you to know, as directly as possible (as I am one of the voices of our technical team), that we are hearing you, and we are responding to this issue.

Last Thursday, we experienced a serious hardware issue with RCU. Every day since then we have been tracking the causes of the problem and working to resolve it. The bad news is that site performance has been, to say the least, compromised. Unusable, for a lot of members. We apologize for that, and truly hope you stick it out through this with us.

The good news is that when this issue is resolved, the hardware and software on which the site is running will have been gone through with a fine-tooth comb, and I expect the site to be running better than it has in a long time. Along with actual *planned* upgrades to the forum, I hope and believe that RCU users will see in the coming weeks and months a vastly improved site, and ideally better than it's ever been.

I appreciate your feedback, and if you have more, please email me directly at any time

I'll keep you in the loop on our progress, and thank you again for working with us on this.

Best,

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
RCUniverse
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The new look of RCU..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10846.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1735705  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: IBobi

Hi folks,

This is Paul, the Community Manager for the Travel & Leisure division of Internet brands.

I wanted you to know, as directly as possible (as I am one of the voices of our technical team), that we are hearing you, and we are responding to this issue.

Last Thursday, we experienced a serious hardware issue with RCU. Every day since then we have been tracking the causes of the problem and working to resolve it. The bad news is that site performance has been, to say the least, compromised. Unusable, for a lot of members. We apologize for that, and truly hope you stick it out through this with us.

The good news is that when this issue is resolved, the hardware and software on which the site is running will have been gone through with a fine-tooth comb, and I expect the site to be running better than it has in a long time. Along with actual *planned* upgrades to the forum, I hope and believe that RCU users will see in the coming weeks and months a vastly improved site, and ideally better than it's ever been.

I appreciate your feedback, and if you have more, please email me directly at any time at paul.obrien@internetbrands.com.

I'll keep you in the loop on our progress, and thank you again for working with us on this.

Best,

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
RCUniverse
Thanks for the update Paul and wading into this pit. I'll be more inclined to take your words as presented when I ACTUALLY SEE SOMETHING DONE. Last Thursday? These problems have been going on for weeks and longer. I'm wondering, what does *planned* mean?? Should there be a wink following that? We've heard similar for for some period of time now. Everyone talking about how its going to get fixed, few more weeks, couple more months.. seriously.. lets see some concrete action instead of words...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Popriv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strange, I keep reading about problems with RCU but I havent had any?
Granted I dont post much, Mostly just lurking... I log on 2-3 times a day... is it a connection problem?

Steve
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
thepamster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: IBobi

Hi folks,

I appreciate your feedback, and if you have more, please email me directly at any time at paul.obrien@internetbrands.com.

Best,

Paul O'Brien
Community manager
RCUniverse

Hi Paul,
I applaude you for coming on here and making a statement. I am sure that being a moderator is a very thankless job. The only time you here from the members here is when something is wrong with the site and will probably never here "hey job well done".
Having said that it is time to make something happen here.I am on this site every day which means that I see the advertisements every day. That is publicity that is hard to put a price on so I am sure that the advertisers here are as anxious as the rest of us to see this problem resolved.

The Pamster
AMA 202345
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Altered1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just tried to look at IBobi's  profile..... couldn't open it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Altered1

anyone thought of sending a mail to the advertisers on RCU? Advise them they may not be getting value for money....
I wouldn't advertise here until the issue gets fixed. Your wasting money if you do.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Mike06659

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys are right this is crap!!!!!!!!!!! I've paid good money to post ads here and it doesn't even work anymore. RCU use to be a great site but I am looking else where now. I can't even complain without getting an error message
Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree RCU bites these days. I rarely go here now.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to come here twice or 3 x a day, now I'm lucky if I can get it once. I ve already send my complaint today, let's hope it works
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Mountain_Commando_

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why do you guys even use RCU? Rcgroups is so much better. RCU user interface is stale and drab, the search function is a joke, and the sub-forum breakdown is overly convoluted. The only thing RCU used to have better than RCG was the dynamic pics (i.e. zoomable and movable thumbnails), but RCG also started providing that a while back. I made an account here long ago but barely ever post here, the only thing I use RCU for the marketplace.

Speaking of which, I will admit that the marketplace here is a lot larger, maybe that's why RCU has more users? However user experience is a LOT easier on rcgroups, IMO. Not spamming, just stating my honest opinion. In case any of you haven't used rcgroups, I would recommend you at least try it out.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Luchnia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mountain_Commando_

Why do you guys even use RCU? Rcgroups is so much better. RCU user interface is stale and drab, the search function is a joke, and the sub-forum breakdown is overly convoluted. The only thing RCU used to have better than RCG was the dynamic pics (i.e. zoomable and movable thumbnails), but RCG also started providing that a while back. I made an account here long ago but barely ever post here, the only thing I use RCU for the marketplace.

Speaking of which, I will admit that the marketplace here is a lot larger, maybe that's why RCU has more users? However user experience is a LOT easier on rcgroups, IMO. Not spamming, just stating my honest opinion. In case any of you haven't used rcgroups, I would recommend you at least try it out.
You can do a forum pretty much anywhere, but RCU does have a slick Market Place. I spent many hours in the Market Place.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM
larrysogla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyway, why did it take so long for somebody to attend to these website problems. Hope they fix it right this time. It is really frustrating with the "error website unavailable" message when trying to navigate RCU. Folks...fix it right this time, please.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
SigMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i was wondering what has been going on. they never update anything anymore.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I USED to post build information and responded to questions. RCU is very low on my list of sites to visit because of the lousy experience. I only visit here when I am bored.

My best guess is that in a year or so it will be history.

Bliksem
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
airborne2.4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW, I was just thinking someone has to say something about RCU.
I can see that I'm not the the only one who's disappointed with the way things have been[]
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
txag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kevin_W

About 3 years ago Internet Brands purchased a car forum that I had belonged to since 2001. After the purchase they put two of the existing administrators in charge with absolute power to run the forum any way they wanted (Before the purchase the private owner of the forum was there to oversee how the forum was managed). Once they had complete immunity and absolute power these two admins began running the forum like dictators. Long time members who had never had an issue were banned for even the slightest perceived infraction of the existing rules, and new rules were written as saw fit to allow them to ban any members they didn't like.
Just like here on RCU there were also increasing issues with server crashes which got worse and worse over time.
I know a number of emails were written directly to Internet Brands to complain about the administration issues (not sure about the server problems), the response was always to refer them to the forum administrators (the same ones who were the focus of the complaint). We concluded that Internet Brands was completely uninterested in what the members of their forum had to say, they didn't want to deal with them or have anything at all to do with the day to day running of the forum. I think they are just in it for the advertising dollars, the members who make a forum what it is are completely insignificant.
I am still a member of that car forum but I have not posted in over a year, and only logged in to read a thread or two when someone sent a link. There are literally hundreds of other current and former members who feel the same.
I hope IB doesn't do the same thing to RCU.
Kevin speaks the truth.

Internet Brands will be no good for RCU.

They don't care one bit about the members here no matter what someone from their company posts.

I would suggest the people who can create a new place indepentent of this one.

It will only go downhill from from this point.

You will be Dale'd at somepoint. Never heard of it?Look it up on UrbanDictionary.

Sorry to be bringing the bad news guys.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

discount internet provider i guess running the server on a 56k modem
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they should have NEVER sold this website to them, been nothing but problems back to back....
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
cordell staker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, there's reason to *****...
but no where to switch.
Horizon's just as bad