Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbo props at Jet meets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
76.57%
No
23.43%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo props at Jet meets

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Turbo props at Jet meets

ORIGINAL: matt43

Is this hobby really like this??? Seriously people... GET A GRIP!! The hobby is dying and people like this are the reason... The jet group has the most pompous arrogant people in the hobby... Thanks for ruining the hobby.... Seriously who would even say something like '' would you bring a turbine to an electric event???'' seriously when the hobby is truly dead this is why! People should be happy to have a turbo prop show up!!! People that voted no need to look in the mirror... Are you welcoming to new people at a field or do you distance your self??? Again making people not want to join our great hobby because it is full of arrogant *****s!!!
Dude, you seriously need to take a deep breath. Come to a jet flyin and you'll see the same guys that are casually debating this issue here (instead of working ) flying, talking, and generally having a great time. And yes, we even let Boli fly his paint stirrer.

I don't know where people come up with the "arrogant" part all the time. Jet guys are a bunch who take the hobby seriously (for a hobby that is) and are fairly intense about it. Go to your local soccer field and watch the "fat old guy" league play a game - talk about intense! Go up to them and ask them a question in the middle of a game and see what reaction you get!

99% of the jet guys I've met are great guys and as long as you take what they are doing into consideration, they are more than willing to help (like don't go up to a guy who is knee-deep in wrenching on his model and ask "what's wrong?" or "what does that cost?"). The Joe Nall IMAA event is the friendliest flyin out there and a great time, but I've encountered more arrogant *****H&@#^ there than at any jet flyin, and actually, there are some at our club field and they are NOT the 3 or 4 of us who fly jets...

Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Joe,

No problem, you just peaked my intertest.

Since your looking for another project, may I suggest this, I have my molds standing by

Take care my freind and hope to see you at a jet event in the near future. Perhaps the Night Hawk event.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10666.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1736361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35721.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1736362  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kerry,

That is gorgeous. Did Frank fly that? Where was the pic taken?

Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any videos? That's beautiful.

E.N.T.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vampire

Hi Joe,

No problem, you just peaked my intertest.

Since your looking for another project, may I suggest this, I have my molds standing by

Take care my freind and hope to see you at a jet event in the near future. Perhaps the Night Hawk event.

Kerry thanks

That is a beautiful bird. I bet she has a sound all her own with the Twin Turboprops.

Yes the nighthawks jet rally

What molds do you have?

Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,I have all the tooling to produce this airframe and I have been working to that end for the past year + as all my pencil drawings have been converted to CAD for Laser cutting of the wood components. I have the molds for the F/G Fuselage and Nacelles and the Vacuum forming of the flush windows. This aircraft also has the scale "variable geometry Canard" which sweeps 35 Degr. forward when the flaps are delpoyed. Yes the sound of the twin TP's is very unique as is the full scale. (only 5 of them left !)

This airframe pictured is 17 years old ! I designed it in 1991, built it from 91 thru 94 and flew it in 1995 > 2000 and retrofitted it with WREN MW44-TP's in 2010 and have flown it the past 2 years. Won Best of Show at the WRAMS trade show (NY) in 1995.

Bob, yes Frank and I have flown it at S. Albany over the past 2 seasons on just a few occasions. I represents the pinnacle of my modeling efforts over my 51 years in this sport and I fully expect to have it at Frank's Capitol Jets event in July.

E.N.T., yes there is Video on RCU, search for STARSHIP-2000A. Also search in the "multi - twin engine thread" as I had a thread running there a while back with a good deal of info on the retrofit.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Best Regards,

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this hobby really like this??? Seriously people... GET A GRIP!! The hobby is dying and people like this are the reason... The jet group has the most pompous arrogant people in the hobby... Thanks for ruining the hobby.... Seriously who would even say something like '' would you bring a turbine to an electric event???'' seriously when the hobby is truly dead this is why! People should be happy to have a turbo prop show up!!! People that voted no need to look in the mirror... Are you welcoming to new people at a field or do you distance your self??? Again making people not want to join our great hobby because it is full of arrogant *****s!!!
DITTO
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: bevar

I think we should simply ban all jets from jet meets. It's not fair to the SPA crowd that we are seemingly turning into. Ban Turbo Props...ban EDFs...can't look at chicks...whats next gang?

Beave
+10 Boli
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
fred985

ididnt even know there was such a thing. a big turboprop beech king air,,,c 130 etc whould be lots more fun to watch than 200 mph jets whistle by,,,,,i would like to see the gears that reduch the 80,000 rpm down to prop speeds.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: bevar

I think we should simply ban all jets from jet meets. It's not fair to the SPA crowd that we are seemingly turning into. Ban Turbo Props...ban EDFs...can't look at chicks...whats next gang?

Beave
I should have vote no cause Boli's smoke is sooo cool and i don't have one!!! LOL Scott
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Dude, you seriously need to take a deep breath. Come to a jet flyin and you'll see the same guys that are casually debating this issue here (instead of working ) flying, talking, and generally having a great time. And yes, we even let Boli fly his paint stirrer.

I don't know where people come up with the ''arrogant'' part all the time. Jet guys are a bunch who take the hobby seriously (for a hobby that is) and are fairly intense about it. Go to your local soccer field and watch the ''fat old guy'' league play a game - talk about intense! Go up to them and ask them a question in the middle of a game and see what reaction you get!

99% of the jet guys I've met are great guys and as long as you take what they are doing into consideration, they are more than willing to help (like don't go up to a guy who is knee-deep in wrenching on his model and ask ''what's wrong?'' or ''what does that cost?''). The Joe Nall IMAA event is the friendliest flyin out there and a great time, but I've encountered more arrogant *****H&@#^ there than at any jet flyin, and actually, there are some at our club field and they are NOT the 3 or 4 of us who fly jets...

Bob
Bob you once again hit right on the head. Our little group has had the same debate internally and we have come to agree that if it is a scale plane than no issue, but if it is a extra/cap type just with a TP in it then they should wait to fly it after hours. Look at the diversity of what we bring to fly during and after the events and you will see we LOVE aviation as a group. As you stated most of the a**holes in and around the hobby are the tire kickers and those that bring their ego booster planes that they never fly and stand around and talk about, or want to talk to you while you are working trying to fix an issue or after a incident.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Kerry,

I can't wait to see it in person!

Bob
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I can only speak of my own experiences of turboprops at jet flys and would have to vote yes.

I'm sure 99% of the guys that turn up with turboprops at jet meets also fly 'normal' jets & know
the procedures & what's expected of them in their behaviour. I don't think the hovering over the
centre of the runway, 3D pests that spoil normal fly-ins are likely to be a problem at a jet meet
because they rely on being the centre of attention & they aren't going to achieve that at a meet
full of jets.

Must pity the turboprop flyers, they get the don't fly that primative prop driven thing at our jet fly
line but at their own fields the 'old fart' team give them the dangerous, noisy, going to explode &
end the world line that the jet flyers recieve.

The 'compatability with other models' issue doesn't cut it either, was flying a jet at a fly in with
prop driven models & the 'experts' stayed on the ground way from the 'dangerous' jet. Another
flyer's 8 YO son wanted to fly his Cub, taxiied out asked if it was ok to fly & joined me in the air.

He was obviously too young or naive to have the usual 'jet' prejudice, it was just another model to
him. No problems at all flying 'incompatable' models with a bit of communication & consideration.
He's a credit to his dad & his dad's attitudes, perhaps he can teach a few adults a thing or two. - John.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

What a stupid question ! I thought discrimination was a thing of the past in this country.

And the fool that made the statement that props are for boats, should not even be in the model airplane hobby. He probably has never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane race. I bet you that he is a real peach of a fellow at the flying field.

Its almost like, I have a jet and you don't. My airplane is bigger than yours. My airplane has a bigger engine that yours. My airplane cost more than yours.

WHAT NONSENSE !!!!

Its a hobby CHILDREN ......... enjoy it in what ever manner you can ............... Life is to freaking short, for this kind of crap [&o]
Hey Kook,

I have a jet and you don't, my jet IS bigger than yours. My jet has a bigger turbine than your stinkin' lil O.S. and yes my jet DID cost more than yours.

Charge up your EDF and beat it.

I think turboprops are awesome, I love to watch 'em.