Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbo props at Jet meets

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
76.57%
No
23.43%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo props at Jet meets

Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Turbo props at Jet meets

A 90% bypass ratio on a turbofan is a turbine engine powering a great big fan.  And the thrust is from the fan, not the turbine exhaust itself.  But as near as I can tell jet pilots are some of the biggest exclusive babies in this hobby.  Let them have their "jet events" less EDF jets, turboprops, turbine-powered helicopters and the few nitro ducted fans that still exist or they'll take their toys and go home. 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

I think we should simply ban all jets from jet meets. It's not fair to the SPA crowd that we are seemingly turning into. Ban Turbo Props...ban EDFs...can't look at chicks...whats next gang?

Beave

Hey B I was wondering what happened to you, it took 22 posts for you to come alive

Your in double trouble, Turbo Props and EDF's

You better be careful or the next thing will be a ban on cigars

Are you having fun in school, make sure you keep Jed in line

You don't have to worry, Joe would never ban chicks on his event thread...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56517.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1736076  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
hofer

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi guys,
I just voted yes, even though I am still missing a really adequately powered turboprop !
The SPT5, as the wren mk54 as well, are just not good enough to power these large 45 pounds ships like the comp-arf tucano or the HT modellbau PC-21`s scale like !!
If you have ever witnessed the display performance of the full size PC-21 ( as I did several times ), you would agree !
That airplane is almost a jet !
A turboprop powersystem to power these ships properly must be based on something like an AMT Pegasus or jetcat 180 to mimik the flight performance of the
respective full size counterparts !

PS : Dieter Albisser ( who many of you might know since he is producing a lot of turbine parts for quite some respected manufactures ) is a close friend of mine
and he is actually working on a peggy based turboprop that will deliver up to 26kw to move those large ships around in a way that would make every jet guy jealous !

see you from Switzerland
Hans
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

I saw a red Tucano jet-prop at Jets Over Kentucky last summer. It was expertly flown, inverted over the runway, very entertaining. It was a great contrast to the other jets there.
That's Boli's (AKA Bevar)

It is one sweet machine, and Boli is OK on the sticks

Name:	Ca81595.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1736127  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

+2 on Bob

I voted no, but come to think, I don't think we are going to see 4 turboprops at any given jet meet may be one and one only so then, it will be nice and enjoyable to see it fly and to have something else other than a jet (fix wing) powered by a turbine.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PaulD

I've owned both a Reaction and a Flash with a Merlin 160 in it. I would say that these 2 aircraft would be at the opposite end of the scale in terms of speed..........

Granted my little P-70 powered Reaction isn't quiet the go getter my Flash is with it's 40 lbs of blow, but she'll hold her own and out perform the majority of jets at events i have taken it too.

I voted Yes, i could care less what you fly as long as we're all having fun doing it. did someones scratch built get beat out by a turbo prop what started this?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Props are for BOATS!!!

'any questions?[:-]

Tailwinds,

John
Amen brother Jethead!

Dave
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

I think we should simply ban all jets from jet meets. It's not fair to the SPA crowd that we are seemingly turning into. Ban Turbo Props...ban EDFs...can't look at chicks...whats next gang?

Beave
Ban Dennis

Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What a stupid question ! I thought discrimination was a thing of the past in this country.

And the fool that made the statement that props are for boats, should not even be in the model airplane hobby. He probably has never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane race. I bet you that he is a real peach of a fellow at the flying field.

Its almost like, I have a jet and you don't. My airplane is bigger than yours. My airplane has a bigger engine that yours. My airplane cost more than yours.

WHAT NONSENSE !!!!

Its a hobby CHILDREN ......... enjoy it in what ever manner you can ............... Life is to freaking short, for this kind of crap [&o]
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

What a stupid question ! I thought discrimination was a thing of the past in this country.

And the fool that made the statement that props are for boats, should not even be in the model airplane hobby. He probably has never been to an Unlimited Hydroplane race. I bet you that he is a real peach of a fellow at the flying field.

Its almost like, I have a jet and you don't. My airplane is bigger than yours. My airplane has a bigger engine that yours. My airplane cost more than yours.

WHAT NONSENSE !!!!

Its a hobby CHILDREN ......... enjoy it in what ever manner you can ............... Life is to freaking short, for this kind of crap [&o]
Hey "Grandpoopa"
Props ARE for boats unless it does not have a motor..Then it's a glider!

It's not discrimination... just preference!

Dave
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

It looks like the majority of jet pilots feel it's ok if a turboprop plane, like a Tucano, flew during a jet event.  The question I have is would you guys feel the same way if the same Tucano was powered by an electric motor?  Why or why not?  If the event is a Jet event and not a specific propulsion type event it sounds like it would be ok to me based on the responses.

Kirk
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM
rcjetsaok

Sounds like a bunch of hair splitting to me !!!! Everybody just come and have a good time. If you feel like there is a grey area at an event, then ask the C.D. BEFORE you drive 20 minutes or 20 hours to the event so you will know what to expect when you arrive. If you don't like what you hear, stay home. Good grief !! , This is just another topic of controversy in the ultimate quest to go have fun !!! I have seen less commotion at the Walmart at midnight on Black Friday !!!!.. Wearing me smooth out !!!!!! [X(]

Danno
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

An electric Tucano, then I would say no. In the case of the turbo-prop Tucano, as was mentioned before, you must have a turbine waiver to fly it and it fits into the pattern with the jets - as its usually flown. An EDF, as long as its not a foamy and is of a certain size and performance, is OK to, because its a jet. An electric Tucano is neither, so I would say no.

BTW, at most of the flyins I've been to, the EDFs either fit into the pattern like jets (i.e., BVM Electras with turbine-like performance), or guys will generally wait until its not busy before taking them up (like some of the smaller 90mm fan types). I try and do the same thing with my F4D, primarily because flight times are short, and I can't hold more than one go-around before landing...

Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Danno,

I'm here in The Big D now set up over at The Vineyards on Grapevine Lake. Jed is here too going through Global Express school.

This weekend they have me in class but Jed is off on Sunday. Next week it gets better. Let's hook up!

Beave
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Sounds like a bunch of hair splitting to me !!!! Everybody just come and have a good time. If you feel like there is a grey area at an event, then ask the C.D. BEFORE you drive 20 minutes or 20 hours to the event so you will know what to expect when you arrive. If you don't like what you hear, stay home. Good grief !! , This is just another topic of controversy in the ultimate quest to go have fun !!! I have seen less commotion at the Walmart at midnight on Black Friday !!!!.. Wearing me smooth out !!!!!! [X(]

Danno
funny and 100% right.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

I saw a red Tucano jet-prop at Jets Over Kentucky last summer. It was expertly flown, inverted over the runway, very entertaining. It was a great contrast to the other jets there.
That's Boli's (AKA Bevar)

It is one sweet machine, and Boli is OK on the sticks

+1
I used to think turbo-props were boring untill Boli started flying his. Always one of the highlights/award winners when he's there.

Name:	Yw67293.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1736298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34943.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1736299  
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You don't have to worry, Joe would never ban chicks on his event thread...
[/quote]

Rich
Your bad LOL I believe there is a pic of you with the same girl some where.

Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Jetpilot24

ORIGINAL: Vampire

Hi Joe,

The AMA has deemed TP's as ''TURBINE POWERED FIXED WING'' aircraft subject to the same pilot credentials, testing and waiver requirements as all other Turbine powered aircraft.

Webster’s Dictionary definition of a ''JET AIRPLANE'':

[''an airplane POWERED by A JET ENGINE that utilizes the surrounding air in the combustion of fuel or by a rocket-type jet engine that carries its fuel and all the oxygen needed for combustion'']

This would inherently include TP's.

One last fact,...A turboprop aircraft produces approx. 90% of it thrust from the propeller and the remaining 10% from the EXHUAST NOZZLES !!

Could you share with us the relative nature / purpose of your poll ? Is it the concern for the delta in the speeds of the 2 relative types of turbine powered models or ?

Thank you

Kerry S.

Kerry

good to hear from you. General purpose of the poll, I was really bored one day and threw it out there. No harm was intended. I need another project to use up my time.

Joe

Kerry

good to hear from you. General purpose of the poll, I was really bored one day and threw it out there. No harm was intended. I need another project to use up my time.

Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Jetpilot24

Actually the reason for the poll was simple.

I have heard people talk on both sides of the fence and I was curious as to the feelings of others on Turbo props at Jet events. I take no sides on the question at hand and I didn't even vote.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and 140 owner
Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I was at Florida Jets last weekend. A Tucano and a Turbo Raven flew. Both beautiful planes, both fun to watch.

My $0.02
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
rcjetsaok

General purpose of the poll, I was really bored one day and threw it out there. No harm was intended. I need another project to use up my time.

Joe

Just what I have said over and over... People sitting around " Bored " and get on the WWW and post something that has no real relevance just to stir the pot and get everybody all roweled up for no reason.... Who cares !!!! If i had the time to dream up and worry about things like this, I think I would just go to the flying field and burn some fuel !!!..... I guess I'm just getting *****y in my old age !!!!

Luv ya man !!!!

Danno
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Jetpilot24

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

General purpose of the poll, I was really bored one day and threw it out there. No harm was intended. I need another project to use up my time.

Joe

Just what I have said over and over... People sitting around '' Bored '' and get on the WWW and post something that has no real relevance just to stir the pot and get everybody all roweled up for no reason.... Who cares !!!! If i had the time to dream up and worry about things like this, I think I would just go to the flying field and burn some fuel !!!..... I guess I'm just getting *****y in my old age !!!!

Luv ya man !!!!

Danno
Actually the reason for the poll was simple.

I have heard people talk on both sides of the fence and I was curious as to the feelings of others on Turbo props at Jet events. I take no sides on the question at hand and I didn't even vote.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and 140 owner
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

OK... where would this fall??? It's a falcon/bobcat with a wren 44 spinning a fan. The majority of the trust is from the fan. Would this be banned since it has a gear box and a "Prop"??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIiuSHSzf_Q
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
matt43

Is this hobby really like this??? Seriously people... GET A GRIP!! The hobby is dying and people like this are the reason... The jet group has the most pompous arrogant people in the hobby... Thanks for ruining the hobby.... Seriously who would even say something like " would you bring a turbine to an electric event???" seriously when the hobby is truly dead this is why! People should be happy to have a turbo prop show up!!! People that voted no need to look in the mirror... Are you welcoming to new people at a field or do you distance your self??? Again making people not want to join our great hobby because it is full of arrogant *****s!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

So...I'm at a show once upon a time and the CD says "Guys...no more passes over the runway...keep them over the grass please".

This was a mistake, because since then...every time I make a pass...the Jackals are always yelling "lower lower lower".

It's all fun guys...keep it real.

Beave

Name:	Wu59641.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1736336  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.