Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

receiver power/reliabilty Spektrum 2.4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

receiver power/reliabilty Spektrum 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default receiver power/reliabilty Spektrum 2.4

I know this isnt a jet plane but you guys fly the most expensive planes and most know how to set up the plane to not have any issues and be reliable. I did post this in the Giant scale section also.

I have a small twin that I will be building soon its a ESM F-7F tigercat.

I am wondering what would be the best option for a receiver(s) using JR/Spektrum 2.4 DSMX.

I am looking at two options right now.

I will give a run down of electronics.

The plane will have 12 servos total and electric retracts along with electric actuators for gear doors.

Servos will be HS-7940TH for Primary flight controls 4 each and 8 each of the HS-5495BH for secondary flight controls and acc items like brakes, flaps and so on. The retracts will be from ESM Version II. Door actuators will be from Lado. I will need nose weight in the plane so I can run two large 5000Mah LiPo or four 2500 LiPo packs depending on receiver set up below.

I am looking at the AR-9210 power safe evoultion or running two AR 9010 receivers with one in each engine pod as i have tons of room.
going with the single 9210 mounted in the center fuselage i will have long servo wire runs to it with only one Y harnes in the whole plane. If I run the two receiver option mounted in the pods I will have one Y-harness in each engine pod for the Flaps ( two on each wing) but short servo wire runs for wings and engine stuff but will have two long wire runs for the elevator, rudder, nose steering and nose gear retract. I would also have long power wires to the receivers. I like the idea of the two receivers for redundency but not sure on the long power runs to the receivers and running gas engines.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
HenryRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: receiver power/reliabilty Spektrum 2.4

With that kind of load, I would consider the Powerbox Competition or Cockpit SRS. You will need a min of 3 but better 4 Spektrum satellite receivers that plug in direct. Look at their website but what you are suggesting doubles rather than halves the risk of failure. If you switch to Futaba or Jeti, you just change the satellites. With the Powerbox, you get proper redundancy.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM
airraptor

I am posting to different ideas. and i gave my load that will on the receiver. 12 servos digital servos and electric retracts for a 28 lbs plane or i think 12-14 kilos for you. i will go check them out.

how did i double the risk of failure. each receiver will have a dual fail safe power set up IE: four batteries in the plane.

can you explain what "proper redundency" is in the power box? not being a smart ass but just asking. looking for the best solution. Also i said spektrum 2.4. i will not switch to those other two.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 AM
RUFTER

Go with the 9210. In your initial post you mentioned you liked the idea of 2 recievers for redundancy, The AR9210 is basically 3 recievers linked to a Powerbox Evolution. Plus you get the benefits of a dual regulated redundant battery input and amplified servo signal outputs.

Regards, Bart.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Yep... the AR9210 is good. Feed it from 2 separate batteries, and then, feed your electric retracts from it's own battery.

I personally use the R921 Rx, with 2 switches, and 2 batteries. (without a regulator) It's an older Rx, but it has 2 battery ports to feed both sides of the bus.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
airraptor

Ok the 9210 will be the one I go with. i like the idea of another battery to run the gear. i can use this battery for the ignition also. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM
asimace

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Ok the 9210 will be the one I go with. i like the idea of another battery to run the gear. i can use this battery for the ignition also. Thanks.
The 9210 is of course ok but if price is not an issue go for the Cockpit SRS or the Spektrum version AR-12200 as there are just so many features that can help setup of complex models like your Tigercat.
Just to mention some: 4 satellites, unrestricted channel output mapping, built in door sequencer, built-in datalog for frame losses and failsafe events...
Mauri
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The AR 9210 also has data logging. I have two of them. I spot check, on my DX8s, the flight log data when flying, especially way out there. That is an excellent feature to ID your aircraft's range w/o loosing it. (i.e. If your seeing Frame Losses stack up on the transmitter's screen, it is time to turn the plane back toward you. If you are seeing Holds you have exceeded your limit for consistent control and its time try to recover control: One hold may not be too bad. Several and you are pushin' it, etc.)

Not sure where all your servos are going. You may have to use a couple Equalizer IIs or get programmable servos to get them all matched up correctly if Yed. (e.g. Throttle Output to an Equalizer II and then Equalizer II outputs to each throttle servo, or ganged Aileron Servos, etc.) The 9210 essentially only has 9 distinct outputs. However, some of them are already “Y”ed at the Main Unit (i.e. Aile, Rudd & Aux 1) Depending on how you set things up, it has a greater capacity than the typical 9 outputs. But you will probably not be able to mix all your servos in on separate "channels."

I have two AR 9210s in 33% OMP Extras. Make sure you read the Bulletin on the product's webpage and the Addendum to the product's manual. The Bulletin explains how to toggle output voltage to 6.0 and back to 7.4. You also have to do the voltage toggling procedure to both sides of the main unit individually to ensure they are both outputting at the same VDC. The addendum explains how to get your preset failsafes set, should you be using telemetry. However, if you time the Bind button pressing exactly, you can get the presets in w/o doing the procedure. But determining the button release timing will take several trys. The new procedure should be easier.

I did have one AR 9210 fail on me. I was able to fly the plane back in. The rudder was twitching and both trouble LEDs were locked in. But, ...I did fly it back in for an uneventful landing. Guess that is what the "PowerSafe" is all about. HH/Spektrum replaced it.

I will probably put an AR 9210, or later product, in the next build. You can only beat 3 Rxers with maybe something that uses 4. But three properly positioned Rxers covers all angles. From an RF persepective, unless you have a lot of carbon fiber to deal with, I am not convinced that 4 adds RF capability. The Rxers are redundant should one fail. Also, the dual power inputs to the Main Unit are redundant and will self isolate on a battery failure. What I see are very closely matched batteries after several flights. I think the main unit could be switching supplies all the time, etc. Either that or I have my system perfectly matched, which I know is not true.

One thing with these units though. You have to press the SET button and then, once its LED is lit, press the desired ON buttons, etc.. If you are not watching what you are doing, I think you can reset the failsafes. I am not sure how I did a reset. But, I think I inadvertently reset the failsafes one time while on the bench pressing buttons w/o watching for the LEDs, etc, or even looking at that side of the plane. If you do it in the proper sequence, all is well. I have done it correctly a couple hundred times.

If you set up a Fiber Optic kill switch on a channel, you do not need a manual switch on the ignition unless you plan on leaving the batteries in the plane hooked up all the time. I use all LiPos and pull them out of my planes and helis for charging. I had a 3SLiPo fire once (crashed Heli battery started sizzling and then seconds later burst into flames when put on the charger) and they are not pretty. I since have charged all LiPos out of the plane. Also, you can program the preset failsafe to kill the engine, among other settings, should the transmitter signal be lost.

I have been a Amateur Radio Operator for almost 40 years. I have even built my own radios from scratch. I also have worked as an Instrument and Control technician and an RF Tech.After flying my giants with several other giant pilots and discussing how each of our Electrical and RF systems work, I am glad I literally spent weeks researching this topic to ID the best product for my use. I use 4 HV Hitec Digital Aile servos with two Smartfly Equalizer IIs, 2 HV Hitec Digital Ele servos, 1 HV High torque Hitec Digital tail mounted Rudd servo, 1 HV Hitec Digital Thro servo, 1 Sullivan smoke pump with Sep Battery, Smartfly FO Killswitch controlling separate battery for DLE 111's CDI) It all works, including telemetry on RPMs, Rxer Battery Voltage and Head Temps, and I still have a few "channels" left over. So the AR 9210 was the product for me, even if it was a bit pricy for my personal taste.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If weight is needed in the nose and size is not an issue go A123 LiFe batteries, more reliable than LiPo and not prone to combust, the added bonus is they can be left in the airframe when charging, but must be balanced when charging. Genuine A123's come in 2300 and 1100Mah I have noticed that the 2300 are being offered as 2500Mah, but have the same part number as the 2300.

Mike