Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with diagnosing crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with diagnosing crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Help with diagnosing crash

Flashing lights on the receiver and satellites means a low voltage condition and the system had to rebind.

And only one satellite? In a Jet? Really?

Try to hook up your turbine and see what the last off condition was. Failsafe? Low Batt? RC off? Low RPM?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jonty
Ok, so I was flying the downward leg in a flat level position when suddenly there was a right aileron command given somehow and the Boomer rolled to the right and into a nosedown dive.
By downward do you mean downwind? How was you airspeed? Sounds like a tip stall to me not an equipment problem. Most tip stalls happen exactly that way. One wing stops flying(stalls), plane nosesover into a dive in the direction of the stalled wing.

Rrragman
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
jonty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't a tip stall as it was fair honking downwind
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

How do you know? Everything you have noted points to just that. Flying flat, level and fine' then a "mystery" R aileron input, elevater trim out of wack, flying the downwind leg. What's the wing loading on this plane? How much of a tail wind? A wing can stall at what seems to be (observing from the ground) a very fast airspeed on the down wind leg. My guess is that had the plane been high enough to recover you would of found you had no equipment problem and the right wing just stalled. You obviously disagree with me and that's fine but you may want to store my theory in your memory bank for future use.

Rrragman
Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

jonty,

What brand servo and model number were on the ailerons? How much time on the airframe?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

This is why I will not use a 2.4 system.........yet - at least with a 72mhz you MAY have a chance of landing it.........

Jackjet
Rabbit Dry Lake
That's assuming this was in fact a radio issue and not a control surface or assembly issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
jonty

I'll check the servo details tonight. Rrragman, i'm not trying to be argumentative or dismissive at all what I am saying it was not a tip stall because I was flying downwind with a very light 5mph breeze at about 90mph. With a big floaty boomerang if that was a tip stall then I may as well give up flying
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM
roger.alli

Hi Jonty

Sound like this may have been your first jet?? It’s tough to lose one without any clue to what happened.. In the end it may be very hard or impossible to diagnose the actual cause of your crash .

A crash such as you describe can only be attributed to one of three causes.

A failure in the radio control system.
A mechanical or structural failure in the aircraft.
A pilot error.

You should be able to quickly rule out the third cause, especially if you have eyewitnesses and can confirm it did not stall, or you flew it into the ground!!.. .

Radio issues can some times be diagnosed, however with the DSM system you have, you are limited in the information available, i.e. no data logging or down link. Statistically, the most common radio fault would likely be low voltage, and this is a good place to start looking.. There are lots of threads here you can search for info,, This one http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm has some great info from very experienced modellers on voltage issues in Spectrum Systems.. Jack Diaz lost a model in very similar circumstance to you. This thread is certainly worth a read.

Once you rule low voltage out, then you need to go through each component of the radio link from Tx to Servo..

A mechanical failure also might be able to be diagnosed, if you have enough of the model left to do some forensics. I think a lot of perceived radio issues may actually be airframe failures. From what you have described, I would have to agree with post 18 by essyou35. Your model was inexplicably out of trim, so something was amiss from the moment you took off. An incorrectly assembled model would explain this.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are very correct on that one, it is possible on a Boomerang to incorrectly assemble the tailplane, I accidently did this quite recently resulting in the stab not seating correctly on the fin on one side causing an untrimmable dive and nasty roll developing at speed.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Couch Potato

I know what you mean Gary.

I got in the habit of standing 10 yds in front of the Boomer and looking to see everything was rigged properly.
You can miss this if standing next to and above the jet !