Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Horizon Hobby 2012 Air Meet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Horizon Hobby 2012 Air Meet

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon Hobby 2012 Air Meet

First Annual Horizon Hobby 2012 Air Meet! This event will be held in the Great State of Maine at the Sanford Municipal Airport, September 6-9. Make room for this spectacular event in your 2012 calendar, as it is not to be missed! Please join us by traveling to Vacationland to an air meet that guarantees to be a show stopper! Will have lots of flying time this year, as we are back to flying on the runway. The 2012 Air Meet will also include an area for RC Helicopters, RC Cars and lots more. Saturday night will include a pilot banquet complete with Lobster, Entertainment and an Awards Ceremony. For more information, please contact Ray Labonte @ (207)797-5196.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jh15132.pdf (399.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf
Hc93864.pdf (399.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Horizon Hobby 2012 Air Meet

Phil, cant we just say the Maine Jet Rally is getting a huge make over courtesy of Horizon? This is going to be a one of those events that you dont want to miss. Looking forward to seeing all of you in Sept.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil,

Sorry Bro, ... The Greater Southwest Jet Rally turns 30 years old that weekend.. Gonna celebrate it in a big way in Waco, Tx.... I don't even think the Flux-Capacitor can help me with this schedule !!! Sounds like you guys are gonna have a great time, I'm sure it will be a lot cooler there as well !!! We'll be in touch, See ya in Mississippi !!! Go ahead and bring some Lobsters to Mississippi, we'll throw them in with the Mudbugs !!!!

Later Dude !!!!

Danno
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 AM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

Danno,

No worries Bro wish I could attend GSW as well. See ya MAB……
Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am planning on attending the Air meet, and after speaking to Ray in depth about it at FJ, I am even more excited. There is so much going on at one meet that it almost made my head spin. Ray and the guys from Horizon are really coming at this event from a whole new angle. Lots of new, and fresh ideas, which I look forward to seeing in motion.
If anyone else from Europe is looking to attend this meeting, then please feel free to get in touch with me, and I will be happy to assist, and answer any questions that you may have. Take a look, its far more than just a jet meet.
I have a feeling that this event is going to grow, and grow!
Regards Al
Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it will be a great time. My son and I will be attending. Put this one on your calendars.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This sounds like it's going to be quite a depature from the earlier meets there..Im excited, will be bringing the whole fam up for this one. Sounds like there will be something for everyone there..Can't wait
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like it's going to be a "NE" version of Joe Nall, and has the potential to become VERY big!!!

VERY COOL![8D]
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

So is it flying for "regular" pilots on Thursday and Friday only and then Saturday and Sunday are only for "demo" pilots?

Bob
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Bob that's not true.

It's open flying for the 4 days with noon time breaks for the demos on Sat and Sun.

Not too clear on the brochure.

bob
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
John Redman

Yes Bob, Full open flying the entire time. There will be some noon type demos for the crowd to show multiple aspects of the hobby, but for the most part it is wide open. The main purpose of the Air Meet is to introduce the public to RC in it's entirety. Trying to help people learn and find a new hobby that we all know is incredible.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Flight time vs. driving distance is going to be important this summer - and probably from here-on-out based on projected gas prices...

Bob
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
John Redman

Totally agree with you on that. It is getting to be a bit ridiculous.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A bit?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to me when you start paying more than $8 per gallon! [:'(]

On a lighter note, sounds like a good event.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
rplabonte

Let me clarify the flying schedule to make sure there is no confusion. This is an open event for all participants for the full four days. We are planning for noontime demos on Saturday & Sunday featuring some local and imported talent to enhance the event. The fact is the participants are the show. Horizon Air Meet 2012 is partnering up with the Maine Jet Rally to bring the don't miss event of the year to the Sanford Regional Airport located in Sanford, Maine. Current plans include hosting the usual Maine Jet Rally, a Helicopter Flightline, R/C Car Racing and a Combat Control Line Event. These are only a portion of the many things we have planned to entertain our fellow modelers along with what we're sure will be one of the largest crowds to gather at a modeling venue here in the USA this year. We should have a dedicated web site up and running for your online registration in the next few weeks. I'll continue to add information here as well leading up to the actual event September 6 - 9, 2012.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rplabonte

Let me clarify the flying schedule to make sure there is no confusion. This is an open event for all participants for the full four days. We are planning for noontime demos on Saturday & Sunday featuring some local and imported talent to enhance the event. The fact is the participants are the show. Horizon Air Meet 2012 is partnering up with the Maine Jet Rally to bring the don't miss event of the year to the Sanford Regional Airport located in Sanford, Maine. Current plans include hosting the usual Maine Jet Rally, a Helicopter Flightline, R/C Car Racing and a Combat Control Line Event. These are only a portion of the many things we have planned to entertain our fellow modelers along with what we're sure will be one of the largest crowds to gather at a modeling venue here in the USA this year. We should have a dedicated web site up and running for your online registration in the next few weeks. I'll continue to add information here as well leading up to the actual event September 6 - 9, 2012.
Hi Ray. What does this mean..."This is an open event for all participants for the full four days."? Is this a dedicated jet rally or will the flight line be open to anything? Will props and jets be mixing it up??
Thanks!
Dom
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
rplabonte

Dom, it is an open event for jet flyers at the Jet Rally flight line, helicopter flyers at the helicopter line and car racers at the R/C Car track area. We should have more specific information forthcoming on the web site. Sorry for any confusion. We're learning as we move along, swiftly!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that sounds great! I am planning on attending but like Bob stated earlier, you have to consider the distance and the amount of flying you can do before making that decision. It sound like it is going to be one AWESOME event. Thank you for responding!!
Dom
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Ray,

Any ideas on RV parking this year? Now that we're back to the main runway... (which I am really glad to hear... ;-) )

Thanks,
...jim
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
FB111NAV-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Dominic,

The second PDF File in Post #1 Has a map of seperate areas where each Facet of RC is planned. Jets are on the Runway.

Hope to see you this year!
Bob
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Jim, did you want a spot near the fire pit?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:26 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Jim -

We're going to go out to the Sanford Regional Airport the first of next month to lay out the venues - and by venues, I mean VENUES! Along with the main runway area for the jets, we've been in contact with a local contractor to construct a top flight R/C Car track that the local club with maintain and use for the balance of the season. We plan to mow and maintain a large heli area along with a C/L circle. There was even some talk of a (albeit temporary) "pond" for boats?? I'm planning to bring my camper down so I'll make sure we have a good spot to park. If you take the link below along with the image that Phil posted above, it'll give you a good lay of the land.
[link=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sanford+regional+airport&ll=43.394586,-70.711806&spn=0.011476,0.01796&fb=1&gl=us&hq=sanford+regional+airport&hnear=sanford+regional+airport&cid=0,0,8515156546538521364&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A]]Sanford Regional[/link]
The team met last night with Pete Goldsmith and Joe Schamuhn from Horizon. I for one found it a very useful and productive meeting if, for no other reason than for the team to see the level of commitment that Horizon has to this event (and it is a HUGE COMMITMENT) and for Horizon to get a feel for the level of support that Ray has backing him up on it. I believe both parties came away impressed.

I think Ray expressed the feelings of everyone who has been a part of the Maine Jet Rally for the last decade and a half, that this event was built by you guys who come from afar to fly and we don't want to change that. And Ray conveyed that feeling to both Joe and Pete. That we are 110% behind this event and everything that it can be but we don't want the guys who come to fly to get lost in the mix. While we have the opportunity to see some VERY VERY cool stuff in the course of the 4 days (aside from the stuff you guys bring!) flying time will be paramount.

Since this is Horizon's first effort on this side of the Atlantic, they couldn't be happier to find a well established and run event at a supreme facility to partner with. In fact, while no one need tell you guys, Joe and Peter came away from their visit to the Sanford airport VERY impressed. Joe remarked that the venue where they hold the European version of the Horizon Air Meet is but 1/3 the size of the area we'll occupy.

We ALL have a chance to have something very awesome happen this summer in Sanford, something that hasn't been seen in these parts before. So stay tuned. As we know more, you'll know more!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
John Redman

Great update Nik. Looking forward to this one!!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Great update Nik. Looking forward to this one!!

Thanks John! Me too. I've been away from the Maine Jet Rally for a couple years as life events get in the way but I couldn't be more excited to get back at it.

I understand that Ray has pressed you and I into service doing Public Address work.... He says we'll get along just fine for some reason....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.