Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F100 from Friedhelm Graulich

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F100 from Friedhelm Graulich

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 AM
ash 26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F100 from Friedhelm Graulich

Hi
here is the video link to Friedhelm's fantastic scratch build F100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mLdiZUwKWGw

enjoy

Andy
Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: F100 from Friedhelm Graulich

Looks great on the ground, but I think a great example of a model being too big, and too light.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Awsome jet. What was in it for power and what did total weight end up?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 AM
ash 26

Hi Ali
Still a great effort from Arno Donath to build such a modell at 82 years of age and Friedhelm fly's it great I hope that I will still be around at that age and be able to perform the hobby in some shape or form

all up weight is 24.2 kg
scale is 1/4,3
lenght 3330 mm
wing span 2660 mm
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Ali

I hope I am still breathing at that age, yet alone producing masterpieces such as this! No doubt on the building side. I watch and admire ( and try to buy ) any of their projects every year... So to say I am a fan would be an understatement.
I know they have strict weight restrictions in Germany ( 25 kg wet) so the fact that they keep getting their models in just under that weight is amazing. Yet I do feel they just present that little bit too light. On some jets, it does not seem that bad. On others, I just get the impression ( and it could just be me) that this light loading detracts from the overall impression when airborne.
Again it could just be me... But I have spent a fair amount if time recently admiring a few BVM F-100's fly. Whilst allot smaller than this one physically, they did appear to present better, and dare I say it more like what I expect an F-100 to look like. I know there could be lots of arguments regards scale speed and such, but from a percetpion point of view, the smaller, faster F-100's that I have been watching just seem to have more F-100ness about them [&:]

Regards Al
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Geoff White

I agree Ali. The best example is the Skygate hawk because below 20Kgs its simply too light.

I was looking forward to seeing a 'heavy' Skygate Hawk being flown in the UK to see what difference it made but the owner selfishly went and sold it
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Ali

LOL Sorry Geoff. The kids had to eat

I fully agree with you on the too light a hawk thing. But even then, I seem to have more tolerance as its a trainer type aircraft, that if I am not mistaken isn't exactly a rocket ship in real life. The F-100 for me falls into that heavy metal category where they just seem to look at their best when the hare howling through on a low pass looking menacing and purpousful.[:@] So to see one floating around the sky as if its filled with helium just looks out of place to me.
Regards Al
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Geoff White

Agree with you on the F100's...thats twice in a row.

I am so looking forward to flying my F100 when I get it finished(going to be next year now) as everyone that I have seen fly always look the db's.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Ali

Your going to love if Geoff. I was flying one out in FJ and just know I had a big smile on my face the entire flight ( Thanks Gregg) Its one of those planes that you can just fly circuits with and be happy with that. Perfect CJ model
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Ali, I too think it is a great aircraft and hope that I am able to do that in my 80's. However I have yet to see a heavier plane fly better than a lighter one other than toluerance to gusting winds. What it looks like is it could use a much larger thrust engine for a flight speed increase since we all know that unexcelerated level flight speed equals total drag.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Your going to love if Geoff. I was flying one out in FJ and just know I had a big smile on my face the entire flight ( Thanks Gregg) Its one of those planes that you can just fly circuits with and be happy with that. Perfect CJ model
You are very welcome Ali for that flight. It looked great in the air and you are more than welcome to fly it any time Buddy. I hope i can make it KY jets this year again. By the way i was informed yesterday by R/C jet pilot magazine that i will be on there cover in the next issue which should be released this week. It is a web only magazine so check it out at www.rcpilot.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25581.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1737976  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron, I think what Ali is trying to say here is the main appearance of the model in the air. The model never seems to find it's place and sit solid in flight. It floats more than it drives through the air. Quite noticable on final approach to touchdown where she is floating by and it is pretty apparent you could not deliver the high alpha landing style the real F-100 was known for. Lighter does fly better, no argument there and I believe Ali would totally agree. But in the world of the heavy metal jet that is possibly being portrayed or as we are conceptualizing it, it just doesn't give the full grunt look. Does that make a bit more sense?

No doubt it is one incredible flying model and super stable and smooth. I would love to just meet and shake the hand of the gentleman who made that model. He is a master all the way!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
ash 26

I do understand where you are coming from Ali I don't think it is as bad as a under 20kg SG Hawk they always remind me of a big glider
it is just nice to see that there is still hard core old style builders out there that was the main reason why I put up this post as like you say every year this guys have some thing
new to show us I also really like the F 20 they had out 2 years ago He did say to me at Jet-power that this was going o be the last one[&o] I hope not

cheers

Andy
Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

John, that makes perfect sense about the floating on landing. I was pointing out that it would not have a higher speed in flight if it was just heavier. I bet if the thrust was higher or had gyros it would present better. See you at Toledo.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
BobbyMcGee

I think the guy did a beautiful job on the jet, and did a verynice landing. To build an F-100 that size from scratch and have it looklike that,is just AMAZING. If he ever wants to sell it, I'd be happy to buy it.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
fred985

i dont know what you guys are talking about,,,that 100 out on a real scale like flight,,,i saw enough 100s at air shows years ago and thats the way they flew,,,except for the take off. the real thing was a hugh ground hog and took an unbeliveble amount of landscape to get into the air. i didnt see many big fat glider at all. sounds like souer grapes to me. how would it fly better if it was a fat over weight pig airplane??????
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

John R: I got a better Idea, Kit it... The next E-Flite Model.. ARF Please...

Absolutely Fantastic. My hats off...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: fred985

i dont know what you guys are talking about,,,that 100 out on a real scale like flight,,,i saw enough 100s at air shows years ago and thats the way they flew,,,except for the take off. the real thing was a hugh ground hog and took an unbeliveble amount of landscape to get into the air. i didnt see many big fat glider at all. sounds like souer grapes to me. how would it fly better if it was a fat over weight pig airplane??????

I tend to agree with you. It looked really scale on the loops. Take off and landing and the slow flight not so much but the rest was very scale. Nice job on building that huge jet! She is fantastic!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes a BVM F-100 look like a toy.. I love it!

unreal craftsmanship
Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

I think John Boyd would disagree with heavy better. I would keep it lighter. Would never think of putting weight into a plane just for appearances. I believe you could fly it smooth and realistic and not feel a light plane to be a liability.
John