Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum AR9210

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum AR9210

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum AR9210

What do you guys think of this receiver? I am thinking about going this route over my original plan of using a JR 1222 rx, Sahara regulators, and Wolverine switch.
Seems like a nice compact setup.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR9210

Would this suffice in my Flash or should I step it up to the AR 12200 for the added security of the fourth antenna?

Or should I stick with the original plan? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum AR9210

I use a 9210 in my large L39, it's a superb bit of kit!
Gary.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than enough for the job, I've set it up in quite a few 100 - 150cc planes and my former Eurosport, nice gear.

I'll be going with a [link=http://powerbox-systems.com/e/powerbox_systeme/powerbox_sensor/start.php]Powerbox Sensor switch[/link] and a AR12020 in my UF.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:34 AM
IFlyEm35

Are toy going with smoke? Without smoke and using crow i'm using exactly 9 channels.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Selleri

No smoke but I'm using one channel per servo, plus seperate channels for gear and brakes, still I'll have one free if the smoke madness will get to me.

Yebb, I'm spending channels like crazy because I can, lol.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi mate, are you going to get a DX18?
I've got one on order.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 PM
IFlyEm35

No. I will be using my 12X. The DX18 looks pretty cool though!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have two 33% Extras with AR 9210s. I have had one AR 9210 fail. Horizon replaced it. I also had the fun of helping Horizon/Spektrum figure out that the things are capable of 7.4 VDC and 6 VDC. The spec states 6 VDC, says nothing about 7.4 VDC andand I was seeing 7.4 volts.Horizon/Spektrum has the resulting procedure for toggling the voltage settings on the Horizon Hobby site in the bulletin on the product. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure that one out, when Dan Smith at Horizon/Spektrum took on the task and came back with the procedure for toggling the voltage. .

A few months ago, it appears that I somehow reset the Preset Failsafe to the Manufacturer's defaults when one of my AR 9210s lost the preset failsafe settings. Then, I was having trouble getting the presets to take w/o precisely timing the pressing of the bind button. I have telemetry on both planes. I asked Dan for the procedure to do a reset, which I did not get. Apparently since then they posted another procedure in the Manuals Section of the product on the web site on how to do a work-around on setting the Preset Failsafe with Telemetry. So Dan did work out the problem I was having. I just did not know about the resolution until I was browsing the site today.

So, ... At this point, I think we have worked out all the undocumented features and work-arounds except for the reset. If you can get past all that, the AR 9210s are excellent devices. I like them a lot. They handle the power you need, they have independent redundant supplies, and do not appear to be susceptible to any RF, etc. They are a bit pricy though.

The concept of 3 Rxers is good. Given what I know about antenna polarization, I can't imagine flying without three Rxers. Four may be overkill unless you have a lot of Carbon Fiber, etc. Did I mention that when the one AR 9210 failed, I still flew in the plane even though both trouble LEDs were lit and the rudder was twitchin' a bit? I guess that is what PowerSafe is all about. I suspect my next build will have another AR 9210 in it, unless I need more than 9 channels.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

One thing to bear in mind,Just in case you were thinking of it in the future, you can't use a powerbox iGyro with these units.
In contrast, you can with the cockpit SRS units.

Edited- sorry, I'm talking rubbish, it's the PB spectrum i was thinking off. It's a little clearer here.
http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/vi....php?f=13&t=18
http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/vi...php?f=13&t=440