Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba R6014 Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba R6014 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba R6014 Question

Dan,

You are correct for a single battery connection. But if dual connections are used, which is what I thought his problem was about and one them is which, i.e. the positive and negtive are swapped in the connecter you certainly will have a short... I did it myself on a home made pack were I failed to double check my orinination on the plugs... I was able to quickly negate the short by pulling the first power lead I could reach. The RX is still working strong to this day and I had to rewire the homemade A123 pack. Not one of my brighter moments.. LOL

Ed

I'm not sure if that is the problem just something I encountered..

ORIGINAL: DAN AVILLA

Just to clear that up. If you plug it in reverse nothing will happen. I just did that also. He is right about the positive needing to be in the center. Make sure you were not useing a airtronics extension. Dan
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess is that this scenario (the batteries cross connected) is what happened, but in any case, the current that caused the I^2R heating of the wires went through the power and ground bus of the receiver. Without knowing the gauge of the battery wires it is hard to guesstimate how much current went through. Those LiFe have very low internal resistance and can source a very large current though a low resistance circuit.

You could take the case off the receiver and see if the busses were damaged or any of the connector insulators were melted.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

So I figured it out. This is one of those times when you look in the mirror and say "Moron"....

So I couldn't figure out why the short would happen sometimes, but not other times I plugged the battery into the switch. As it turns out, I lost the little jumper that comes with the Matchbox. I, being the gifted low-voltage electrician that I am, made up my own. I jumped over to the wrong port, and that caused the short. It would happen some times and not others because some times, the Matchbox was plugged into the receiver! So idiotic. Fried the receiver, a couple of switches and a couple of nice batteries....

Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We all mess up. At least it did not cost you a plane..  Dan
Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that. What makes you believe the batteries are shot? Those LiFe can take a lot of abuse

And i would not throw throw rx away in any case. Salvage value if it can be repaired