Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

One Rx or Two???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

One Rx or Two???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Rx or Two???

I am putting together my Large SM Hawk and I can't make a decision on one 6014 Rx or two 6014 Rx's linked through a Powerbox with RRS.

What are you guys running in your larger jets?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: One Rx or Two???

HI, it's funny you brought this up, I just installed the second receiver in my Futura. It flew at Florida jets on one receiver, and all was fine. The plan was to install the 2 receivers when they arrived.
All I have to do now is read, read the manual, I know Gary Jefferson and Alihave experience on the Power Box setup.
Info would be appreciated.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84801.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1746850  
Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Jgwright

I have 2 planes that have similar systems you describe. They both have 2 6014 receivers, and both have Powerbox RRS. This is the cheapest twin receiver system that Powerbox does.

One plane has a simple Powerbox Sensor switch supplying the RRS. The servos are 6 JR 8411 servos plus some other low power ones for rudders and steering. Batteries are 2 A123 2300 packs.

The other plane has Orbit Powerjacks plugged into the 6014s to boost the signal and the RRS is supplied by it a Powerbox Baselog to give a higher amp supply. There are 6 JR8511 servos plus some low powered ones Batteries are 2 A123 2300 packs. This is a plane that is over the UK weight limit and is under the Large Model Association scheme.

There are other ways of achieving the same result as Powerbox make many different units.

My new plane will have 4 8411 plus other low powered servos so I will probably install a Powerbox RRS, but am not decided whether to use a sensor switch or a Gemini.

It is so easy to add extra bits and end up spending a fortune.

John
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 AM
David J Ruskin

Hi,
The two rx issue to me is a no brainer, yes do it. It reduces the risk of any rx or signal failure by a percentage way way under the cost. It's a tiny investment compared to losing a model.

David
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two receivers hands down If I could get away with putting two receivers in my Trex helicopter I would
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Joe Westrich

I have been fighting an internal argument with myself. The obvious benefits are there for two Rx's. The additional cost will be about $400 over my single setup. Yes, relatively speaking, thats a small amount compared to the airplane. But it still doesn't make it full proof.

I have also been thinking, where does it end. Realisticly, you only have one powerbox, what if it fails? You only have one Tx. We are not worried about running redundant powerboxes or redundant Tx's.

In all reality, I will likely pick up the Powerbox comp RRS, but I just need a kick in the pants to get me over the extra hundreds of dollars that don't add fun to the airplane.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Joe Westrich

Let me ask this.... Has anyone had any Powerbox RRS equiped airplanes that have actually showed a switch in Rx source in flight?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Nhalyn

Hello all.

Here comes the setup on my big Futura with Fasst Rx inside.

1 powerbox Champion RRS
1 Rx R6014HS (main receiver, main channels to powerbox + accessories on the Rx)
1 Rx R6008HS (spare receiver, only main channels to powerbox)

You don't need to have two identical Rx on the PB system.

My setup :

Channel 1 to 7 are the main flying controls, wich I want redundant : 2 channels elevator, 1 rudder, 2 aileron, 1 flap, 1 engine) + channel 8 for fail safe of RRS.

On the main Rx, channel 9 to 14 are accesories channels, wich don't need to redundant and don't need the full power of the powerbox : that is nose wheel steering, the ECU auxiliary, the gear electronic valve, the brake elctronic valve, and next the smoke system.

What should I put on the second receiver if it was a R6014HS one's ? Nothing as the Powerbox Champion is only redundant for 7 channels max...

My 2 cents...

And, no, I've never seen a switch in flight...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31923.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1747095  
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, go two recievers, one may fail & your Hawk will crash.

Better add another powerbox too, your single unit may fail & your Hawk will crash.

Go a second transmitter too, your tx may fail & your Hawk will crash.

Come to think about it, forget the Hawk, the engine may fail & your Hawk will crash.
Good reason to pick up that A-10 you always wanted!

How's your health? Better have someone close by to take control in case you keel over
and your A-10 crashes.

Where does this redundancy thing stop?

A friend smeared his Bandit over the runway last weekend after his Weatronics setup went U/S
& he's not impressed to say the least. The telemetry told him, yep, you are not mistaken the
signal did fail & your Bandit really did crash. Just goes to show you can do the best you can but the
poop will still come your way when it's your turn. - John.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Probably want get an answer here since they probably crashed and couldn't tell you. =) but yes I have with my current setup. Its worth it and I will always run two receivers.
ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

Let me ask this.... Has anyone had any Powerbox RRS equiped airplanes that have actually showed a switch in Rx source in flight?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Nhalyn

My idea with the two Rx was :
- It cost not so much $ compared to the total price of the jet but my stressless feeling during flight is priceless.
- It's not common a Rx fails, but it can lose signal because of a bad orientation. With two Rx and 4 antenae, I have a full 3 axis of antenae covered, plus one vertical in the top side of the plane, the other one under side vertical, inside the fuse. So whatever the orientation of the plane, I maximise the chances to have at least one antena good.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

And what he said
ORIGINAL: Nhalyn

My idea with the two Rx was :
- It cost not so much $ compared to the total price of the jet but my stressless feeling during flight is priceless.
- It's not common a Rx fails, but it can lose signal because of a bad orientation. With two Rx and 4 antenae, I have a full 3 axis of antenae covered, plus one vertical in the top side of the plane, the other one under side vertical, inside the fuse. So whatever the orientation of the plane, I maximise the chances to have at least one antena good.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: Nhalyn

Hello all.

Here comes the setup on my big Futura with Fasst Rx inside.

1 powerbox Champion RRS
1 Rx R6014HS (main receiver, main channels to powerbox + accessories on the Rx)
1 Rx R6008HS (spare receiver, only main channels to powerbox)

You don't need to have two identical Rx on the PB system.

My setup :

Channel 1 to 7 are the main flying controls, wich I want redundant : 2 channels elevator, 1 rudder, 2 aileron, 1 flap, 1 engine) + channel 8 for fail safe of RRS.

On the main Rx, channel 9 to 14 are accesories channels, wich don't need to redundant and don't need the full power of the powerbox : that is nose wheel steering, the ECU auxiliary, the gear electronic valve, the brake elctronic valve, and next the smoke system.

What should I put on the second receiver if it was a R6014HS one's ? Nothing as the Powerbox Champion is only redundant for 7 channels max...

My 2 cents...

And, no, I've never seen a switch in flight...
Glad you posted... I had not thought that I could use two non identical Rx's. I have an extra 6008HS in addition to my 6014. I could use it and save about $200 there...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Probably want get an answer here since they probably crashed and couldn't tell you. =) but yes I have with my current setup. Its worth it and I will always run two receivers.
ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

I think you missread the post. I was asking if anyone WITH a powerbox RRS system showed a Rx switch....meaning did their unit display that it saved the airplane by switching to the secondary Rx.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Joe Westrich

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Better add another powerbox too, your single unit may fail & your Hawk will crash.

Come to think about it, forget the Hawk, the engine may fail & your Hawk will crash.

How's your health? Better have someone close by to take control in case you keel over
and your A-10 crashes.

A friend smeared his Bandit over the runway last weekend after his Weatronics setup went U/S
& he's not impressed to say the least. The telemetry told him, yep, you are not mistaken the
signal did fail & your Bandit really did crash. Just goes to show you can do the best you can but the

See now you got me thinking about my health and now I need a copilot [&:]
Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Joe Westrich

I may seem like I am crazy scared about crashing, but I'm really not. I just like to think through things and better my chances when flying. Actually, I see it as the responsible thing to do. I hate when someone says " If you can't afford to crash it, then you can't afford to fly it". I think that is so stupid. People that can afford it, like to protect their investment.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

the first plane I had with RRS and 2x6014, crashed. No it was not a failed link issue, but it crashed any way...

I am buildind a SM Big Hawk and have 1x6014 and a PB Cockpit to put it on. I really love to have an integrated sequencer and 11 channels thru the PB.

By the way, why do you think the 6014 have 2 antennas? It already is a twin rx.

Regards

Nuno
Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Nhalyn

ORIGINAL: jetnuno

the first plane I had with RRS and 2x6014, crashed. No it was not a failed link issue, but it crashed any way...
That should be interresting if you have crashed your plane because of a failure of the powerbox RRS...
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

and your A-10 crashes.

I am with you on this - in fact I own a dozen jets, flown jets since 1997, crashed two so far. The first crash was not due to any equipment failure, but by the idiot on the sticks. The second I have absolutely no idea why - maybe it was signal. What do I use? Dual batteries, one Rx and NO Powerbox! If it's going to happen, something you can blame will cause it - mostly yourself, but we like to blame the equipment, or lack of it.

Personally, I believe too many crashes are simply due to over complication and throwing technology at it for the sake of it.

.....yeah, I know, just my 2 cents....

Cheers,

Jan

Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never had a receiver fail in 38 years of flying R/C. Have had plenty of batteries and switches fail though. I run dual batteries into dual switches into dual regulators into ONE receiver, and have done so since 1996.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Joe Westrich

Yes, that might be, but it doesn't mean there isn't risk with that setup. I agree, its far more likely that a battery, or actually a switch might fail. So to increase your chances of a safe flight you put two on board. It happens less, but Rx have failed too.

I have actually had it happen to me. Lucky for me it happen when I was rolling my jet down the runway for takeoff. My turbine shut off and when into failsafe and I had to cycle off/on my 6014 to get things working again. Now, this was one of the older 6014FS and I had the hatch off between flights which exposed the Rx to direct sunlight. It was only an 82 deg day, so I thought nothing of it. After scratching my head, not knowing what was wrong, I used my temp gauge on the Rx case and it read 136 deg F. It suprised me that the sun would make the case that hot on a mild day. I switched to the 6014HS and it never happened again.

Is an additional $400 over a singe Rx set up worth the money?? I guess if I am spending $10k+ whats another $400. I hate to error on the other side.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 AM
leopaul

I fly my Sm Viperjet 2M with Powerbox Cokpit SRS with 2 futaba 6203 Sbus receiver.

Never had any glitch using 1 6014 with Orbit power jack in the last 4 years but i decided do be a little safer on this big$$ investment.

The sBus make a nice clean installation saving all the signal wires and provide all axis antenna orientation !

Also provide sequencer for who need it...