Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gyro not working

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Gyro not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 AM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro not working

I just installed a JR G370A rate gyro on my rudder. I am using a Spektrum radio. I pluged the gain connector in AUX2 and the other connector in the rudder chanel. No matter what I do I can not get the rudder to move when I move the stick. The rudder is completely dead. Is there something I am missing? This is my first attempt at using a gyro. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gyro not working

Does the 'servo travel adjust' potentiometer on the gyro have any effect?

When you say the rudder is dead, is it just that it doesn't move or that it has no power? (e.g. if you press the rudder with your hand does the servo buzz and fight against you?).
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM
jim52519

The travel adjust pot has no effect. I just checked and the servo is holding the rudder centered,so there is a signal going to the servo but moving the rudder stick on the TX has no effect.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Does the servo move is you unplug the gyro and plug it directly into the rudder port on the RX?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM
jim52519

Yes,
The rudder servo was working fine until I installed the gyro this morning. I will unplug the gyro and double check to make sure the servo is still works.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
jim52519

I double checked. With the servo pluged directly into the RX it works fine. I keep thinking I have some setting wrong but everything looks correct to me. Are these gyros ever bad out of the box?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Couch Potato

Hi, just thinking out load...............

What is the make and model of the rudder servo you are using ?
Does it require a normal or fast frame rate ?
Does the gyro have a switch on it to select between normal/fast rate ?
If so, has it been set to match what is required by the servo ?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 AM
jim52519

I am using a JR 8611a servo, a DX7 TX and a AR7000 RX.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same gyro in my F4D and like many of us it's real new to me so I'm just throwing out a quick thought. Have you mixed the rudder to AUX 2 in your transmitter? I am also using the AUX 2 which shows as GYR7 in my mix1 menu. Then I went into the Function list, item 44 thats is identified as Gyro SENS and set up the sensitivity of the gyro. This is with my JR 12X transmitter. Your Spectrum should be somewhat similar.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

You need to disable the aux 2 switch as it is controlling the gyro right now. I sent you an email with instructions.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Square Nozzle

John, Please send me those same instructions. Thank you. If you disable the AUX2 switch how do you select the gyro sensitivity in flight?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Aux 2 will not stop the servo from working. It just controls the gain. However I do not recommend using the gyro sense screen. See the thread about my Hawk in this forum. I posted directions on proper gyro set- up this morning.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was waiting untill someone knew what they were doing. His user manual I believe explains this and far too many individuals still don't know what an operation manual is used for.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I hooked mine up today per manual and at 0% gain, the Gyro still was controlling rudder. At 20% and 30% worked accordingly, but at zero, Gyro still had a little control of servo. I want to be able to turn it off. Real off, not just down. Still puzzeled.
Scott
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gyros are worthless in my opinion. Setting them up takes hours, then you have to adjust them. What a nightmare!

Learn to fly without them. You will be better off, and actually learn to use the rudder effectively!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 AM
siclick33

Using a gyro doesn't stop you needing to use the rudder[:@]

They add corrections at a rate that are not possible for a human to do and flying skills (including the use of rudder) are still necessary. Setting it up shouldn't take very long at all if you know how to use them.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Jack Diaz

Jim: Don't risk your plane. Send that Gyro back to Horizon for replacement. It sounds as a defective one.

Scott: Don't worry about it. it won't have any effect while flying.

Mike: See my PM.

Regards
Jack
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Gyros aren't worthless and are not auto pilot like people think. They don't fly the plane for you!
Obviously, Mike Mc knows how to use his rudder as do i and countless others using gyros. (i have one airplane with a rudder Gyro).
Gyros are just used to make very fast corrections that can't be humanly done to smooth out flying or can be used on an airplane that might have some inherently bad characteristics and make them dissappear.
Remember the original bobcat on landing? The F86 tail waggle?
Stabilization is the word, not auto pilot!
Scott
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM
jim52519

Jack
I spent some time on the phone with John from Horizon. He wes very helpful and spent a lot of time with me. We came to the conclusion that I probably go a bad one and I am going to send it back for repair or replacement. Thanks for the good advice.
Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Jack Diaz

An advise regarding gyros:
Sometimes, and for different reasons, the control surface doesn't center after the gyro takes control. This may happen anytime, even if it has never occurred before.

So, my advise is:
ALWAYS verify that the control surfaces (gyro controlled) have centered, before flying.
You may think that it is something obvious to realize.... but it is not, unless you look for it.
I am beginning to make this a habit after a few undesirable experiences.

Jack

Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Ed

I am using the exact same gyro, a JR G-370 A, together with the exact same DX-7 Tx, and AR-7000 Rx on rudder in a prop driven warbird. I have found that it takes a heck of a lot of negative gain to completely turn it off, 90%; and a heck of a lot of Positive gain to make it effective. While it starts to become effective at 50% or less, I use 110 % on my particular system. All of our systems are different. The Tx, and the gain volume that the particular channel switch produces, rudder area, rudder throw, and rudder linkage are all different, and need to be compensated for. However they a cinch to set up ( even a caveman can do it ) Using my settings on my plane, the JR G-370A performs beautifully ! Gyro's on rudder are invaluable in severe cross winds, and allows you to concentrate only on elevator and aileron while landing. ( for the hot-dog know it alls out there [>:] )

Jim, you sure you got your 3 leads plugged up right ?

ed
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
jim52519

Well I must fess up,
I sent the gyro back to Horizon and they sent me a new one, but said the one I sent back worked fine for them. I plugged in the new gyro and it also didn't work for me. I said to my self, I must have something set up wrong. I feel like an idiot. I had the plug going to Aux2 plugged in upside down! For some reason the bevel did not prevent it from going in wrong. It all works fine now. I am just waiting for some good weather to test fly the setup. Thanks for all the good advice.
Jim
Old 04-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Ed

Hey Jim, glad that you found it. And since we are both using the exact same set-up, let me kinow what "gain settings" that you arrive at to make it function correctly.

Stay in touch.

ed
Old 05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

I’m trying to use a G370A gyro on the rudder of a plane and need some help. The rudder is extremely sensitive using the gyro even though the expo is set to 65%. Without the gyro physically connected, the rudder expo works. The expo has to be set above 80% to see any effect when the stick is moved. Dual rates don’t work at all. JRX9303 radio, Hitec 7955 servo, and a Spektrum AR7610 seven channel receiver. The gear switch controls the gyro gain with settings of 100% (off) and 30% (On). The travel adjust for the rudder channel are set at 150%. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Gyros are worthless in my opinion. Setting them up takes hours, then you have to adjust them. What a nightmare!

Learn to fly without them. You will be better off, and actually learn to use the rudder effectively!
If I was posting on this thread last year at this time I would have said the same as Mr400. Recently I installed a $75 Eagle Tree gaurdian in my 1/7th F16 as a test bed. I am only running rudder and ailerons in 3D mode with the heading hold turned off. I was always cautious about flying in our ever present cross wind at svf. This simple gyro has changed the way I fly and has helped me in conditions where I would have grounded myself. I have since installed this gyro in my other two jets and will have one onboard in my next project.
Vin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.