Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anticipating the New Hawk from COMP/skygate

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anticipating the New Hawk from COMP/skygate

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM
modelman992005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anticipating the New Hawk from COMP/skygate

I was wondering if I could get some help. I am one of the customers who put a 1000.00 deposit on the Skygate Hawk and am waiting for the kit to arrive soon.
I have seen my friends Tomahawk kit with a Jetcat 160 and believe it needs more power for my flying taste. My considerations are the Behotec Gold turbine or the Jet Central Mammoth. I think the Behotec is not enough and the Mammoth is too much. Love to hear your thoughts from people who have had this plane or have flown it.
Thanks ... This will be the biggest jet I have owned. I am flying a Ultra lightning now .. I am hooked on jets .
Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: Anticipating the New Hawk from COMP/skygate

The Tomahawk plane is quite a bit larger than the Skygate Hawk, which is what the Comp ARF Hawk is modeled from. I have been flying my Skygate Hawk 4 years now. Initially powered by a JetCentral Rhino, now upgraded to a P-200 with full bypass.

If you're planning to compete in WJM, the 160 size is adequate and meets weight requirements. But, if you're looking more for sport performance, of the two turbines mentioned I'd go with the Mammoth. The Hawk will never be a speed demon, it's a fairly draggy airframe. so you will need the extra power for good verticals etc. I do not believe the Mamoth could Vne the Hawk straight and level, but you would need to use throttle control coming out of a split S to avoid tail flutter.

I'm interested to see what the weight of the Comp ARF Hawk will be. A few extra lbs over the SkyGate version would actually provide a better flying jet, I think. Also, the enclosed bypass designed and produced by Marc S of GBRJET would be an excellent addition.

David S
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, any idea when the new Comp-Arf Hawk will be available?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
modelman992005

Thanks David . I know you have alot of experience . I will not be competing in any event . I just enjoy to fly these monsters. Ray Labonte sent me some pics of the plane from the factory and I think and hope that they will be even better than the old Skygate versions. My friend Graeme is building a L39 before it got sold to Comp arf and the surface detail is unreal. Hopefully they will be releasing them soon .
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I own both birds and my Tomahawk is actually lighter than my SG. My Skygates were not built light though. They have all the extras and some beefing up done to them as well as the full bypass and large fuel tank conversions.
If I didnt already have too many Hawks, I would be buying the new Hawk from Comp Arf I would be putting in Marc S full bypass, intakes and fuel cells, if Andreas isnt making his own, and I would be planning to install a P200. A P180 would fly it great, but the extra weight of bigger turbine will do this bird some good as David has suggested. Andreas Hawk might not be as light which will be a good thing.
I just flew my TH about a week ago and its wonderful with zero wind. It could stand to be 10-15 % heavier though.
Both my SG have P200 now. My TH also has P200
The early SG Hawks used to fly with a P160 back in the day, but i dont believe any of them were fully bypassed, hense the apperance of lacking power. A unbypassed P180 or P200 is perfect, but this bird really needs the bypass system in my opinion for several reasons.
David Searles Hawk flew geat with the full bypass system. Im really happy with mine as well! There is a big difference between the unbypassed vs bypassed.
The best flying Hawk I have right now is the SG loaded down and with the full bypass, intakes and large fuel cell. Im building another TH Hawk 100 now and I have adapted the Scully intakes to fit, so we shall see!
Scott
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
modelman992005

Hi Scott . Thanks for the advice. I think I will get the Mammoth . I know you have been asking Graeme to build you something. All his planes are done at my auto body shop. I will post pictures when they are done .