Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 AM
cgrcjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CGRCjets super scale A-10

ORIGINAL: STAN-CAUSSEL

Hi Chris
Here is a pic of my last A10
Congrats for your work !
Give me your adress for more pics
Stan
Thanks Stan. You do excellent work. Are you building these for people?

chris
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 AM
STAN-CAUSSEL

Hi Chris
I build only for my own pleasure !
Stan
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
cgrcjet

Stan
I hear you on that one.

chris
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
cgrcjet

Center main wing section is coming along. I will use 1/64" chart tape for panel lines on this and map out pylon outlines and few other details to machine.

chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39571.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1800646  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
cgrcjet

Hi Guys. Sorry for the long pause. Thought i would post a couple pics of some new parts. Right now i am finishing up the fuselodge. I had to reconfigure the main wing as the incidence was off by 2 degrees. The A-10 front and rear wings have negative incidence. I spent over a month researching it and trying to find the correct answer and finally was in contact with A-10 system office and got the correct answer. Now i just need to cross the fingers and hope the model will fly as well as the real A-10.

chris

Name:	Sq47653.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1825067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82877.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1825068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15918.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1825069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91368.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1825070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74294.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1825071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97485.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1825072  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM
STAN-CAUSSEL

Did you find approx the same angles as I gave you ?
Stan
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM
McsGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Nice Chris, love the detail.

Joe
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: STAN-CAUSSEL

Did you find approx the same angles as I gave you ?
Stan
Hi Stan
No, its -1. Its measured from waterline. With the measurement you gave me i believe the mibo is still quite a bit in the positive. The rear is off a bit to, by about 1 degree. I appreciate you looking into that for me.

thanks
chris
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: McsGuy

Joe
Thanks Joe. Not sure if you recieved my message, but i got the computer. Mine has not gone down again yet so i have not tried it out. Hopefully i wont have to but at least it will be there for backup.

thanks again
chris
Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Dayuumm chris, those look amazing!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
McsGuy

ORIGINAL: cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: McsGuy

Joe
Thanks Joe. Not sure if you recieved my message, but i got the computer. Mine has not gone down again yet so i have not tried it out. Hopefully i wont have to but at least it will be there for backup.

thanks again
chris
Yep, I got it, your very welcome.
Joe
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
cgrcjet

Thanks Thomas. That engine nacelle is the worst part for detailing and molding. Im glad its out of the way. many many hours into that plug. Im sure you can relate.

thanks
chris
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
cgrcjet

Thomas
I think with these bigger parts and all that little detail it may be better to use pva as release. The plug came out of the mold pretty easy but was not so easy to get the part out after layup with the Frekote. I had a small amount of delam of surface primer. I also use the vinylester which is more stable than the polyester which alot of other people use. Only other thing i can think of is that i used 2 separate coats when priming mold because i used an older batch mixed with newer batch that was a little clumpy and clogged the gel coat gun up. The separate coats probably did not adhere to each other well and cause the problem. I think i will try it once more, the right way and also heat up the mold so it will expand before demolding. I hate waiting for pva to dry.

chris
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM
invertmast

Chris,
I agree, sounds like the gel may have caused some sticking issues. I havent gotten to use the frekote yet, but will be trying it soon on the horten center section, along with resin infusion. Only downside to te resin infusion i have found so far, is the $100+ in one time use consumables for one part.

I hate waiting for the pva to dry to. Are you using the green or pink pva? The pink stuff seems to dry a bit quicker as long as the humidity is low, so i ended up putting a portable AC/heater/dehumidifier in my shop.

What size fans is this thing sized for, twin 90's?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Chris,
I agree, sounds like the gel may have caused some sticking issues. I havent gotten to use the frekote yet, but will be trying it soon on the horten center section, along with resin infusion. Only downside to te resin infusion i have found so far, is the $100+ in one time use consumables for one part.

I hate waiting for the pva to dry to. Are you using the green or pink pva? The pink stuff seems to dry a bit quicker as long as the humidity is low, so i ended up putting a portable AC/heater/dehumidifier in my shop.

Did you get the frekote mold sealer with the release? All my other parts released easy with the frekote. I think its just the nature of the part and all the detail. Some of those thousands of rivets going up the sides im sure make a harder release.

Resin infusion can be tricky and if you dont get it right then you may come out with some bad parts. One guy tried that when i was making UAV's and did not work out to well. I was not there for the whole thing and cannot remember what he did but part came out with alot of porosity. No surface coat though. Probably better as well as cheaper to just vacuum bag. Just make sure you use slow hardener for that big mold you have,lol!

I have the green pva.

My new version will be a little bigger and hopefully not a big increase in weight with the way im designing. The old version has been set up with 90's. I think the ideal fan would be 110. I want Tam to set it up with his tj110 with dynamax rotor. The 5" fans added extra weight. It can always be layed up lighter to.

chris
Old 12-02-2012, 12:44 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Can you please tell me which Frekote number are you using as there seems to be different types of Frekote release systems?
Thanks

Reuben
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 AM
invertmast

Chris,

Did you get the frekote mold sealer with the release? All my other parts released easy with the frekote. I think its just the nature of the part and all the detail. Some of those thousands of rivets going up the sides im sure make a harder release.

Resin infusion can be tricky and if you dont get it right then you may come out with some bad parts. One guy tried that when i was making UAV's and did not work out to well. I was not there for the whole thing and cannot remember what he did but part came out with alot of porosity. No surface coat though. Probably better as well as cheaper to just vacuum bag. Just make sure you use slow hardener for that big mold you have,lol!

I have the green pva.

My new version will be a little bigger and hopefully not a big increase in weight with the way im designing. The old version has been set up with 90's. I think the ideal fan would be 110. I want Tam to set it up with his tj110 with dynamax rotor. The 5'' fans added extra weight. It can always be layed up lighter to.

chris

Yea i got the mold sealer with the frekote 770NC. The rivets are probably whats giving you a fit, lots of little dots trying to lock the part in i bet.

I have done allot of research on the resin infusion and think i have a good handle on it. I bought some 2mm soric And the extruded plastic mesh flow media to mess with. I am going to try it in the horten molds before i go trying the F14 as it would be an expensive screwup on the f14.

Guess i better start saving my pennies and gathering supplies for an A10, as i am definitely going to have to get one. Will a 120mm fan fit? There are some decent priced 12 blade 120mm fans that sound really good that would be awesome in this thing.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 AM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: F86_SABRE

Hi,
Can you please tell me which Frekote number are you using as there seems to be different types of Frekote release systems?
Thanks

Reuben
Hi Reuben

Look on page 4. The numbers of the frekote are down the page a bit. I use the 700nc. The different releases are for different type molds i believe. The 700nc is for composite molds and i believe you need the right sealer to go with the specific release. It works excellent. I think it releases easier than pva.

chris

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 AM
cgrcjet

Chris,

I have the green pva.

My new version will be a little bigger and hopefully not a big increase in weight with the way im designing. The old version has been set up with 90's. I think the ideal fan would be 110. I want Tam to set it up with his tj110 with dynamax rotor. The 5'' fans added extra weight. It can always be layed up lighter to.

chris

Yea i got the mold sealer with the frekote 770NC. The rivets are probably whats giving you a fit, lots of little dots trying to lock the part in i bet.

I have done allot of research on the resin infusion and think i have a good handle on it. I bought some 2mm soric And the extruded plastic mesh flow media to mess with. I am going to try it in the horten molds before i go trying the F14 as it would be an expensive screwup on the f14.

Guess i better start saving my pennies and gathering supplies for an A10, as i am definitely going to have to get one. Will a 120mm fan fit? There are some decent priced 12 blade 120mm fans that sound really good that would be awesome in this thing.
Ofcourse 120mm will fit. You know, you could always take that vacation about now!

chris
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM
invertmast

Chris,

I have the green pva.

chris

Ofcourse 120mm will fit. You know, you could always take that vacation about now!

chris
Man i wish i could but this time of the year is the pits for us. Work is painfully slow but just consistent enough to pay the bills. Late jan. thru late feb i might be able to work something out though.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chris for the information.
Reuben
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
cgrcjet

No problem Reuben. Hope it helped.

chris
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
cgrcjet

Little update on the retracts. Unfortunately my 3d modeler was unable to finish the landing gear for me, so i have had to set some time aside to finish the cad on these. I have finished the mains and have started work on the nose. These will be cast out of a strong lightweight aluminum alloy that does not need any tempering after casting to reach its maximum durability. Im hoping to keep cost down as well as minimizing machine time doing them cast. I can machine a master of these but have chosen to send them out for rapid prototype. This will be used to make my one off molds. The functionality will be like the real a-10. I will be using dual springs for struts to get the right travels. The pictures are shown with no load on the gear. I am also going to try hydraulic ram for retracts like the real A-10. I was hoping for electric setup but it seems to be more complicated for this type setup. Lets see how she works!

chris

Name:	Om33600.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1839600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53574.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1839601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42482.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1839602  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
cgrcjet

A-10 main rims. I plan on having these machined from aluminum this time. I dont think you can get anymore scale than this. Luckily they are a very simple rim.

chris

Name:	Jg14117.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1839644  
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
McsGuy

That looks great Chris, it sounds like the scale fidelity is going to be excellent, I can't wait! I was planning on having it ready for EJets if possible but I just heard that it has been canceled. What's another good venue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.