Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Sam Augustine (rcman35) from Katy, TX?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone know Sam Augustine (rcman35) from Katy, TX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone know Sam Augustine (rcman35) from Katy, TX?

Sadly, after many successful internet-based transactions, it looks like I may have been cheated.

Back in September, I purchased an AMT-280 turbine that Sam advertised hear on RCU. I paid for part of it via Paypal and the remainder via USPS money order. I never received the turbine.

Sam was very responsive to text and phone messages during the purchase phase of the transaction, but communications were limited after he received payment and, a short time later, he completely stopped responding. Sam communicated three primary reasons why I had not received the turbine in the first weeks after he received payment; sick daughter, serious car accident and wife shipped to wrong address. I've heard nothing from him since November 8th, when he sent a picture of a smashed vehicle and requested a confirmation of my shipping address.

Paypal has already refunded to me the portion of the payment made through them. My next step is to file mail and internet fraud charges against Sam. Fortunately, I sent the USPS money order via USPS overnight mail (Sam needed quick payment), so there is a record of receipt of payment and cashing of the money order.

I'd rather not go through the shared pain this will bring both me and Sam. If anyone out there knows him, would you please consider asking Sam to do the right thing and refund the remainder of my payment?

Unfortunately, this transaction was conducted via e-mail, text and telephone conversations. I never followed-up with an offer through the RCU site, so I have no basis for an "official" complaint against Sam.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by TJK; 12-19-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy, you sent him a postal money order, so you have is home address, right? call the police.......
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well instead of doing all this mail fraud and "internet charges" which I have never heard of, you need to instead, find the county that Sam lives in, go to that county's website or search for small claims court + count name, there you'll need to get some information about the small claims process is, most states will let you file electronically, but basically you need to file a small claims case against SAM.

Sam sounds like the type that will ignore things, so more than likely he'll ignore the small claims notice against him, and then you can request the court give you a default judgement, which in this case would be easy. You won't have to go to TX, you can do it all over the phone/fax.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by trioval00
Very easy, you sent him a postal money order, so you have is home address, right? call the police.......

Police will say its a civil matter.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM
TJK

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm trying to avoid anything that might have serious, lasting consequences for Sam, with the hope that he's just going through a rough period. I'm looking for any of his friends that might see this and help him decide to do the right thing. The more serious stuff would be next.

Please e-mail me privately if you know Sam and might be willing to help.

Tom
Old 12-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Daleroger
My Feedback: (39)

He did some transactions over on runryder, which is a heli site. Perhaps someone there knows him.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I saw that engine... but I wasn't going to touch it, since he was asking about a bad sensor, and only had a total of 3 posts to his name.

FYI... that name is also on RC Groups, and flying giants. Over on Run Ryder... he only has a couple posts... but has had 61 classified transactions.

I would go with Disco's advice. Try to get a judgment on him. I know it sounds harsh... but that's what it may take. Being a nice guy doesn't always get you where you want to be.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 PM
TJK

Stay away from Sam Augustine!

After many months of phone calls and texts to Sam, the vast majority unanswered, I contacted the Katy police a couple of months ago to file a criminal complaint against Sam. The Katy police were VERY responsive to my complaint and contacted Sam, who was suddenly very motivated to send me the engine. After further delays and another prodding by the Katy police, Sam finally sent the engine, almost one year from when I paid him, and I opened the box today.

The first thing I noticed was that none of the support components were included; no ECU or fuel pump. They were part of the deal. Worse, when I unwrapped the engine, I saw that the turbine wheel was badly damaged with numerous chips out of the blades. The engine is nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

I immediately texted Sam and he responded that all the components were in the box and the engine was not damaged when he sent it to me, I sent him a photo of the damage (attached) and he had the nerve to ask me if I ran it, implying that I damaged it.

I have notified Sam, and the Katy police, that he has 30 days to send me a full refund or face criminal theft charges. I will send him the engine if/when he sends my refund.

The best part of this whole story is the complete cooperation and support of the Katy police. My hat is off to them for taking an interest in this case and assisting me in pursuing an unethical person. At least I was able to get half my money back through Paypal. I'd love to get the rest and return Sam's paperweight.

Updates to follow.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sam Augustine turbine-damaged compressor wheel.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2038398  

Last edited by TJK; 10-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:43 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry you ran into a dishonest seller, Hope you get your money back,, sux that you got cheated, and sux even more that the thief is here in TEXAS.