Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Portable air compressor review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Portable air compressor review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Portable air compressor review

It's rare to find an air pump/air compressor thats good enough to warrant a review, but I wanted to share this find from Lowe's Home Improvement

Its a Porter-Cable 18V cordless air pump. I got it on sale for $39.95 (Excluding battery)

The two main features that I really like are the pre set pressure feature. You can set the digital gauge to your desired PSI setting and the pump shuts off automatically when reached. The other is the fact that the 18V lithium-Ion battery is the same as for their line of power tools and snaps on/off the same way for easy charging. I happened to have a Porter-Cable cordless tool already, so I did not need an additional charger. If you don't have that, you will need to purchase a battery and a charger on top of the pump purchase.

The pump is super fast. I fills a retract tank in a matter of seconds. So far I have only charged the battery once, and because it fills the tank so fast, it will run forever on a charge. The LCS display is easy to read, even in bright sunlight.

The pump has two modes. It also has a high volume outlet for air mattresses, beach balls and pool toys.

[link=http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=25696]Porter Cable[/link]
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
pasture flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Portable air compressor review

Yes, It really looks like it will do the job; however, what caught my attention as I almost bought one a couple of months ago and was about to pay before I realized it didn't include a battery or charger. I checked and our local LOWES didn't have either in stock which got me also, because the inflator is useless without them. Finally if I special ordereda battery/charger the $ stickershock made me take it back and put it back on their shelf. What was your total invesrtment?, or did you already have battery/charger for other Porter Cable stuff?

I ended up buying the cheap SLIME Tire Inflater from Auto Zone that has a 12 V battery and charger with it It hasa few plastic parts that may not last very long(time will tell), but it works great and puts in 100 lbs before you know it. One thingI added though was a water filter (trap) from Dream Works because I could see some condensation going in through the clear tubing I was using. We live in a relatively humid area, so the filter seems to help.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
-JC-

I had the charger already. Battery was around $60. I thought that was pretty resonable for a power tool pack.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
TimWatson
Banned

Some people do seem to like to buy expensive stuff.

Why not this one for £7.50 or $12

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-4...7290281&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98849.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1763492  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
tuan lam
My Feedback: (1)

Good year 12V from Walmart $60 + old 14V lipo I can pump up to 3 large Robart tank within 20 second to 150 psi, we are spend from 5k to 10k$$$ jet so ground support unit have to be very good so we can enjoy all day at flying field
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27408.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1763554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67358.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1763555  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Harbor Freight...$9.00 for yellow compressor. Will pump to 200 psi and the gauge is as accurate as my mini gauges in the airplane. Has pumped hundreds of times without fail...I use two lipos for dozens of fills. I don't like to spend where I don't have to.

Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: C185Pilot

Harbor Freight...$9.00 for yellow compressor. Will pump to 200 psi and the gauge is as accurate as my mini gauges in the airplane. Has pumped hundreds of times without fail...I use two lipos for dozens of fills. I don't like to spend where I don't have to.

Mike

I agree, This is not about who has the most expensive. It just needs to work and we all have lipos hanging around
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Harbor Freight 5-in-1 portable power pack. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-...ack-96157.html

It has the compressor that has filled tires on my RV or air tanks on the jet in just seconds, a work light, a 120V 400W inverter, 2 cigarette lighter type power plugs for running chargers, and can jump start my truck. It comes with an 18 Amp Hour battery and charger.
I use it for a lot more than just the flying field.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You cant go wrong with this one. It has been the standard in the jet world for many years.
Vin...

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP-07-...7353165&sr=8-6

Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Some people do seem to like to buy expensive stuff.

Why not this one for £7.50 or $12
I'm with Tim, I bought something similar for peanuts between rounds at a scale contest when my foot pump
broke, it just had to get me through 2 flights. About 10 years later it's still going strong!

My flight box has a 12 volt battery anyway for charging & pumping so the power supply is a no brainer. - John.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
-JC-

Lot of different preferences...
I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had so many of the cheap ones go bad. Including the Harbor Freight and SlimLine versions.

One less piece of equipment to worry about.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:51 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: -JC-

Lot of different preferences...
I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had so many of the cheap ones go bad. Including the Harbor Freight and SlimLine versions.

One less piece of equipment to worry about.
Yep. A bit more $$ for peace of mind and reliability.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The great thing with the Slime inflator is that it can be very easily converted to 5000 mAh 3S LiPo when the Pb battery is dead ( usually after a year or two ).
Just open the casing, remove the Pb battery, solder a MPX plug on instead of the automotive crimp connectors.
Then cut a slot in the plastic casing so that the LiPo balance tab stays out permanently. Secure the LiPo batery with small blocks of polystyrene as it is much smaller and close the casing.

This setup lasts forever on one charge and boosts the inflator power by about 30% at mid charge.
To recharge the battery, you'd need to plug the balance tab and get the main charge line connected via the cigarette lighter plug...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

ORIGINAL: Vincent

You cant go wrong with this one. It has been the standard in the jet world for many years.
Vin...

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP-07-...7353165&sr=8-6

Your right about that. I have found it hair cheaper, but thats the one I have been using from my giant scale warbird days up until my turbine waiver. Now all I
fly is jets. That pump seems to last and last! everyone I fly with seems to have that same one! Its been reliable and lasts forever! Ironically enough my pump
is going to be in service less frequently, I am sending my lastest pair of retracts to down and locked.

Peter