Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bobcat 50 canopy tinting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bobcat 50 canopy tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobcat 50 canopy tinting

Has anyone attempted tinting the canopy on the Bobcat 50? Is the canopy material receptive to the Rit dye method?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Bobcat 50 canopy tinting

I've tinted several Bandit canopies before with RIT dye and other fabric dyes available at the grocery store. The canopy does take a while to dye (about 20-45) minutes with hot water (about 140 degrees - full hot water from the kitchen tap) depending on how dark you want it. Cut off a piece of the excess canopy and test it first to see how long it will take. Do not trim the canopy before dying as it may curl a bit in the hot water.

The hardest part of the whole process is finding a container large enough to accomodate the canopy. The method I finally adopted was to take a cardboard box long enough that the canopy can be layed flat; the box will be much wider than the canopy, but use large pieces of styrofoam or wood to make it narrower. Then use a large garbage bag to line the box. Put the canopy in the dye upside down to prevent air bubbles from being trapped at the top.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Papa51

Thanks Jim but I am asking specifically about the canopy on the Nitoplanes Bobcat 50 jet. I've sucessfully tinted canopies using Rit dye too but some canopy materials on some ARFs are not receptive to Rit dye depending on what material it is made of. I have had some stay crystal clear regardless of how hot the water, how strong you mix the dye or how long you let the canopy sit in the dye solution. Just trying to avoid going to all the trouble and mess of setting up to dye a canopy if someone else out there has tried on this particular ARF canopy and could not achieve satisfactory results. I really like the garbage bag idea.......never thought of that. I could have avoided ruining some plastic food storage containers, that's for sure.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
dbsonic

I did a Viper canopy here recently and 140 is about right. no more than 150 for sure or it will melt the canopy.
Test scrap is a good idea just to be sure.