Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

So you wanna fly jets? A beginners guide to jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

So you wanna fly jets? A beginners guide to jets

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: So you wanna fly jets? A beginners guide to jets

Glad to see this thread's not dead yet
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 PM
robert440kts
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only one thing to say, totally awesome thread!!! I'd like to see more like this one, very informative!!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:07 AM
got turbine

ORIGINAL: gbruce

Hi Jeremy

Very timely thread!!

I am in the beginning stages of looking for a jet, I am going directly to Turbine as I don't want the HASSLE of DF. As you know I am into EDF's a bit and have learned alot from it.

My biggest concern is my flying skills...I am going to fix that in 2004 though!! Thinking of a pylon glow plane with a HUGE gas tank. LOL

What about used Turbines? like ones that were never flown.

Thanks for the info and look forward to seeing you in the spring!! SNOW SUCKS.

Bruce in Calgary

Get the DV8R with a new or used p-80....you won't regret it..!!

GHP/...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
LGM Graphix

got turbine,
At our altitude up here I think a DV8R with a P80 would be pretty anemic. I think you'd want more than 17 pounds thrust for sure.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:47 AM
got turbine

I know,but it was just a suggestion to someone who will start getting into jets..Mine was going to fly with the p120 but i decided to put in to my SM F-15..."wich was lost last week" fortunately the only damage was the fuselage.....But anyways that was my plan DV8R/p120...I dont know now???

What do you think of that bird with the Olympus???/

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Ferguson

got turbine,
At our altitude up here I think a DV8R with a P80 would be pretty anemic. I think you'd want more than 17 pounds thrust for sure.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
josephair

Would this red arrow ducted fan turbine jet be good for a first timer? [link=http://www.cheetahrc.com/scale.html]red arrow[/link]
Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 PM
josephair

Can anyone give me advice on it?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
LGM Graphix

Josephair,
I really don't know, it looks like a nice enough jet but I've never heard of them at all so I really can't tell you if it would be good or not. One thing is for sure, it's small, very small, with a 5" fan I'm guessing it will be heavy and fast, I don't know how good it would be off of a grass field. I would think it's similar to the Yellow A4, but I really can't say. It seems INCREDIBLY cheap though, not saying it can't be good for cheap, but I would be cautious about buying one.

Jeremy
Old 09-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Christopher2

Hi,
I really wanna fly jets,
And I think I will take the step in the upcomming year.
I'm not going to ask what plane,.....
It will be a Kangaroo from graupner I think.
But which engine is the best to learn about turbines and is easy to use,.....
I whas thinking about a Simjet,because it cost less then the jetcat[&:]
In fack I don't own a fuel plane,only electric planes.
So is it possible to strat whit turbine,whit no "fuel background."
Or schould I first fly DF .

Any input would be great.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:56 PM
LGM Graphix

I figure since it's winter and building season for many of us, this thread might be good to have bumped back up for a bit
Old 12-06-2004, 09:07 PM
bullet65

thanks jeremy,this is a very good subject.i will save this thread even though im a couple of years away from turbines as i have only been flying for 2 year but am moveing up fast.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Bullett, I'm in about the same position you are, and subscribed to this thread a while back. Hope to start my first jet around the middle of next year.
Jeremy and the others have provided a lot of good info for those like me who are trying to learn as much as we can before taking the BIG step into turbines and I, for one, appreciate their efforts.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Jeremy..I like to refer people to this thread, but have a hard time finding it when it gets buried....
Old 12-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Turbinac

Go to this link and see what you think!

http://www.friesianflyer.co.uk/boomerang1.wmv
Old 12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
LGM Graphix

Since I saw a couple posts recently about starting in jets, I went searching to bump this thread
Old 06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Heli genius

Thanks for Jeremy!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

LGM-graphix

Thanks for the great thread. I have also started my adventure into turbines and just spent $20K on my models. Yeah, I bought two. golden west blade and SM f-18. I have been flying for a while and have flown DF f-86's as well as others. I am VERY glad that I have had this experience, as I know what my inputs do in the sky in many airplanes. Most importantly, I have learned how to trouble shoot problems. I think it NEEDS to be said:

Experience give you tools to deal with the unexpected.

Take some time and learn from your mistakes. I'm learning right now. It's great that folks post and READ these forums, cause thats how we learn. Take our adivce to heart. I will take yours. I have flown with some great flyers in my time and the flyer that has stuck the most in my mind is Ehab from tomcats. That guy will, check, recheck, and then check again. Yeah, it can get really anoying but he REALLY cares about not losing stuff. Then he checks again. [&:]

Too comment about what Graphix put on another post regarding if you can't put a match to the money your going to spend on a jet, then your not ready to fly a jet. I completely and wholeheartedly DISAGREE with this statement. I think I'm rich and wouldn't burn a $1 dollar bill. But I do agree with the what I THINK Graphix is trying to say.

Be prepared to deal with worst case scenarios.

Yeah, I've spent $10K on my SM F-18 and I haven't even finished putting it together. (I hope I'll finish soon!) I haven't even flown my first turbine yet! (See my post on "not another turbine nubie") All this being said, am I ready to come home with just a transmitter and my jet cat ecu programmer? Kinda. []. I don't want to loose my turbines. But I AM ready to learn from this whole experience.

Sorry for the rambling. But remember to learn and to continue to enjoy our wonderful hobby. How boring would life be without it?

See ya in the sky!

Raf
Old 04-07-2006, 10:37 PM
zlin50ls
My Feedback: (351)

Wow, what a lot of great info and I agree with everything mentioned in your original post. I just wanted you to know that Rich Uravitch sells a Lockheed F-80 and T-33 jet kit. These aren't much smaller than the BVM kits, (64" ws vs 69" ws on F-80 kits) but for the fraction of the price. These kits have a fiberglass fuse and built up wings and tail and are large enough to incorporate the smaller BVM retracts. These kits can use a ducted fan or have a turbine installed for power. I'm using carbon fiber strips though out the built up surfaces, since I plan on using a turbine. Since these are part of the 'gentle jet series' I think that this will be a good first jet for me. Also the whole setup including turbine will be under $5000 - not too bad considering what I've seen for jet pricing.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:25 AM
figueroa

Thanks LGM,
What a find , as a new comer to jets this thread is great for someone like me. One of my flying buddies has been flying jets for a few years . After taking a look at his new Boomerang XL I finally decided to go jet. I have been flying power for about two years and need a new challenge. I just ordered Boomerang XL and a 28 pound thrust turbine which I won't get till early June so I am on a crusade to learn as much as I can before I dive in. My friends brother owns RTI Turbines so I have a great source for equipment. I can't wait to get started. My friends Boomerang XL is just about ready for it's maiden he might even give me a little stick time before I get mine.
Thanks again for taking the time to create this thread.
Great job!!!
jef
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 AM
adarsh_007

Hi,

I've been in the passion of flying since 10 years and now want to step up to turbines. So was wondering if i should go with the Rookie or the Boomerang intro?

I want to go with the JetCat P-80

Any input guys? Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
NICLAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I´ve just sold my Harphoon(Rookie) after 150+ flights with Jetcat P-80 it´s a great plane to fly not any of the Kangaroo jump´s
that the Kangaroo does when you land to fast.A small hint is to shorten the nose-leg so the plane is at "zero" on the ground.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

What a fantastic thread! I have been flying r/c for about 13 years-mostly scale warbirds and scale unlimited air racers such as Dago Red, Voodoo, Rare Bear etc. some are very fast-150+ on a radar gun. I recently acquired my first jet-its used, but has a good flight history-professionally built. Its an MB-339 with a Wren 54 and all the scale goodies and bells and whistles. I think its perfect as a first jet. Its also a semi-auto start bird-which I think is good to know how to start an old school engine. Ive learned a few things like: why fuel WONT ramp with low voltage to the ECU! I learned what to do in case of a hot start-or a small fire. I know the start sequence and WHY a turbine runs the way they do. Theres alot of other things but I cant think of them all now-

For me I have always followed a few simple rules. The most important is NEVER try to put a plane in the air if you arent sure if it is safe to be there. With turbines-this is amplified immensely. I also NEVER rush things. I never mess with something if i dont know what the %$LL Im doing! And I never leave something the way it is if I feel its been half arsed. These are just some of the things I follow in the r/c hobby, and I apply with my jet.

Lastly, I found and hooked up with a knowledgable CD near my home and got to know him BEFORE I made my purchase. Its important to find folks with more knowledge than ourselves. It pays off in spades. I wanted to get signed off at Kentucky jets this weekend, but last Sunday I found a couple of things I want to change out on my jet. It will be ready when its ready. Im in no hurry!!!!!! Getting signed off will happen ONLY with a safe airplane thats ready to go 1st.

I found many things that are so true with this thread. I know lotsa newbies are afraid to ask questions and such for fear of being blasted by those who are more experienced. I think this will help lots of new people to the realm of jets. Myself included........
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 AM
adarsh_007

Hi Everybody,

Thanks NICLAS!!!!! I got myself a Rookie. This is a great looking airplane. With a P-80 and With canards and thrust vectoring i'm sure she'll be a bomb in the sky!

I live in Bangalore, India and we do not have any LHS here where you can go and buy it off the shelf, the other option was to get it shipped and the cost of shipping from HK to India for that huge box was around $600[>:] Luckily my friend Sam was travelling and he took all the pain in hand carrying the Rookie for Bangkok to India. I'm greatful to my friend Sam. Thanks Sam.

Heres few pics of my Roookie (Parrto Scheme)

Here's how sam brought it to India ( At Banglore Airport Arrivals)

Here's how it'll be packed in the box

And This how it'll look when assembled

Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Jeremy,, thanks for your post. I didn't get a chance to read all of it yet as my time is limited.. I do have a question for you.. I bought a Tamjets F16. It is sitting at home waiting for me to get done with my overseas duty. I was home for 3 months when I got the jet and really didn't have the time to start it. My biggest question is what do you think would be the best radio setup for this jet. I plan on putting a P70 in it. Do you have to have a 10 channel radio to fly this thing? Can I fly it with a FM system? I'm really not into all the new radios coming out these days so your suggestions would be really appreciated. I've been flying for over 25 years but this is my first jet..Thanks...Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.