Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

You know, I would like to know why JR enjoys almost a cult following in RC jets, specially TURBINE jets. This is very differnt from giant scale Aerobatic / 3d planes where hitec servos seem to the choice for many and JR/Futaba seem to dominiate in the transmittier area.

However in JETS, almost exclusively people use JR radios and JR servos. Whats up with this?

Nothing against the 8711/8911, they are nice but I prefer 7955TG / 7950TG

For radios my Aurora 9 does fine. But I'm *****g out all available channels on even the simplest of jets... 18mz might be in the future...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Whats up with the JR obsession in RC Jets?

Uh oh (pulls out the box of popcorn and grabs the lounge chair)
Lol just kidding lots more people fly futaba in turbines than you think. I love my 14mz

Most people will say jr servos center better and just feel better, its all personal preference.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Four or five years ago, the JR 10X had more channels that anybody else and for that reason (mainly), I think, ruled the jet community. Even back then though, some guys, like myself, flew Futaba 8U's and 9C's on jets. Now that the Futaba 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, and 18MZ are available (along with Futaba's simpler and just as (more?) reliable FASST RF link ) Futaba is gaining ground in the jet community.

As far as servos go, even as a Futaba guy, I find the JR servos generally to offer better price/performance. It was really hard to beat the price/performance point of the JR 8611. Now with the 8711, the cost has gone up. There is still the 8411, but its not the same torque as the 8611 was. Its going to be awhile until I need new servos for a jet, but when I do, I'll look at Futaba again. On the other hand, its still easier to find JR servos at discounted prices...

I had HiTech servos in a Reaction I bought and they worked fine, but I have had some HiTech servo failures and heard of many more, and I can't wrap my head around HiTech servos in a jet. Its a personal thing I guess, but there are many jet guys with that same feeling...

Bob
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any issues. I use my JR 12X neck strap to hold up my Futaba 18mz when I fly my jets. Both work as advertised. No seriously....I have used both products for over thirty years and would not hesitate to recommned either one. True, in the early days of turbine flying the JR had some nicer / easier program features but Futaba has rapidly caught up in North America with features we jet guys like ( lots of channels, easier programming, tx battery life ). I have been using a 12x since they came out but found myself running out of channels ( big surprise to me ! ) and programming abilities, so I looked at the 18 mz. It works for me perfectly. I got to play with the new Spectrum 18 this weekend. Nice radio it would work too.

Happy with both
Dean W.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I use and love HiTec servos. Not a single failure in 10 years.
I like to have the ability of programing my servos.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

JR seems to have a better selection of servos as far as special needs go, ie: the ability to fit inside a thin wing.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Bob has hit the nail on the head....

JR offered more channels (11) than Futaba (9) back when we were on 72mhz and the jet community needed as many channels as we could get. This was the reason many gravitated to JR in those days. JR also offered better specialty servo selection for jet applications. I think you will find the JR domination is beginning to fade away as the offerings became competitive from Futaba and other brands.....
Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
DiscoWings

Well here are something that are annoying:

Most arfs are pratically designed to ONLY run JR hardware, e.g. CARF, BVM & Skymaster there servo cut-outs pre-drilled holes fit my 8711's just fine but are too big for the 7955TGS or BLS157 futabas. [] Similiarly I looked at skymaster, once again designed to fit JR servos.

I haven't seen fly eagle or other manufacturers but I have a feeling its heavily leaning towards JR hardware. If times are changing, shouldn't kits change too?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I just got done replacing all the hitech servos in my F22 with all JRs. I fly Futaba so not a JR fan boy. The hitecs did not center as well. These planes are too expensive to save a dime on a crappy servo.

Also read this threa on flying giants that discuss the hitech servos and all the planes that ate the ground due to them.
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ht=hitech+7955

I also used thier radio system and it was subar to say the least like thier servos.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
DiscoWings

Thats the 7950 servo and it has some issues, the 7955TG on the other hand is the most used servo in giant scale. I can't say about the centering because I haven't had issues, but I can say this I'll go through 3 sets of gears on my JR servos before I need to replace the titanium gears.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM
DiscoWings

That being said, a JET doesn't have near the vibration of a piston engine, so perhaps this increases the life of the gear train on JR servos. HRM....
Old 06-05-2012, 02:34 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The gear train has been a problem with my 8711s when they start the fluttering.

On the centering when flying a jet at 180mph or more you really need to have good centering. Flying a flippyfloppy plane you need the torque not perfect centering.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO Hitech products were dsigned for the average "Joe" modeler. I speak from a position of a buyer on the commercial end of the market. The company I worked for manufactured aerial targets for the military and used nothing but Futaba servos untill the cost per unit increased than we switched to Hitech. I purchased thousands of their 1/4 scale servos and never experienced an in-flight failure. Would I use them on a jet doing 180mph no and the reaon being is they are not designed to take such air loads. Purchased only high end JR servos.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Well here are something that are annoying:

Most arfs are pratically designed to ONLY run JR hardware, e.g. CARF, BVM & Skymaster there servo cut-outs pre-drilled holes fit my 8711's just fine but are too big for the 7955TGS or BLS157 futabas. [] Similiarly I looked at skymaster, once again designed to fit JR servos.

I haven't seen fly eagle or other manufacturers but I have a feeling its heavily leaning towards JR hardware. If times are changing, shouldn't kits change too?

First off, you'll need to compare servo applications...... A JR 8711 may fit nicely in the servo cut-out, but you really can't complain about the Futaba servo not fitting in, the Futaba BLS157 is designed more for the high torque/speed of a heli's swashplate.

The BLS157 has nearly 200 more oz. or torque than the JR8711 and it is designed to feed off of a 6 or 7.4 volt battery.

I can't give my opinion on HiTec servos as I don't use them.

BTW, I'm a Futaba 14MZ user with JR servos in my jets. [8D]
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Plus 2 to the T. I used 8U's supers for years and loved that rock solid TX. But just not enough Ch even for a Shock jet.

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Four or five years ago, the JR 10X had more channels that anybody else and for that reason (mainly), I think, ruled the jet community. Even back then though, some guys, like myself, flew Futaba 8U's and 9C's on jets. Now that the Futaba 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, and 18MZ are available (along with Futaba's simpler and just as (more?) reliable FASST RF link ) Futaba is gaining ground in the jet community.

As far as servos go, even as a Futaba guy, I find the JR servos generally to offer better price/performance. It was really hard to beat the price/performance point of the JR 8611. Now with the 8711, the cost has gone up. There is still the 8411, but its not the same torque as the 8611 was. Its going to be awhile until I need new servos for a jet, but when I do, I'll look at Futaba again. On the other hand, its still easier to find JR servos at discounted prices...

I had HiTech servos in a Reaction I bought and they worked fine, but I have had some HiTech servo failures and heard of many more, and I can't wrap my head around HiTech servos in a jet. Its a personal thing I guess, but there are many jet guys with that same feeling...

Bob
Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM
RCJetBazz

Todd, you should keep your mouth shut, you're a vendor!
couldn't resist, LOL

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Bob has hit the nail on the head....

JR offered more channels (11) than Futaba (9) back when we were on 72mhz and the jet community needed as many channels as we could get. This was the reason many gravitated to JR in those days. JR also offered better specialty servo selection for jet applications. I think you will find the JR domination is beginning to fade away as the offerings became competitive from Futaba and other brands.....
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

JR,,,, Simply the BEST!!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd

The gear train has been a problem with my 8711s when they start the fluttering.

On the centering when flying a jet at 180mph or more you really need to have good centering. Flying a flippyfloppy plane you need the torque not perfect centering.
I disagree. On aerobatic airplanes you need both. Centering and torque are both equally important when flying high-performance airplane. Jets require both as well. The 'fluttering' as you call it often is a problem with the linkage not the servo. Jets have historically NOT been setup very well from a mechanical advantage, thus making the tight deadband issue more obvious and prevalent.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:03 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Doug. Can't the jitteriness also be from the much bigger surfaces e. i as you said the linkages?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I think the JR thingis mostly in the USA. I may be wrong, but I think Futaba is more popular in Europe.

I fly futaba.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

JR was mostly popular with the jet crowd because most of the specialty turbine jet related dealers were only able to get dealerships set up with Horizon. The pushed and sold the product on which they could make $$. In turn Horizon/JR used some of these in their marketing as well. (bidirectional backscratching, lol ) Great Planes who distributes Futaba made it a lot harder to set up a dealership. If one did not have an acceptable hobby shop storefront, they were not able to sell Futaba by dealing with Great Planes .. Most turbine jet kit manufacturers therefore pushed the JR product, as did the many online specialty accessory shops. For the most part, neither was set up as a walk in storefront. When some manufacturers push a specific brand, many sheep follow and call it gold ..

I have flown most brands and do find they all have their strong and weak points. JR does make great servos, and like someone else here said, the pricing is good too... For the most part, brand vs brand is going to be an ongoing tug of war in any aspect of the hobby.

~V~
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I started flying Futaba, then moved to JR after 3 Futaba radio failures (in which Futaba admitted transmitter failures). I have never had a radio failure with JR save for one lockout that I to this day think was caused by a noisy fuel pump, fortunately it came back in time to save the jet.
The only time I have ever had servo's fail was when they were Hitec servo's. We did some checks on Hitec servo's when a local Hitec distributor was trying to get me to switch and found the centering on the best Hitecs was crap compared to the JR digitals.
Today, Futaba is doing great, JR is doing great, I still don't trust Hitec. I am a fan of JR and will continue to use them, but even I have to admit, with the pricing on the new Futaba stuff (not counting the ridiculous 18MZ) it's hard to not think about switching again.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Also, JR established a far more high-profile Field Rep program with a lot of high-profile guys flying their stuff. People don't like to hear this, but deep down we all know that there's a lot of 'monkey see, monkey do' in this facet of the hobby, and brands matter. Whether it be a kid at school having the 'right' shoes on or a jet having the 'right' servos, it's practically a science that people study and put to use in marketing (if they're smart).

I fly both Futaba (more channels, more capabilities, WAY more peace-of-mind when I fly) and JR (way more stuff available at the LHS and WAY easier programming), but I don't own or use any Futaba servos. I've gotten used to (and trust) the JR digitals, so that's what I use. I LOVE Hitec analog servos (especially the minis and micros), but haven't had very good luck with the standard sized digitals. Also, when I look at buying used airplanes, the term "All JR digitals" keeps me reading the ad whereas "All Hitec digitals servos" generally loses my interest in the plane right there.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

This is funny.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
DiscoWings

How is the gear wear on JETS on the JR Servos, I would think they would be more suspect-able to wear then the hardened steel gears on futaba, or the titanium gears on the hitec, and this is what would cause them to jitter.

Lastly has anyone tried using a programming to set a VERY low deadband on the newer generation hitec's also the higher resolution? I'm curious and want to test my 7955tgs against the JR 8711 in centering, also test my BLS157's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.