Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A beginners guide to jets, revised

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A beginners guide to jets, revised

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A beginners guide to jets, revised

RC Turbine Checklist updated to reflect RX off first, then TX for safety, as recommended by Sparhawk. Thanks for the feedback!

click on the attachment for the full checklist, the pic below is only a clip to show the change...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45088.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1862988  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx71932.pdf (260.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 AM
FlyinTiger

No takers on the expanded edition of the checklist?

What do you all do for "Spring" proficiency flights to shake the dust off and get back to flying turbines? Any exercises you all do on the ground or in the air in the air to get proficient?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Albert,
I generally start myearly seasonR/Cflying with a HabuEDF or high performance propjet, like a Jett 50 powered F-20. In both cases I program a "throttle slow" to mimic the spoolup/down time of a typical turbine. I try to fly a set pattern of Figure 8s, loops, rolls and several landing approacheswhile simulating the use of flaps and retracts during these fam hops. Afterbuilding some confidence, I'll move to a simple turbine jet like a boomerang for more of the same. With several proficiency sessions logged, I'll graduate toa scale Skymaster Gripen which is a pretty high workload jet and sometimes difficult to see with itscamo paint scheme. This routine works for me although other jet pilots mayjump rightinto theirregular jets immediately. I personally have not found a flight sim to be helpful although others reply onone during the off season. To each his/or her own. Hope this helps.

Art ARRO
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
FlyinTiger

Sounds like a good progression...I'm also fond of the "thottle slow" function and use it to simulate turbine lag. Works pretty well I think. Go-around (aborted landing) practice!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I myself plan on starting my second year flying jets with some reaquaintance flights with landings on a long grass runway.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 AM
FlyinTiger

A long grass runway would be ideal...easy on tires too! Good luck with the new jets and the new season Joe!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM
FlyinTiger

Enough about proficiency and checklists...on to essential items that even the minimalist jet jockey will need to fill, pressurize and safely snuff on the flightline.

An avid RC pilot most likely has quite a few tools and support equipment already. To successfully get out the the flying field and be self sufficient, what "field equipment" is essential? What are "nice to haves?"

I've done a fair bit of research on my own by going to jet events and watching what "field equipment" worked well and was simple. I came up with these items as "necessary:"

Powered fuel pump/jug to fill those massive tanks with Jet-A/Kero/Diesel. Hand crank just didn't cut it.

Fire extinguisher. Most had CO2, some had Halon and other Halotron 1. Every flight box had a fire extinguisher that had a "clean agent" that could be ingested by the turbine, put out a fire, and not require cleaning or service.

Air pump. Electric retracts and brakes are catching on now, but even a year ago they were the exception. Still, most people seem to be using air systems, so they must be pressurized occasionally...before the first flight of the day and periodically to keep them functional. The capacity and required pressure of your system will determine what kind of compressor you will need. Large jets with big air tanks and higher pressure requirements will require more than your roadside assistance 12V compressor, while this tends to be a common solution among mid-to-small sized jet owners.

Fuel jug for mixing/storage. Since these turbines burn fuel at a rate unparalleled by any other RC aircraft, it is a really good idea to have a second 5 gallon jug in which to mix your fuel and store it, while refilling your primary pump container once in a while.

Lubes for brake O-rings, air system lube/conditioner. Keeps everything conditioned for a long, leak-free life.

Nice-to-haves:

Safety Wire Pliers and wire. Some method is required to keep things in place like air and fuel lines. There are several options, but safety wire is commonly used, very strong and has a much longer life expectancy than plastic zip ties.

Electric blower to help with turbine cool down. Extends starter motor life by giving it some help in turning the turbine and forces more cooling air into the intake, speeding up the cooling process.

Wagon. Pulling all the support gear out and getting it to the flightline can be done without a large garden wagon, but some people had them and could bring everything out at once, sometimes even with a jet on top of a built in rack.

Water filter funnel. Helps keep water out of the Kero/Diesel from the pump.

Water Trap for Air System. Keeping moisture out of the retract/brake air system prolongs the life of the system and keeps things from sticking.

I'm curious about your opinion/experience with what is must have equipment and what is "nice to have."

Name:	Nk27996.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1864797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51140.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1864798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62944.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1864799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51510.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1864800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62261.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1864801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac62848.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1864802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95869.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1864803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99016.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1864804  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33230.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1864805  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM
FlyinTiger

For those who are striving to convince their club officers or Board of Directors that turbine flying can be done safely, it might be a good idea to follow the recommendation of JPO and BVM with a good water fire fighting set up like the one below.

Water pump for fire fighting at flying fields:
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...efighting+Pump

"Drench" water additive for fire fire fighting:
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...itive&itemnum=

Biggest concern of many clubs is the fire resulting from a crash. Being able to wet the area surrounding the turbine model after a crash can significantly reduce the amount of fire damage, even in grass or dry areas. If a fire resulting from a battery or fuel cell cannot be put out with a fire extinguisher directly, wetting the area surrounding the burning wreckage will prevent it from spreading, especially in lower wind situations.

I'm not selling these, nor do I have stock in the company...just trying to increase awareness for a safe, fun flying season and maybe even see a few "new" turbine friendly clubs join the scene. [8D]

Name:	Rp42602.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1867168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14921.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1867169