Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:38 PM
FireFighterFSFD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked Malcolm to send all the parts for air. I think it is my best option at this point.

Last edited by FireFighterFSFD; 04-04-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:29 AM
LarsHoi

I have the electric. It workes very fine.
I just set the switch on the transmitter for Down position (-100) and pushed the Bottom on the control to the retracts. And it have been worked fine...
Very simple.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:57 AM
FireFighterFSFD

I am not saying they are not nice. I would not have bought them if I didn't think they were a great idea. I just can't get them to work with my set up. I just want to know what I am doing wrong or get a set of air retracts and move on. The craftsmanship and design look very very nice ok them.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:36 PM
FireFighterFSFD

Default Jose is the man!!

Electric Retracts update!
They work!! Ok Jose and I had a face time video diagnosis on our phones today and have found the solution. I am running Futaba 9157 servos on everything on a 7.4 volt lipo regulated down to 6 volts. The best I could do to get them to work, is make them move ~1" and then return on their own to the down and full extended position. We went through everything again together to ensure I had not over looked anything. Jose contacted his JL source in china and he said they would operate between 4.8 volts and 9 volts. So 6 should be ok right? Wrong. After all other efforts Jose says shoot the volts to it and lets go straight lipo to them and see what happens. Malcolm had suggested this at one time and Jose and I had discussed this the other day, but in fear of burning them up from over voltage we decided to wait on jet legend to respond. Jose's response from them told us we should be ok for it so that's what we did. At 7.7 volts they came alive and worked with no problems. I will test amperage usage, voltage, and mah usage per cycl,e and post my results here.

That being said I want to compliment global jet club. Jose not only has went above and beyond to ensure I have been a happy customer in my purchase of the turbine through him, but also has went to great efforts in helping to resolve my issue with the retracts I did not purchase through him. For a company/Jose to call up a customer on a Sunday afternoon with suggestions and relaying what information he has recently received is almost unheard of, and to be honest, completely awesome. Jose will have my business when the opportunity exist. That and a beverage of choice the next time I see him. .
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm excited that you figured it out with Jose's help. I don't think he ever clocks in or out when it comes to anything about jet. Just make sure you have proper wear when he is doing face time with you during odd hours.

I was flying today at our location field today, we have more jets at the field than prop planes! I was just amazed by jet pilots' enthusiasm to help each other out at the field. It just makes us a closer team than other RC communities.

Mike
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

Josh, I am so pleased that you found the way forward with the E retracts, I am not gonna blow my own trumpet here , but I did tell you at the first conversation of my experience with E retracts and the necessary voltage to make them work, with my Behotec E's I needed 11.1 volts to wake them up and once you realise that these units need the power they work fine,,, I am real pleased that you will be able to fly now ...Joe Noll... hold your breath!!!!!.......Malcolm

Malcolm Kay Models
Jet Legend
Jetcat
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
jetster81

Just about to get going on my build?/ fit up. And would like to thank all those that have taken the time to add comments and tips re the Viper, it will surely make my life easier and help me to get it right first time. This is what a build log is about, Cheers to all concerned.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 AM
zelayaroberto

Hello friends,

I´m new at jets and just recently got this great JL Viper Jet (all wired version), going with a Kingtech 100G.

I might be repetitive but a read a lot of recommendations for cg position that I don't want to mess up (all about from factory position to 49mm behind centre of wing tube).

Should i go 30mm or 35 or 40mm??

Thank you.

Roberto
Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Roberto
The JL Viper is very forgiving of CG position and 30-35mm behind centre of wing tube (dry) is ideal giving good stability and little elevator trim for level flight.
I've flown all of mine with the CG as far back as 50mm at times and they behaved even with the takes empty , but as "it made no difference" I've erred on the safe side and stay with 35mm.
You have a good combination there with the Viper and 100 so look forward to a fun summer with them and don't forget to post a pic when it done.
Regards Mark V

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 04-18-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: poor spelling!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 AM
zelayaroberto

Hi Mark, thank you so much. I´m very much looking forward to fly this jet, it should be fun. I will post some pics.

Cheers.

Roberto
Old 04-18-2014, 02:16 AM
fredo

I'm getting the same combo��. I have to wait for another 2 weeks....seems like forever.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 AM
zelayaroberto

Here some ver bad pics .
Almost there......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140418_043900.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1987885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140418_043908.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	1987886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140418_043926.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	1987887  
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

35 as Mark says.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 AM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

I have the GJC JL Viper with K-100. It's a good combination....no its a great combination! Ours saw quite a few flights at Florida Jets last month. For us its been predictable and stable at the recommended cg.

From what I can tell, my Viper has the oil filled shocks and solid tires. I really like this combination as it is stable on the ground.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 AM
mtnflyer14

Roberto,
First, congratulations on your new Viperjet - the K-100G should be perfect. I have the K-80 in mine. A couple suggestions: Remove the zip ties on the fuel fittings and replace with safety wire - I was told that over time the zip ties tend to cut into the tygon. Not sure why zip ties would do any more damage than safety wire, but that is what I was told. Second, it looks like yours is plumbed like mine was - in parallel, meaning that both tanks drain at the same time. I got uneven 'emptying' from the two tanks, so I replumbed them in series so that one tank drains completely, then the second. For what it's worth.
Regards,
Gus
Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 AM
zelayaroberto

Originally Posted by mtnflyer14
Roberto,
First, congratulations on your new Viperjet - the K-100G should be perfect. I have the K-80 in mine. A couple suggestions: Remove the zip ties on the fuel fittings and replace with safety wire - I was told that over time the zip ties tend to cut into the tygon. Not sure why zip ties would do any more damage than safety wire, but that is what I was told. Second, it looks like yours is plumbed like mine was - in parallel, meaning that both tanks drain at the same time. I got uneven 'emptying' from the two tanks, so I replumbed them in series so that one tank drains completely, then the second. For what it's worth.
Regards,
Gus
Thank you so much Gus, I will follow your recommendations!
I am having a blast setting up this jet, I have a very very experienced jet modeller/pilot friend who is going to review all my work after I´m done, thank God I´m not alone on this and even more thankful to have the help from all of you here in RCU.
Any question I will ask you.

Roberto
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM
FireFighterFSFD

Roberto, congrats on the jet. What set up are you going to run. Servos, retracts, power etc. I noticed you went with the kingtec turbine.
I had built one recently and if you need any help I will be more than happy to offer suggestions. I will also post some pics of mine sometime soon.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM
zelayaroberto

Thank you Firefighter. This is my setup:

1. Receiver: JR1221X
2. Batts for receiver: 2 life 6.6 directly to the receiver.
3. ECU power: 9.9 life
4. Servos: Savox 222 oz

no power box or smart-fly power distribution.

I plan to balance with batteries only.......if I could.

Roberto

Last edited by zelayaroberto; 04-18-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM
zelayaroberto

Main wheels are locked.
Any ideas?
Roberto
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zelayaroberto
Main wheels are locked.
Any ideas?
Roberto
Roberto,
i just got my GJC Viper jet flying a couple of weeks ago, mine is the same Vodafone scheme. What do you mean when you say "main wheels locked?" Are the wheels locked on the axels, or is the gear locked in the up or down position?
Paul
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by M3Baker
Roberto,
i just got my GJC Viper jet flying a couple of weeks ago, mine is the same Vodafone scheme. What do you mean when you say "main wheels locked?" Are the wheels locked on the axels, or is the gear locked in the up or down position?
Paul
Roberto,
A couple of more things:
My CG is 35mm and the jet is perfect.
I too have a JR set up and I would be happy to share all of my TX settings. My jet flys perfectly hands off.
I also have a cortex gyro and it really helps.
Jose from Global built and maidened my jet and I have asked him to look in on this thread in case you need additional help. He is very familiar with this product.
Just let me know,
Paul
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
zelayaroberto

Roberto,
Paul
Paul, I solved the problem.
When the air system was pressurized for some reason the breaks were locked, now they are fine.
I was in the dark trying to program the jl brakes on this jet (mine is the all-wired version).
At the beginning I couldn't mix the brakes channel (AUX 4) with down elevator, now I can but the brakes only works in a "pulsating" mode, I don't know if that is the only way that they are supposed to work.
What I'm missing is to make the brakes work only when the gear is down.
My radio is a Spektrum dx18 with a JR 12 channel.
Gear is in one channel, brakes in a separate one.

Roberto
Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 PM
zelayaroberto

Roberto,
A couple of more things:
My CG is 35mm and the jet is perfect.
I too have a JR set up and I would be happy to share all of my TX settings. My jet flys perfectly hands off.
I also have a cortex gyro and it really helps.
Jose from Global built and maidened my jet and I have asked him to look in on this thread in case you need additional help. He is very familiar with this product.
Just let me know,
Paul
Paul, please, I will love to have a look at your radio settings!
If you have a spektrum radio maybe you could share with me the file.
I plan to maiden next Saturday.
Roberto
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM
M3Baker

I am flying with a 12X and the settings may vary some between JR and Spektrum.
Here are my D/R and expo settings:
Aile
pos 0 100% and 40% expo
pos 1 80% and 35% expo
pos 2 60% and 30% exp
Elev
pos 0 100% and 40% expo
pos 1 80% and 35% expo
pos 2 60% and 30% expo
Rudd
pos 0 100% and 45 % expo
pos 1 80% and 35% expo
pos 2 60% and 30% expo

the brakes are going into anti lock if they are pulsing. You should have ability to move them through a travel range with the pulsing happening at full braking. Mine are on a slider and I am unfamiliar with mating them to the down elevator channel.

With the setup above, I am pretty much flying all of the time in high rates. I only adjust the gyro gain on take offs and landings. Full gyro on take offs and landings and mid gain during flight.

Perhaps Jose will see this and chime in with some helpful information for you.

My my jet was the ARF pro wired version too, so I am using the same electronics as you are.

One last question, did you buy this jet at Fla Jets? I helped out in the global Jet tent and we sold a couple there. Just curious.
Paul
Old 04-20-2014, 05:09 PM
zelayaroberto

Paul,
Thank you for sharing your settings, it will help me a lot.
I live in El Salvador and bought the viper from a hobby shop in Guatemala, RC Americas, the owner, Juan Pablo Castillo was at Florida Jets but I don't know if he bought the jet in there.
The boxes have a code starting GJC and a number, so I guess that's for Global Jet Company.
He is an extremely talented rc pilot and a better person.
Cheers,

Roberto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.