Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 AM
zelayaroberto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

1. The retracts are those who came already installed with the jet sold my jetlegend, it is not aftermarket, nevertheless they are made by spark I beleive since it says spark on the control unit.
2. Instruction book? I wish! No instructions at all.
3. Here is a pic of the retracts from the jetlegend web.

The control unit comes with three inputs and two outputs (one for brakes and the other for retracts). A manual push button so you can actuate the retracts manually (this function Works ok). it has three led lights that I dont have a clue what those are for.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ELG.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2037063  
Old 10-04-2014, 12:47 PM
zelayaroberto

Problem solved!

The ECU of the retracts/brakes won't work on anything less than 7.4v

I changed from 6.6 life to 7.4 Lion and everything is working perfectly now.

Roberto
Old 10-27-2014, 02:45 AM
cosmo21

I know it's been covered in here somewhere, but.
Can anyone tell me what the capacity of the smoke tank/tanks are. They may go well in another project I'm doing.

BTW this jet rocks, almost perfect.

Matt
Old 10-27-2014, 03:20 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Matt

JetLegends epoxy glass smoke tanks for the Viper are 950ml each.

Regards Mark

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 11-07-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Wrong Font :-)
Old 10-28-2014, 02:57 PM
outlaw29

Just ordered a Viper ARF Pro wired. Should be here Friday. Been looking through this thread for the weight of the T12 turbine and can't find it. Does anybody have that info?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Hi
The Spark T12 itself weighs 1558g inc mount and a Fod guard, add to that the pump with its lead which is a further 88g.
That's all there is, no ecu or valves as they are built into the turbine its self so dead easy to swap from airframe to airframe if you whish.
Hope that's helpful, enjoy your new Viper when it arrives.

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 10-29-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:07 AM
outlaw29

Thanks Mark. The reason I ask is I was considering a k140 which is just about the Same weight as a t12. I know this is overkill in terms of thrust (will require throttle managment) but wanted to ensure it was not to heavy. I am more concerned about landing weight. I will be flying off grass with smoke. There is a jl viper at our field running the JC 90 rxi with smoke and fly's great but feels a little underpowerded and eats up most of the field to rotate. Additionally I have a k80 which I think is marginal for this air frame and would rather purchase a larger turbine which can eventually be used in a larger rang of air frames. Any thought on this?

Russ.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Weight will not be an issue with a K140, this wing loading on this is pretty light. You will need more nose wieght though, get everything as far up front as possible.

I would suggest if takeoff permformance is your goal to skip the smoke system and instead use the smoke tanks as fuel tanks, and only use one of the main tanks up front. This will get the CG back on take off and help you rotate quicker on grass. I get off in 300 feet but could horse it off sooner if I needed to. A k100 would suffice in this case for grass ops.

If you have to have smoke then more power is the way to go. I think it would handle full throttle of the K140 straight and level. This is a well built jet. Would be fun! Just ensure hatches are buckeled down good, the intakes on this are big and it wants to blow the hatches off on full speed.

Only issue is on my tank setup, with a K100 I can only fly 5 mins with very little fuel to spare on landing. If I fly "hot" I better land at 4 mins. I have about as much fuel as the two main tanks it comes with, slightly less. So take that into account with a k140, it will be less efficient running at same power levels as K100.

I cand say anything about the t12 but I have kingtechs and they like fuel Not a complaint, just a fact.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:44 AM
Jim Cattanach

Been meaning to get the JL Viper for some time, finally ordered one from Jeff today. It will be in the Ferrari scheme, which should stand out against our blue sky.
It will be fitted with a VT80 I have spare.
Just got to wait now & then deal with our dreaded customs officials when it arrives.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 AM
zelayaroberto

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
Been meaning to get the JL Viper for some time, finally ordered one from Jeff today. It will be in the Ferrari scheme, which should stand out against our blue sky.
Just got to wait now & then deal with our dreaded customs officials when it arrives.
Jim, I have the same scheme and let me tell you that it stands very Well against all Kind of skies. This a pic of mine.

Roberto

Name:	vipermaiden.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2043660  
Old 10-31-2014, 05:06 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
Nice scheme Jim. The Viperjet I acquired second hand had previously been powered by a VT80. Plenty of power, I have mine now powered by an ancient Simjet of approx 8 KG thrust. Most of the flying is done at 1/2 throttle and as a result uses very little fuel. So far the longest flown is for 8 minutes on the standard tanks (3L) but are still landing with one tank 3/4 full! You will really enjoy this jet. We have flown off both tarmac and grass.

John
Old 10-31-2014, 05:21 AM
Jim Cattanach

Thanks guys. I ordered mine with the servos. Just wondering if they have been reliable?
Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
cosmo21

From what I seen of my buddys pro wired version, servos are very reliable. All works nicely. Although he did rewire it cuz they done a Sh1t job at factory.

Matt
Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So a group of us local flyers are looking at an aircraft we can fly off our 600 ft paved runway as everyday flyers. this puppy may be the ticket. I know the boys at the recent Jets Over Whidbey were really impressed by Mike and Global Jets demo of the Viper.
I have a spare K100 that needs a home.
Would that do the trick?

Dean W.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Jason R.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Helijet, the K100 is a great match for this jet. I have one in my viper and fly off a 600 ft grass runway with no problems. It only needs a little over half the strip to take off and stops in about half the strip without the use of brakes.

Jason.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 AM
mike3841

Hi guys,
Having followed this thread for some time I ordered a Vodafafone Viperjet from Jeff at Zedjet, it arrived in perfect condition
on Nov 3rd. It was well protected by 4 large sheets of ply. I have been impressed by the post's of Beachy and Mark V and
will install a fuel system based on Mark's. I hope he doe's not mind but I think that I will try and follow Beachy's install.
Engine, I have a Super Sport or P120 to use, I might fit the SS as I don't have to fly from grass in fact in 13 years of
jet flying I have never flown from grass.
A Futaba 6014 Rx will be used powered buy two A123 batteries through a PB sensor switch. the flaps and elevator
are to be driven by Savox 1256 servos. Lights (wing tip) will come from Braincube.
My good friend Jason Fletcher is going to give me help and advice with the install but I am not in rush.
So far so good Mike T.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
cosmo21

Nice one bro,
it's a nice flying jet. You'll enjoy it.

I have the Vodaphone one as well, the only negative is on cloudless sunny days, it actually becomes very difficult to see. But really good on a sky with about 4 octas of cloud. I guess being from the UK, sunny days are not a problem he. Hahaha. Sorry.

Other than that absolutely no negatives with it s flying capabilitys and easy/simple to live with.
I used the standard fuel tank configuration and it is also no dramas as well. Jet is very tolerant to CG shift. I think my cg is at 145 from leading edge.

Enjoy.

Matt
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 AM
mike3841

Hi Matt,
Thanks for that, you are right about the weather, how we envy you guys out in Australia. I have been to Brisbane and Sydney and can't wait to
go back again. Weather will be down hill until about April next year, seems a long way off. Servo's have just arrived so I can get started.
I am a bit concerned about the jet pipe and the closeness to the elevator servo and leads (servo case is aluminium) I will use silicon leads.

Regards,
Mike.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Hi Mike
Like you I am not looking forward to the long winter months, roll on the spring.
Regarding the elevator servo being close to the tailpipe "it is" but it has not been an issue so far, but getting the servo wire as far away from the tailpipe is always a good idea. I resolved this early on with my Viper builds by exiting the elevator servos lead out through the top of the elevator and then run it along the out side of the fus through the base of the fin strake. The elevator lead along with the rudder lead then both can be connected more easily outside the fus and enter back into the fus just befor the top hatch then run along and down the former at the rear of the hatch. You will need to remove a little material from the base of the fin strake at its front end but this dose not affect it in any way. This also keeps the leads as short as possible and you don't need to lose and bunch up the extra rudder lead were it connects to the plug in the usual exit at the rear of the fin.

Name:	fin base.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	2045578   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin fuz.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2045579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130720_191759.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	2045587  

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 11-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
mike3841

Hi Mark,
Now why didn't I think of that, great threads like this one are such a help and make
a set of instructions from China unnecessary.
Many thanks,
Mike.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:58 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the builders contributing in this thread are providing way better information about this jet than the factory can do. The problem is that the useful information is lost in the jungle, 50 pages worth.

Perhaps, I can issue a bounty award for anyone who can summarize all the useful info into a manual or reference. How much do you want to be paid for doing that? Maybe I can issue some store credit for anyone who comes up with the best summary (manual) of this build thread. Any advise?

Mike
Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 AM
cosmo21

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
I think the builders contributing in this thread are providing way better information about this jet than the factory can do. The problem is that the useful information is lost in the jungle, 50 pages worth.

Perhaps, I can issue a bounty award for anyone who can summarize all the useful info into a manual or reference. How much do you want to be paid for doing that? Maybe I can issue some store credit for anyone who comes up with the best summary (manual) of this build thread. Any advise?

Mike
Id do it for a Skymaster PC 21.... You are now a Skymaster dealer yeah?
Hahaha

Good idea tho bro.
Matt
Old 11-11-2014, 02:00 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't know SM is making PC. I have many used one in our warehouse for you if you will pay for the shipping. Nice try though. Mike
Old 11-28-2014, 03:39 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Hello all,

I've been going through this forum, and I'm seriously considering this as my 2nd turbine jet (I have a Navy Cat). I'm looking for a bit more performance and speed, and this plane seems to fly very nicely while being much easier to land than a Flash or Bandit. A lot cheaper, too, which helps when you have 2 kids in college.

Anyway, my main concern is visibility - my eyes are not as good as they used to be. My favorite schemes on the JL Viperjet would be the new "Ferrari" which is red on top and I believe black on the bottom. How is this for visibility? Does it come with the decals necessary to complete the scheme?

BTW - I saw a couple of comments about lack of scale compared to the SM and other Viperjets, but I didn't see anyone point out the reason. The JL version appears to be modeled on the original Viperjet prototypes, while all of the others (like SM) are based on the MkII. The main external difference with the MkII is the wing profile near the fuselage and the shape of the horizontal stab.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Jeremy_D

Hi Greg,

I can't comment on the scheme above however the yellow with the green and silver checks stands out really well in the sky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.