Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:31 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barger
Sorry to hear about your viper Greg......Turbine survived and everything else will help take some sting out of it.What scheme are you thinking about the ferrari is nice looking or the british.
Thanks, Greg. Yeah, sad to lose a great plane but I do have every intention of replacing it. I've fully tested everything - all servos and electronics good, gear are good. I ran the turbine on my test stand today, no problems. There are a number of schemes I like but I am worried about visibility. My eyes are not what they used to be and that's party what got me this time. I like the new Jolly Roger but gray can be really hard to see. I was thinking of either getting another Ferrari or the Canadian scheme like yours. I do have the vertical and horizontal stabs in the Ferrari scheme that survived the crash. Not sure what I need spare tail feathers for, though. They are the least likely parts to get damaged in normal use.

Greg
Old 09-06-2015, 04:49 PM
barger

Originally Posted by gsmarino2000
Thanks, Greg. Yeah, sad to lose a great plane but I do have every intention of replacing it. I've fully tested everything - all servos and electronics good, gear are good. I ran the turbine on my test stand today, no problems. There are a number of schemes I like but I am worried about visibility. My eyes are not what they used to be and that's party what got me this time. I like the new Jolly Roger but gray can be really hard to see. I was thinking of either getting another Ferrari or the Canadian scheme like yours. I do have the vertical and horizontal stabs in the Ferrari scheme that survived the crash. Not sure what I need spare tail feathers for, though. They are the least likely parts to get damaged in normal use.

Greg
Sorry i did not know yours was the Ferrari scheme.I almost went for that one i think the british is really nice but might be hard to see.I am really pleased with the canadian scheme i had no trouble seeing it really stands out nice.Glad to hear your turbine is okay airframe alone is a reasonable price compared to others on the market.Did your retracts survive?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg
All of them are hard to see, especially when they are back lit like yours was when it went in. I have the Vodafone scheme and it shows up pretty well. I have flown a round or two with Jose's Jolly Roger and the yellow stands out better than I thought it would for my 53 y/o eyes. For me the trick is to know when not to fly, like on a really cloudy day. I had a detached retina a few years ago, and even though I'm corrected to 20/20, I still don't feel as confident as I once did. So, I just got a bigger jet, lol.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:14 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The HPAT scheme is really good to see, but nose in coming at you they all disappear.

Also, I just need to say this, please send your turbine in for inspection. A dented can anywhere is bad sign. I'd hate to see you lose another airframe with the engine blows up. There can be a variety of unseen damage.
I just needed to say that please do as you wish but consider it.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:07 PM
gsmarino2000

Greg,

Yes, amazingly enough the retracts, servos, receiver, ECU, wiring harness, extensions and batteries all made it. The corn made it pretty easy to see what happened - it hit the corn about 30 degree nose down angle, wings banked about 15 degrees to the west. The wings hit the corn stalks first in two different rows which must have absorbed a lot of the energy before the fuse hit a stalk in the third row on the right intake and then hit the ground. The wing tube was bent back about 30 degrees on each side. The ground was soft dirt, but regardless I think if it had hit open dirt without the corn stalks, the damage to internal components would have been much worse.

Essyou,

I realize that a lot of people (including the manufacturers) would say to send the turbine in after any kind of incident, whether there was any external sign of damage or not. I'm pretty familiar with high speed rotating equipment and ceramic bearings and from what I can tell, it's fine - however I don't have precision balancing equipment and without that I would not even consider tearing it down. All I can do is judge by the feel of the bearings, which indicates they are undamaged and still preloaded. The turbine blade to housing gap is uniform and there has been no contact. Could there be other damage, like microscopic brinelling of the races? Possibly, although even the mfr probably wouldn't detect that with a simple tear down inspection. There is also the possibility of bent or broken injector needles, however that should show itself in combustion abnormalities. I could not detect anything - acceleration is fine, idle and full throttle EGT is normal. BTW I would not have run it even on a test stand if I wasn't pretty confident in its condition.

Will I send it in? Probably yes. The inspection fee is minimal and I will have plenty of time waiting for a new airframe.

Greg
Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 AM
Jason R.

Hi Greg, the green and yellow viper is very easy to easy to see and if you have the light package it it still easy to see on approach as the landing lights are quite bright.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0073.JPG
Views:	579
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	2118684   Click image for larger version

Name:	viper-coolum1ab.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	2118685  
Old 09-07-2015, 06:35 AM
gsmarino2000

The reason I'm avoiding the red & white Hipat scheme ... I have a EDF Viperjet with that scheme. I agree the visibility is pretty good, though. Yellow and green version of the Hipat ... this comes down to personal tastes in color - yellow and green seem a bit strange together in my eyes. However it is growing on me.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 AM
essyou35

Ok, sounds like you know whats best for you. Where do you fly? I've been wanting to get down to CO for an event sometime. Im in Nebrasaka.

Greg,

Yes, amazingly enough the retracts, servos, receiver, ECU, wiring harness, extensions and batteries all made it. The corn made it pretty easy to see what happened - it hit the corn about 30 degree nose down angle, wings banked about 15 degrees to the west. The wings hit the corn stalks first in two different rows which must have absorbed a lot of the energy before the fuse hit a stalk in the third row on the right intake and then hit the ground. The wing tube was bent back about 30 degrees on each side. The ground was soft dirt, but regardless I think if it had hit open dirt without the corn stalks, the damage to internal components would have been much worse.

Essyou,

I realize that a lot of people (including the manufacturers) would say to send the turbine in after any kind of incident, whether there was any external sign of damage or not. I'm pretty familiar with high speed rotating equipment and ceramic bearings and from what I can tell, it's fine - however I don't have precision balancing equipment and without that I would not even consider tearing it down. All I can do is judge by the feel of the bearings, which indicates they are undamaged and still preloaded. The turbine blade to housing gap is uniform and there has been no contact. Could there be other damage, like microscopic brinelling of the races? Possibly, although even the mfr probably wouldn't detect that with a simple tear down inspection. There is also the possibility of bent or broken injector needles, however that should show itself in combustion abnormalities. I could not detect anything - acceleration is fine, idle and full throttle EGT is normal. BTW I would not have run it even on a test stand if I wasn't pretty confident in its condition.

Will I send it in? Probably yes. The inspection fee is minimal and I will have plenty of time waiting for a new airframe.

Greg
Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
essyou35

Weird, I have a large EDF I panted with lots of yellow, cant see it at all. I was shocked. The white and yellow disappear in the sky. I have an a-10 in gray primer, its easy to see for some reason, the gray sticks out pretty good even when its cloudy. Not to get off topic but saw a photo op here

The reason I'm avoiding the red & white Hipat scheme ... I have a EDF Viperjet with that scheme. I agree the visibility is pretty good, though. Yellow and green version of the Hipat ... this comes down to personal tastes in color - yellow and green seem a bit strange together in my eyes. However it is growing on me.

Name:	KIMG0150.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2118710  
Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM
gsmarino2000

Originally Posted by essyou35
Ok, sounds like you know whats best for you. Where do you fly? I've been wanting to get down to CO for an event sometime. Im in Nebrasaka.
I fly at Love Air RC's Drake field, east of Fort Collins. We have a regional jet meet coming up Sept 25 - 27. http://www.rcflightdeck.com/event_de...nt_id=4655&i=0 You're also welcome to fly as my guest, just let me know when you want to come down.

Greg
Old 09-07-2015, 06:28 PM
essyou35

I was thinking about It, but realized you are 5000ft ASL and I am only 1000ft ASL. I wonder if that is why your viper snapped?

I fly at Love Air RC's Drake field, east of Fort Collins. We have a regional jet meet coming up Sept 25 - 27. http://www.rcflightdeck.com/event_de...nt_id=4655&i=0 You're also welcome to fly as my guest, just let me know when you want to come down.

Greg
Old 09-07-2015, 07:31 PM
gsmarino2000

I was thinking about It, but realized you are 5000ft ASL and I am only 1000ft ASL. I wonder if that is why your viper snapped?
It's snapped on me once before, but it was closer, the lighting was better and I had more altitude. I could see what I was doing to stop the spin and I had enough altitude to let the plane drop and pick up speed before trying to pull out of the dive. All factors I was missing this time. Critical angle of attack doesn't change with air density ... it's always the same for a particular airfoil. However the lift the wing generates and the effectiveness of the control surfaces is proportional to air density, so it's easier to get yourself in that situation. I've had people flying near sea level tell me that a Habu 32 won't snap out with any reasonable elevator throw, and I guarantee you that mine will.

I knew it was risky flying that early, especially because the dark red turns to black when backlit, but I just told myself I'd be careful. Probably overconfident with 40 or so flights on this jet. I was demonstrating how long I could hold a knife edge to a couple of friends, saw that I was getting too far away and I must have pulled too hard to bring it back around. I'm also guessing that flying without the wingtips increased the tendency to tip stall.

I read a post by someone flying a 2M Skymaster Viperjet who was having trouble with it snapping out during aerobatics. He set his ailerons to start reflexing up (like with crow) when his elevator exceeded a certain angle. He said that helped a lot, which makes sense - the same effect that a lot of us use for landing would also help avoid a spin during accelerated stalls. Shouldn't really need to do that, just be aware. And don't get yourself into a risky situation like I did. If the visibility is less than ideal stay closer in.

Greg

Last edited by gsmarino2000; 09-07-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
essyou35

Greg. sent you a PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:17 PM
barger

So i am flying from a short field 475ft. and stock tank set up.This makes for a very exciting lift off or yank off and this cannot continue so I would like to maybe go with a one 60oz tank in the front and one smoke saddle30 oz for fuel and the other saddle for smoke.So i have a couple questions will this help me get off sooner and it also seems to have slight negative incidence if i add a some blocks to the nose gear mount to up the nose will this help has anyone done this.Also could somone explain how to plumb the smoke tank for fuel ,will it draw evenly or how do i get the rear to drain first?And lastly being a short field would crow be benficial in getting me in slower and steeper over a tree line.Right now i have to come pretty fast low over trees to get in.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:22 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Crow would definitely help in short field landing. i won't fly my viper without crow now.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:37 AM
barger

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
Crow would definitely help in short field landing. i won't fly my viper without crow now.
Okay thank you Mike i so I can expect to keep power on and come in fairly steep and not gain to much airspeed with the steep decent?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM
essyou35

Depends, are you trying to make your approach with a nose up? That doesn't work too well.

Try this: Crow and flaps, not power on final. Keep it level, it will sink. If you put the nose up it will snap.

I am not sure what type of approach you have perhaps a picture can help? Usually if I have a tree line that is close I'll do a dog-leg approach and straighten out over the runway.

With crow and power off a nose down approach wont gain much speed. But if you try a high alpha from too far up your going to snap. High alpha is for in ground effect only on this type of jet.

Rear tanks in parallel. The vent goes to the rear tanks, rear tanks feed the front tank. UAT pulls from front tank. A couple ounces left in one tank is normal, sometimes they are both dry. Keep the lines the same length, will drain them fully.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM
barger

Depends, are you trying to make your approach with a nose up? That doesn't work too well.

Try this: Crow and flaps, not power on final. Keep it level, it will sink. If you put the nose up it will snap.

I am not sure what type of approach you have perhaps a picture can help? Usually if I have a tree line that is close I'll do a dog-leg approach and straighten out over the runway.

With crow and power off a nose down approach wont gain much speed. But if you try a high alpha from too far up your going to snap. High alpha is for in ground effect only on this type of jet.

Rear tanks in parallel. The vent goes to the rear tanks, rear tanks feed the front tank. UAT pulls from front tank. A couple ounces left in one tank is normal, sometimes they are both dry. Keep the lines the same length, will drain them fully.
Here is the best pic i could find I have to hug the tops of the trees to get down. If i can come in a little steeper and slower it will work better i think .I like what you describe i think that will work here.Thank you for the fuel tank set up.What is better with this jet tanks in series or parallel.

Name:	a_entrance.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	942.7 KB
ID:	2119658  
Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 PM
gsmarino2000

<SNIP>

Crow really does help with steeper approaches and also preventing tip stalls on landing with this plane. I've gotten mine too slow on final once or twice and practiced stlalls up high. With crow, you can "feel" it get "mushy" just before the bottom wants to drop out. I agree near level on final so that you can barely see the bottom of the wings as you decend.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:14 PM
barger

Crow really does help with steeper approaches and also preventing tip stalls on landing with this plane. I've gotten mine too slow on final once or twice and practiced stlalls up high. With crow, you can "feel" it get "mushy" just before the bottom wants to drop out. I agree near level on final so that you can barely see the bottom of the wings as you decend.
Thanks thats fanatstic guys i will try this ....I really like the smoke system it puts out a ton of smoke with just using diesel fluid.I think i will be happy with just one tank as it is proportional to throttle i get at least 4 good long passes with just filling them half.I think going with one saddle for fuel and one saddle for smoke and a smaller 60 oz tank up front i should get airborne sooner.I think i will raise the nose a smidgen as well. total fuel would be around 92 ounces. roughly the same as the one big tank up front

Last edited by barger; 09-13-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 PM
essyou35

Originally Posted by barger
Here is the best pic i could find I have to hug the tops of the trees to get down. If i can come in a little steeper and slower it will work better i think .I like what you describe i think that will work here.Thank you for the fuel tank set up.What is better with this jet tanks in series or parallel.

Wow, that is a crazy approach! Im not sure coming in at an angle is going to really do anything.

First thing, use 1 front tank and 2 rear tanks to get the CG back. Go parallel with the rear tanks. If you want to go serial, then you will have to use 6mm fuel line from DreamWorks and use bigger fuel tubes in the fuel stoppers. 3 tanks + UAT is going to be a lot of work for the pump.

That runway with those trees is like a carrier landing. Its not a landing, but a controlled crash!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:23 PM
barger

Wow, that is a crazy approach! Im not sure coming in at an angle is going to really do anything.

First thing, use 1 front tank and 2 rear tanks to get the CG back. Go parallel with the rear tanks. If you want to go serial, then you will have to use 6mm fuel line from DreamWorks and use bigger fuel tubes in the fuel stoppers. 3 tanks + UAT is going to be a lot of work for the pump.

That runway with those trees is like a carrier landing. Its not a landing, but a controlled crash!
I was planing one 60oz up front and one saddle 32oz saddle in rear that will take 32oz off the nose.I think parallel will work good and i keep one saddle for smoke......And yes one landing looked exactly like a carrier arrival! .....lol Not as bad as it looks in the photo they other way has power lines but farther out .
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. Come in flat with max flap and crow at idle works the best. I flare over the runway but bump up 1-2 click of thrust to hold the nose about 1 foot over the runway to avoid snap. The viper will just settle in at slightly nose high 3-5 degree position. mike.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:37 PM
gsmarino2000

Wow - a month of silence. Well, I'll break it. At the moment I'm impatiently waiting while the build my new Canada Scheme Viper. Hoping to have it by Christmas.

Greg
Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Jason R.

I have been fairly busy flying my viper and i got a copy of my take off from a grass strip, i used not quite 100 m or just over 300 ft for it. Also have had a flight with a gps unit installed. It had a top speed of 334km/h or 207 m/h and traveled 24 km or 15 miles. Not bad for 8.5 mins flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKEh1JhrdOg

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.