Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 PM
76Mustang76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken some more measurements. Its out by 4mm. Not sure what i can do?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:42 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

[QUOTE=76Mustang76;12128086]Taken some more measurements. Its out by 4mm. Not sure what i can do? /QUOTE]

Mine was off, but no where near 4mm. Maybe 0.4mm. It did take some judicious filing and chamfering to get mine together. If it is truly off by 4mm (0.15"), though, you would need to do some major surgery to fix it. If that's the case I would suggest talking to your importer about getting some new parts or help to fix it.

Greg
Old 11-16-2015, 05:25 PM
advent996
My Feedback: (12)

I never put a square on mine like you did yours but I believe I removed between .060" to .080" of an inch from the back side which is about 1.5mm to 2 mm. It still was a bit snug but didn't want to take off any more...

Hey Mikedenilin,

Any comment. I know this issue has been around for a long time now...
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hit it with a hammer, it will pop out. Then hysol it in, it will be better anyways. The glue they use is brittle.
Also hysol the rear pins as well that are inside the fuse.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 PM
76Mustang76

Managed to re adjust and epoxy wing dowel sleeves inside fuse. Wing dowels now line up and at last i can get the wings on. Only problem i have is that i find the wing joining tube is very tight in the wings. I had the same problem with my Xcalibur jet. At least it was carbon so i could sand it down to make it fit better. I was thinking of maybe replacing alloy tube and use carbon instead. Im just a bit worried that maybe carbon wont be strong enough. Alloy bends under stress but carbon can break. Has anybody changed the stock wing tube to carbon?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I had reflected this issue to the factory and they are correcting that for their future productions. As for all of us who's got stuck with the misfit pin, Essyou35's got the same solution. The front pin is not a structural component. the anti rotation is done on the rear pin, like that of the first generation. The front anti rotation pin was added on later version so that there is less gap on the root of leading edge merging to the fuselage. Any slight change, such as shrinkage of fiberglass during future curing, will alter the alignment significantly. You would face the similar problem in the span of service life. Even a slight bent on the aluminum spar will alter the alignment. For me the permanent cure is to modify the round hole on the fuselage side to be slight elliptical so that the wings can be slid in easily.

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Si_B

Just bought one of these from a nice chap. Just been looking over it and noticed the front main tank has started to split around the filler bung. Not put any fuel in it yet, so not sure if it leaks or not, but I don't think I want to leave it in case it ruptures. Can you buy the front tank or is there a better alternative.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 11-22-2015, 01:45 PM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Simon,

You can fit an original tank or fit the smoke tanks which most people seem to use as fuel tanks - either way I have both...email: [email protected]

BTW there should have been an aluminium ring fitted around the neck of the tank - these are supplied as standard from the factory...

Cheers

Jeff
Old 11-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Si_B

Cheers Jeff, will drop you an email for a quote. The model has been featured on this thread, it's the Green one which Mark V built I think. Picked it up this morning whilst visiting my folks in Norfolk. I can't wait to get my Wren 80 fitted and get it completely checked over (it has been built to a high standard, but we all have our own little preferences). Not sure if the ring you mention is on but the split is really close to the main body of the tank. This one has been modified to use the rear smoke tanks first as fuel tanks, it then empties the main front tank.

Going to be a perfect jet for me, can't wait for the season to start again next year.

Simon
Old 11-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Simon
Good to see the Green Vipers gone to another good home but sorry to hear you have a problem with the tank.They are readily available as a spare from Jeff at Zedjets but if not off the shelf I do have some here my self as ive built several and only ever use one tank per airframe.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3195.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2131902  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Si_B

Yep, that's my new model. It has split where that white line is just behind the bung. Will speak to you in the week Mark. What a small world !!

Simon
Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

If you look at the picture above it looks like the aluminum ring is in the wrong place. The ring should be tight against the tank - it looks that it is on the stopper. The purpose of the ring is to keep from overloading the tank when compressing the stopper.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi all. I was wondering if someone could measure the cockpit for me? I have a JTM viperjet which is pretty much same size but its without a cockpit. So I am thinking if JL cockpit would fit with some modding.

Much appreciated!
-c
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM
erwin peters

Hello, I almost finish my Viper. I was doing some test on air System and Found out following problem.
After filling the tank even in the In or Out wheels position, if the RX battery is off, it won’t lose air pressure. If I have the RX with power it will start losing air, and after 15-20 min it will almost empty.
Any ideas.
Regards
Erwin
Old 11-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Jason R.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest trying to find which line is leaking, Erwin. Mine is flawless with leaks and only loses 0.1 Bar after a flight. That is with the gear rotation and braking if needed. I have forgotten to top up air before second flight and still no problem with pressure.

Jason
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 PM
erwin peters

Hello Jason, But if it were a leaking air line, should also be leaking when the RX is off ?? That is curious for me ( this I my first air retract in almost 20 years). I can leave the plane over night and it will not lose any pressure as long the RX is power off.
Regards
Erwin
Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Jason R.

Yes Irwin, but with the electronic valves they stop any air from getting through. So once powered up they allow the air through, therefore the air leak is on the retract or brake side of the valves. I would use some window cleaner or something bubbly like it and spray lightly around all the connections after the valves and see where it possibly could be.
Jason
Old 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM
erwin peters

Hello, I alreadychecked all conections and not luck at all; I replace the air valve for a Dubrosince it was some licking on the original, but the system its steel losing air pressurewhen the Rx is on. Not sure what else I can do.
Regards
Erwin
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM
barger

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Hi all. I was wondering if someone could measure the cockpit for me? I have a JTM viperjet which is pretty much same size but its without a cockpit. So I am thinking if JL cockpit would fit with some modding.

Much appreciated!
-c
21.5"long by 5.5" wide
Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by erwin peters
Hello, I alreadychecked all conections and not luck at all; I replace the air valve for a Dubrosince it was some licking on the original, but the system its steel losing air pressurewhen the Rx is on. Not sure what else I can do.
Regards
Erwin
Try increasing your end points.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:53 PM
erwin peters

Yes I did that. Nothing changed.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 PM
76Mustang76

Has anybody had success with the Jet legend smoke pump?. Is there a way that i can power pump from its own battery rather than take power from receiver batteries. I did notice something on this forum a while back how to wire it up but cant seem to find now.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:08 PM
barger

Originally Posted by 76Mustang76
Has anybody had success with the Jet legend smoke pump?. Is there a way that i can power pump from its own battery rather than take power from receiver batteries. I did notice something on this forum a while back how to wire it up but cant seem to find now.
I went through this and its not necessary to use a external pack the pump draws very little power and its also proportional so mix it to your throttle channel and it works great. I have two 3300 2s li-po for rx.When i tried to hook up the external i left the signal wire in the rx and the positive and negative to the battery and it would not run.So i went with the way it was designed to be used and its a non issue now.

Last edited by barger; 12-16-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:11 PM
76Mustang76

Originally Posted by barger
I went through this and its not necessary to use a external pack the pump draws very little power and its also proportional so mix it to your throttle channel and it works great. I have two 3300 2s li-po for rx.When i tried to hook up the external i left the signal wire in the rx and the positive and negative to the battery and it would not run.So i went with the way it was designed to be used and its a non issue now.
Will just run it from receiver batteries then. Im going to have the same setup. Two 3000 2 cell lipos should be more than enough. How did you run your smoke injector?. Im getting mixed feedback regarding where i should position it. Some say run a stainless tube between walls of exhaust tube and have nozzle at the end of pipe. Other saying do not have it injecting inside exhaust tube as cold oil will shock tube and damage it?. The way i have it setup at the moment is inside with a bend so nozzle is in the center. What are your thoughts on this.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:07 PM
barger

Originally Posted by 76Mustang76
Will just run it from receiver batteries then. Im going to have the same setup. Two 3000 2 cell lipos should be more than enough. How did you run your smoke injector?. Im getting mixed feedback regarding where i should position it. Some say run a stainless tube between walls of exhaust tube and have nozzle at the end of pipe. Other saying do not have it injecting inside exhaust tube as cold oil will shock tube and damage it?. The way i have it setup at the moment is inside with a bend so nozzle is in the center. What are your thoughts on this.
I have not noticed any negative affects on the pipe i think its fine just the way it comes from the factory with a slight bend directing it into the hot exhaust.If its mixed to tnrottle that controls the amount being pumped in to the pipe so little chance of oil not vaporizing.I was thrilled first time i made a pass with half flaps and using just diesel tons of billowy smoke.Very happy with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.