Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lipo Fire in Garage

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lipo Fire in Garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:49 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lipo Fire in Garage

I couldn't tell if the charger went first or the lipo. Really doesn't matter. This incident just causes me two solid days of grief. I had to completely gut my shop, and hand clean ever single item, scrub the walls and floor and all tables, because of the thick black soot covering EVERTHING!. We are fortunate this didn't end up like several others whos houses burned down.

This should serve to others as a wake up call to make sure that you NEVER leave a charger on all night and NEVER charge your lipos in the jet.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83645.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	1775337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53141.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	1775338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89027.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	1775339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81910.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1775340  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipo Fire in Garage

Andy. Sorry about the fire but like you said, glad you caught it early. What rate were you charging at?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Andy. Sorry about the fire but like you said, glad you caught it early. What rate were you charging at?
it was a 4 cell lipo 1000 mah. I was charging at full capacity. Oh, and I didn't catch it early. I put it on before bed and woke up to this mess. It burned itself out... Very scary. It was very STUPID of me to charge these overnight. I had charged them so many times without problems AND I always charge them on the concrete. There was a gas can 3 feet away and paint cans even closer. It cold have been a disaster.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Lipo fire in the van while charging. Rather than topping of the packs, the less intelligent chrager recognized the pack as a depleted pack with an extra cell voltage. I grew too comfortable with the charger, and failed to double check manually, don't plan to make that same mistake.

What kind of charger were you using Andy? Btw, glad all else is ok!

Barry
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

WOW!!!! damn your lucky lil fella. glad to hear it didn't burn the whole house down!

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I couldn't tell if the charger went first or the lipo. Really doesn't matter. This incident just causes me two solid days of grief. I had to completely gut my shop, and hand lean ever single item, scrub the walls and floor and all tables, because of the thick black soot covering EVERTHING!. We are fortuneaute this didn't end up like several others whos houses burned down.

This should serve to others as a wake up call to make sure that you NEVER charge your lipos in the jet.

Andy
Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone was watching out for you !

Sorry for your loss, but as you said... it was confined to a small area.

Rick
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM
scottkieper
My Feedback: (10)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

look at all the paint cans
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,

You say full capacity... ? 1C or what Mah..? What brand battery was it ??? Bad deal for sure !!! Glad the F-18 is ok !!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
FMRR

I'm so sorry for you,like you said it could of been worse.Count your blessings.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Andy

Glad it didn't got into big damage. I always take my lipos out of the plane to charge, but many times there are other flamable objects arround.

From the pics, seems that you did't have the balance plug connected. I always balance lipos during charging so that the balancer can detect peak voltage per cell.

I was planning in buying one of these 4 pack charger at 1 time, but now it seems that those cannot beat my old reliable Orbit charger. Still prefer to wait 3 hours to charge 3 packs

Good luck in the next charge

regards

Nuno
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
RSO

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wowwww Andy! So glad to hear you & your family are OK. I'd say that was your "one", and it won't happen again. Glad to see the F-18 is OK also.

Jerry
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I only charge lipos when I am actually in the workshop, if I am packing up I will take them off the charge and put them back in the ammo box I store my lipos in.
I even got out of my bed once as I remembered there was a lipo with a new turbine still in the cardboard box that arrived that day, thought afterwards I was mad, but have since heard many stories of lipo's going on fire for no reason and reading what happened to you, I dont think you can be careful enough.
The Ammo box full of lipos is now going to the shed and out of the workshop!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
SinCityJets

Andy,

Very lucky indeed! Glad nothing more serious happened. I hope you went to church today!

Chad
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Dustin Buescher

Close call! Glad you are ok. Were you balancing while charging?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I wonder if a temp probe that most nice chargers offer would have prevented something like this ?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorryto hear but what brand of charger and with all those "extra" connections and all do you think they might have been a short?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, glad to hear it wasn't more than a scare... It could have been a lot worse.

Now, what I find really interesting is that with all the info available, people are still charging in their planes. Check this thread from a few days ago http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11124688/tm.htm

As I mention in my post towards the end: it is not even about being there. Once it starts it can be pretty incontrollable. It is about having a plan, charging on something like concrete like Andy's for example.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry to hear about your very close call! Glad you are OK and the house! Never ever ever leave your lipos to charge unattended without the casual stroll by and overnight while sleeping is a big ABSOLUTE no no!

Is that one of the chargers that Hobbyking sells? It appears to be.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
AndyAndrews

More info. It was a Turnigy charger. Nope I wasn't using the balance port.. (I know.. ) and the battery was a Sky Lipo 1000 mah, 30c continuous, 60c burst.

I was charging all four batteries at once at 1 amp. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to charge all four at once with this charger. Also note that I kept them separated but I guess I got the one to close to the charger..

The other pick is of the other charger which was charging some Nimh batteries (in the jet) and I was charging a Nimh battery in my fueler along with another lipo which was in a clay pot. I don't think I will ever trust charging anything on a table even if its not a lipo seeing that charger burned up like that.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way... LiPo exhaust gases are EXTREEMLY corrosive. I mean the kind of corrosive that could be concocted by rubbing a mix of salt and acid on pig iron. Really nasty. Standby for everything in you shop to corrode.

Sorry.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Always use the balance port and check the IR on each cell after each charge. I do charge my ECU lipo in the plane but I check the IR on each cell and balance it everycharge. A bad cell will show it self before it lets go with an increase in IR.

Glad no one was hurt and the damage was small.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
rpm303
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks for the post Andy. Was thinking of buying that charger, now I think not !!!!

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Grodus

I have been using a charger like that for 3 years and it is the best $100 I have ever spent. The charger is not necessarily the problem here. Could have been the batt, a damaged cell in the batt, ect. All batts and components from any manufacture are capable of a malfunction. The only problem I have ever had was with Fromeco ions with a fromeco charger for those specific batts. No way to screw it up, not way to adust the current, just plug it in. When i tell you they exploded, I thought a tree had fallen on the house. THey were outside being charged and this was the ONLY time I had ever removed them from the jet to charge them. I thought it was relatively safe to charge those in the airplane. Had I not taken them out, the front end of my Flash would be gone!
Since that, I will not charge any batt in a jet or a foamy , not to mention the garage or in the house.

Cody
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
SPEED51J

ORIGINAL: rpm303

Thanks for the post Andy. Was thinking of buying that charger, now I think not !!!!

Glad no one was hurt.
why blame the charger. Sorry this happened but from looking at the pics the batteries that were on the charger were not connected to the balance port. I have this same charger and I always connect the batteries to the balance port and it lets me know if there is an issue with the battery.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 batteries at once left them on overnightwent to bed while charging. You are are one blessed man. Don't ever ever do that again. Glad you survived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.