Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gear Doors, What is the best/easiest way to install??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Gear Doors, What is the best/easiest way to install??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gear Doors, What is the best/easiest way to install??

Hi Guys,

Have just received an F-15D kit which was supposed to have gear doors already installed. i have tried to figure out best way to do this nasty job but i was not able till now to find the proper way to do it without risking of messing up things.
I just hate the trial and error process and was wondering if there would be any easy method to complete this part of the build.

thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Best regards,
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 AM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear Doors, What is the best/easiest way to install??

after flying my jl f15 with all the doors on my answer to your question would be don't bother they fly great without them just one more thing to go wrong
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think gear doors are that hard, I use a hot glue gun instead of ca. Less mess and easy to adjust.
I tape doors close tack one hinge and then open the door if it works close the door use a small ruler and draw a line for the 2nd hinge. Then just check function again, if its good mark the hinge locations remove and glue in place.
if you don't like trial and error then there is nothing u can do to make it easier. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Extra300, hope this helps. If you get the concept of the tutorial, you're F-15 should be a breeze.
Problem with F-15's and F-18's is the number of doors, but it is not hard.....just takes time.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9979870

David
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi David,

great tutorial on that other thread (boy catia takes me back!)

I do it the same way, your tip about the initial placement of the hinge (the hinge line location with respect to the opening) is where I think most people get into trouble.

the only thing I do different is I gang all of the hinges together on a removable hinge pin made of music wire, this not only makes the door removable but ensures the hinges are in line before you glue them.

I also go back after the glue has dried and screw them in with #0 self tapping screws.

Anyway great tutorial!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:29 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

nice walk through, I do the same just first run is with hot glue so if one of the hinges isnt perfectly aligned with the others I can fix before its perm.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another method I have used is a small fire in a trash can. The doors pop and sizzle as they melt away and forever remove themselves from existence. It is VERY therapeutic

Shaz
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM
dbsonic

Great tutorial. Thanks.
Does everybody just use pneumatic actuators on nose gear doors or can the door be closed with rubber bands/springs sufficiently?
My worry is if springs, with the added resistance, the nose gear may not extend all the way and result in nose skid landing.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

I wished you had that Tutorial about 10 years ago when we built those 3 Yellow A/C Twin F-18's here in my shop... Roger and I elected Doug as Gear door Guru .. The first one too him 14 hrs, the second about 12.5, ant the last one was just over 10 hrs... !!! And that ain't counting the three Half Gallons of Jack Daniel's and about 8 racks of Baby Back ribs !!!! You talk'in a pain in the ***** !!!! HOLY SMOKES !!! If you can buy an airplane now days and it's only a couple extra hundred to have the gear doors done with cylinders, Don't say no!!! It's worth every penny !!! I'll never go down that road again !!!

Danno

Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
rcand

The best way for one not well versed in how to make gear doors works is to pay someone else who does or just don't do them.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Fender and David nailed it along with another that said sometimes we all dread gear doors. The worst you will do is your first one. Ha. The curve I had to learn was cleaning that area that you glue the hinge at. I could not believe how well that hd to be sanded and cleaned before you glue. No kind of glue will hold your hinge if the area is not prepped. Clean with alcohol and sand then clean with alcohol again. David thanks for reposting that Toot of yours. That is a good thread. I may print that out and hang it on the wall. Ha. Ha if I can find enough wall to hang it. Lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
extra 300

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

David,

Thank you very much for the very detailed explanation for gear Door installation, you just gave me what's needed to get through this delicate step.

Best regards,
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Alright! Glad to help.

Danno, took me 3 F-16's to figure it out!!

:-)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Another method I have used is a small fire in a trash can. The doors pop and sizzle as they melt away and forever remove themselves from existence. It is VERY therapeutic

Shaz
LMAO! After watching the hotspots grow, I needed that!
Greg