Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best turbine, best service?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best turbine, best service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Best turbine, best service?

ORIGINAL: -JC-

I'd be scared buying a turbine where most people talk about how great and fast their customer service is. It seems that A LOT of service is needed.

JetCat owners don't post much in the turbine fanboy section. They tend to be out flying instead, and not having the service department on speed dial.

Go with what you see at the field, working flight after flight. All turbines have some issues, but the leading brand is the brand of choice because of reliability. P-140 seems like a good choice for your jet Pete.
Serious nonsense, I have both brands, both have had service, the Jetcats far more than the Jetcentrals and the Cats have 1/2 the time on them. one co. is very fast, one not so fast.. One usually requires just an email to Eric to get support, the other, no point to email as they go unanswered. Bob is great if you can get him when you call, It might take 1/2 dozen calls before you do though, anyone else there and forget it.

Mike

Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Ziroli Panther with a Jet Cat P-70. It has adequate power for the Panther, but barely. Something with a bit more power would be nice. I've not had occasion to have the P-70 serviced so I can't speak to that. I also have a Jet Central Bee II Kero start in my ShockJet. I had it back to be serviced due to my bad and Eric Clapp had it fixed completely for no charge. If I ever buy another new turbine it will be from Jet Central due to their outstanding service.

sp
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

I'd be scared buying a turbine where most people talk about how great and fast their customer service is. It seems that A LOT of service is needed.

JetCat owners don't post much in the turbine fanboy section. They tend to be out flying instead, and not having the service department on speed dial.

Go with what you see at the field, working flight after flight. All turbines have some issues, but the leading brand is the brand of choice because of reliability. P-140 seems like a good choice for your jet Pete.
Serious nonsense, I have both brands, both have had service, the Jetcats far more than the Jetcentrals and the Cats have 1/2 the time on them. one co. is very fast, one not so fast.. One usually requires just an email to Eric to get support, the other, no point to email as they go unanswered. Bob is great if you can get him when you call, It might take 1/2 dozen calls before you do though, anyone else there and forget it.

Mike

I stated that most of the things you hear when JetCentral is mentioned it their fast repair time. Your rebuttal is that it is pure nonsense? mmmmmkay.
Why don't you go through the posts about JetCentral. Most of them sounds like this "Eric to care of me, fixed it for free and I even called him on a Sunday" Well, kudos to JCentral for having a fast repair time. It still does not change the fact that most posts describe their experience with service, not the longevity of their turbine.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Pete S-RCU

Hey John, haven't seen you since 01 or 02 at Florida Jets.

The P140 has 32lbs thrust, that would tear the wings off that old Panther I'm afraid.
I don't see the P70 on their site anymore.
The cats are either too big, or too small.
I'm leaning more toward a smaller turbine now, several comments have suggested them, and I'm thinking it's not a bad idea.
The hard part is landing the Panther, it's a glider and doesn't want to stop flying.
Have to get it slowed way down for it to stay on the ground.
Too much residual thrust in the more powerful engines might be a problem.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
-JC-

Pete

Just be gentle with that left stick or try a P-100.

Not sure what the stock situation is. I called to buy a p-180 recently but it was back ordered.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Pepperpete

On my brand new P80SE I had kero leaking out the front of the can. I called for service and the tech had me take the front purple shroud off. We discovered that one of the internal fuel lines hadn't been wire tied. The tech said the fix was simple and that I should do it myself. When I said I wasn't comfortable with that as I didn't have the proper wire or equipment, I had to convince him to let me send it down. I figured a full inspection in case anything else got missed was in order. To this day I still think it was strange how they dealt with it. This was after two phone calls that went unanswered and unreturned. Having said that, the turbine ran flawlessly once I got it back. I just felt I was being pushed to the side because my issue wasn't important. Not a great feeling.

I ended up going with Kingtech for my next turbine and ran into a minor problem with a stutter when I went to full throttle. I called Barry and he had a replacement tailcone in the mail overnighted to me. Keep in mind this is after he tried to get me to send the turbine in on thier dime because it had the wrong cone installed in the first place. I told him it wasn't a problem for me to change it. He agreed to do this with the condition that I update him on the results when done. Honestly it gave me serious confidence that if something went wrong...I would be supported. I strapped the new cone on and problem solved. This is how things should be handled IMO.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
luv2flyrc

Mike

I stated that most of the things you hear when JetCentral is mentioned it their fast repair time. Your rebuttal is that it is pure nonsense? mmmmmkay.
Why don't you go through the posts about JetCentral. Most of them sounds like this "Eric to care of me, fixed it for free and I even called him on a Sunday" Well, kudos to JCentral for having a fast repair time. It still does not change the fact that most posts describe their experience with service, not the longevity of their turbine.
What you stated is: "JetCat owners don't post much in the turbine fanboy section. They tend to be out flying instead, and not having the service department on speed dial."

That's utter nonsense part, the forum is loaded with Jetcat fanboys and and guys puporting to be Jetcat reps yada yada.

Does it bother you that people rave about JC service and not much is said about Jetcats service? Theres a reason for that and it's not as you suggest that Jetcats don't break.LOL

Jetcats break as often as any other turbine, in my own experience more often than my Jetcentrals. Anything mechanical breaks, I'm not slagging Jetcat for that, the difference is Jetcentral's support and turnaround time is WAY faster. Maybe that's because they don't have such a line up of repairs to get through?

Mike

Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
-JC-

Mike

Why don't you go through the posts about JetCentral. Most of them sounds like this ''Eric to care of me, fixed it for free and I even called him on a Sunday'' Well, kudos to JCentral for having a fast repair time. It still does not change the fact that most posts describe their experience with service, not the longevity of their turbine.
Does it bother you that people rave about JC service and not much is said about Jetcats service? Theres a reason for that and it's not as you suggest that Jetcats don't break.LOL

Jetcats break as often as any other turbine, in my own experience more often than my Jetcentrals. Anything mechanical breaks, I'm not slagging Jetcat for that, the difference is Jetcentral's support and turnaround time is WAY faster. Maybe that's because they don't have such a line up of repairs to get through?

Mike

What nonsense.

So, because it's mechanical it all breaks at the same rate??? Nice try :-)

Does BVM retracts malfunction with the same frequency as FEJ or JetLegend? According to your logic, yes. Lets have some real world experience

I fly at a very active jet field. There is a very notable difference between the malfunction of various turbine manufacturers.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
luv2flyrc

[/quote]

What nonsense.

So, because it's mechanical it all breaks at the same rate??? Nice try :-)

Does BVM retracts malfunction with the same frequency as FEJ or JetLegend? According to your logic, yes. Lets have some real world experience

I fly at a very active jet field. There is a very notable difference between the malfunction of various turbine manufacturers.

[/quote]

Can't comment on the retracts as I don't own any of those brands. Real world experience, I own 3 Jetcats and 2 Jetcentrals. Jetcats have been back 3 times for warranty repairs, Jet Central 1 time. The shortest turnaround I had on a Jetcat was 4 weeks from shipped out till shipped back. The Jetcentral was less than a week.

Apparently, your real world experience is different than mine. Buy whatever brand you want and have fun with it, I'll do the same, good luck.

Mike

Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd be scared buying a turbine where most people talk about how great and fast their customer service is.
I wish to politely disagree with that train of logic. I think the forums are more populated with rave reviews of Eric's Jet Central service than that of other brands because more of Eric's customers are happy, not because Eric has more repairs to review.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet there are way more JetCats in use, thus more opportunities for them to excel and receive rave reviews for routine maintenance, if nothing else.

Trying to somehow twist the world upside down and make Jet Central's positive reviews into something that should reflect negatively on the company is....quite a stretch, I think.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
-JC-

ORIGINAL: highhorse

I'd be scared buying a turbine where most people talk about how great and fast their customer service is.
Personally, that seems like some pretty goofy logic. I wish to politely disagree.
You are here by allowed to disagree, but only because you asked politely

So, a product that breaks a lot is ok as long as it is fixed quickly? I'm not referring to any particular product with that question, just trying to understand where you think my logic is goofy.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
highhorse

Rather, can you show me where it is not?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
-JC-

I'd rather buy a product that works than have a product that I need to send in for repairs all the time. No matter how fast and great the service is. That's my logic

What's yours?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wren Turbines USA

High Horse,

You say that Wren is middle of the road....I sold you 2 ECU leads and 1 glow plug on 11-5-2009, $ 38.00.... shipped them before they were paid for...and this is middle of the road????? WOW!!!!
Don't be that way, with all the ''WOW'' stuff. Holy moly!

It wasn't an insult. There's more to the story than you are stating here, but there is no need to engage in that because, again, there was no insult then or now. You weren't the best, you weren't the worst either. Take a chill pill please.

JetCat Lost track of everything regarding my order, confusing me and my ECU with another customer entirely while repeatedly not following thru with feedback on the status of my service etc.

On the other hand, Eric at Jet Central replaced ALL of the accessories, thats the entire harness, all leads, both fuel valves, fuel pump, the battery...EVERYTHING, for NO CHARGE when he upgraded my Rhino to Kero. The parts he replaced were still servicable, but he just went way above and beyond any expectations. In fact, I'm not sure he didn't just swap out my engine for a new one off the shelf, because everything I got back was indestinguishable from new and in sealed, factory new packaging. Let me be clear: he charged me for a Kero upgrade, then threw in at no extra charge all new accessories which by themSELVES should have cost more than the price of the upgrade (which included a new engine casing and ECU, and wasn't just a Kero plug and some tubing like the upgrade of my Titan)

Sorry you got out done by Eric. That's not my fault any more than your having out performed JetCat is to my credit, but if you want to blast me for one observation then you should praise and thank me for the other, yes?

Yes, your service was middle of the road in my experience, which I clearly stated was MY experience, as others' experiences would vary. Does that make me a bad customer in your eyes, worthy of your public derision here on RCU? If so, then THAT is an interesting comment on your customer service, in and of itself.

Don Ray.
I cant understand how companies are out there giving away free motors and free parts, free this free that, free shipping, etc. How does a company stay in business giving away everything for free? Maybe this is how they get all the cheerleaders? This kind of business plan doesnt usually work. Buying customers is expensive advertising.
I own alot of Jetcat turbines and they only break when I injest something cause I didnt have a $3 screen installed. Service has always been great and reasonably timed. when I send a motor in I dont expect to get it back by the end of the week and be free.
Theres alot of us guys out there that been flying Jetcat a long time and have had wonderful experiences with them. We just dont get on here every week tooting the horns and patting backs. I guess i would if I got $1000 in free stuff.
I buy Jetcat because it works and works great. Very diversified product line and always improving. Jetcats are always in demand have a very good resale value. Great product, great service, extremely reliable, great resale value. And I Like Bob Wilcox. Great guy!
Did I just reply to a "which turbine is best thread? UGH!
Scott
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 PM
highhorse

I didn't know it was our place to pass judgement on others' business plans?

If Eric were gonna drive himself out of business by providing the service he has, seems to me that would have happened by now.

I don't know what his markup is, how much service he can provide at what price etc and still make a profit. Perhaps his deal with Jet Central is better than Bob's is with JetCat. I don't know, I don't care. The engines are on a par with others, and the service is above that.

That said, there's nothing to preclude me from buying another Cat if a particular motor fits a particular need. I am willing, based upon others' reports, to accept my single bad experience with them as an anomaly.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
highhorse

I'd rather buy a product that works than have a product that I need to send in for repairs all the time. No matter how fast and great the service is. That's my logic

What's yours?
If you can call "I see a lot of great reviews for Jet Central service, ergo they must break often"....um....logic. Like I said, that's quite a stretch of the imagination, and I doubt anyone else is buying into that train of thought at all.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

After reading all the posts, it is apparent that there is only one turbine that will really make you happy: The RAM 750! American made, a proven design and excellent service and support from Carlos. You can find them on RCU and on E Bay for a reasonable price. Glad to help!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Pete S-RCU

Good one Brian.

When I started this thread, I just wanted some firsthand advice on what was available.
Seems to be getting a little of track.

Thanks for all the ideas
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Pete S-RCU

Good one Brian.

When I started this thread, I just wanted some firsthand advice on what was available.

Thanks for all the ideas
They always do, I'm surprised no one has recomended a P-200 in your Ziroli Panther yet. We are only up to a P-140lol

Mike

Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pete S-RCU

Good one Brian.

Thanks for all the ideas

It's the old Chvey vs. Ford discussion, it will always get off track
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
leopaul

I owned a Jetcat P80se, a P160sx and a PHT3...Have good service, but depend on who you talk...I spend 500$ in one week to repair my PHT3 starter because of 2 first bad diagnostic.....Speaking to Bob directly given me the right answer......

I now own a Jetcentral Bee, a Rabbit KS, a Cheetah and a Wren 44 in my Bergen44 magnum heli. I just bought peace of mind to not have any $$ to spend in my jet engine and the service i had for 2 small issues were outstanding... The acceleration at my location here is also much faster than the previous engine i had.

Could not comment on the Wren at that point, it has never required service...and Ron is always there to answer some email quickly...
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Pete S-RCU

New question.
I have SJ 1200-18, the starter has never been up to the task, barely gets the engine up to 23k for starting.
Starter motor s/b able to push it to 2/3 idle rpm, which is 50k.
It's on it's last legs.
Makes starts unreliable at best.
If I go to SJ the best I can met is another one of what I've already got, plus they're only making parts for their military and not supporting the hobby market anymore.
Where can I get a better mtr?
Has anyone heard of using a brushless starter motor?
If I could get an analog to ppm converter maybe I could drive a speed controller on a brushless mtr, then I could get lots of r-pm?

Next, what can make a turbine mover temp at full throttle?
Same engine has started doing that.
Had new bearings about a year ago, only has about six flights on it in that time.
Rpm goes to about 160k and then the temp goes over 800c.
Ecu cuts power to lower temp to 145k.

Otherwise everything is great!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

i have a wren ss/44 and Jc rabbit both brands are awesome engines. i never had any product support problems with my wren super sport or my wren 44 but.... if i post my experiance with JC i will get bashed
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
RCJetBazz

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

ORIGINAL: Wren Turbines USA

High Horse,

You say that Wren is middle of the road....I sold you 2 ECU leads and 1 glow plug on 11-5-2009, $ 38.00.... shipped them before they were paid for...and this is middle of the road????? WOW!!!!
Don't be that way, with all the ''WOW'' stuff. Holy moly!

It wasn't an insult. There's more to the story than you are stating here, but there is no need to engage in that because, again, there was no insult then or now. You weren't the best, you weren't the worst either. Take a chill pill please.

JetCat Lost track of everything regarding my order, confusing me and my ECU with another customer entirely while repeatedly not following thru with feedback on the status of my service etc.

On the other hand, Eric at Jet Central replaced ALL of the accessories, thats the entire harness, all leads, both fuel valves, fuel pump, the battery...EVERYTHING, for NO CHARGE when he upgraded my Rhino to Kero. The parts he replaced were still servicable, but he just went way above and beyond any expectations. In fact, I'm not sure he didn't just swap out my engine for a new one off the shelf, because everything I got back was indestinguishable from new and in sealed, factory new packaging. Let me be clear: he charged me for a Kero upgrade, then threw in at no extra charge all new accessories which by themSELVES should have cost more than the price of the upgrade (which included a new engine casing and ECU, and wasn't just a Kero plug and some tubing like the upgrade of my Titan)

Sorry you got out done by Eric. That's not my fault any more than your having out performed JetCat is to my credit, but if you want to blast me for one observation then you should praise and thank me for the other, yes?

Yes, your service was middle of the road in my experience, which I clearly stated was MY experience, as others' experiences would vary. Does that make me a bad customer in your eyes, worthy of your public derision here on RCU? If so, then THAT is an interesting comment on your customer service, in and of itself.

Don Ray.
I cant understand how companies are out there giving away free motors and free parts, free this free that, free shipping, etc. How does a company stay in business giving away everything for free? Maybe this is how they get all the cheerleaders? This kind of business plan doesnt usually work. Buying customers is expensive advertising.
I own alot of Jetcat turbines and they only break when I injest something cause I didnt have a $3 screen installed. Service has always been great and reasonably timed. when I send a motor in I dont expect to get it back by the end of the week and be free.
Theres alot of us guys out there that been flying Jetcat a long time and have had wonderful experiences with them. We just dont get on here every week tooting the horns and patting backs. I guess i would if I got $1000 in free stuff.
I buy Jetcat because it works and works great. Very diversified product line and always improving. Jetcats are always in demand have a very good resale value. Great product, great service, extremely reliable, great resale value. And I Like Bob Wilcox. Great guy!
Did I just reply to a "which turbine is best thread? UGH!
Scott
This guy sounds to me like a JetCat Cheerleader and Wilcox groupie, lol

Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
ricardinho

jetca best engines period.....lol ok i said it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.