Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:45 AM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying

Most of the country is having a heat wave. Has this put a damper on your flying, are you not going to events or fly ins because of the heat. What can event organizers do to make it more bearable for participants? What do you do to stay cool when you go flying in this heat?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 AM
k12rc

Default RE: Has the extreme Heat stopped your flying

Not flying at all.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jayman618

Most of the country is having a heat wave. Has this put a damper on your flying, are you not going to events or fly ins because of the heat. What can event organizers do to make it more bearable for participants? What do you do to stay cool when you go flying in this heat?
A few of us leave our houses at 5:30-6 AM. Drive about an hour. Get several flights in by 10:30, pack up and drive the hour back home. Get home around 12 PM.

A lot of work but worth it for me. We have no choice if you want to fly in this heat.

Stan
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Nicosia here in Cyprus, it is often over 40c, with high humidity. We still fly our jets.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
marc s

Here in the UK its p**sing with rain and howling a gale most of the time so no flying here for totally the opposite reasons [:@]

marcs
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM
sieze2

That so funny. As marc has said in the UK the weather is crap, we have had the wettest June for 100 years. In the west midlands right now we are in the process of receiving a month of rainfall in the next 48 hours. In that context the notion of sun stopping you flying is hilarious
Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

too hot to fly for me..I did buy a little eflite cub with floats just for these kind of days..I live on a lake and never utilized it. Figured its about time I do..
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2.4 Futaba 14CH RX shut down just before take off [X(] did a temp check on the receiver ..114 deg. No flying for me.

P.S also what's the chance of a compressor stalling and cause a flame out due to high temp ?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Jgwright

Yes easily the worst windiest, wettest coldest summer ever. In fact not sure if we had a summer at all. I am supposed to be going to the British Grand Prix with my son on Sunday, but it seems the car parks were flooded and cars were getting bogged down when they turned onto the grass. My wife gave me a great Christmas present and we will both be very disappointed if we cannot go.

I did once go to Phoenix Arizona with one of the Wren MW54 prototypes and ran it in 120 F temperatures. Ran ok. High temps beat the weather we are having any day. Just go flying early in the morning or late at night if it is too hot in the day.

John

Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

temps in AR have been ranging between 104-106 F every day. The humidity has been very low though which is unusual for this part of the country. It's simply too hot to fly in that heat and have any fun. The best time to go is early in the morning or late afternoon.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM
marc s

How about buying a cheap gazeebo from Wallmart, one with clear window sides, pitch it on the flightline, wack in a 240v generator (with exhaust outside!) rig up a portable aircon unit inside and viola - cool flying condition all day long

marcs
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where I fly in Oakdale, CA... it's pretty normal to be 100 to 105 in the summer.
I fly electric jets, so like others I go early and leave early. Sure helps when you have a breeze....when the breeze stops it gets uncomfortable fast!!!

I have had heat stroke out flying before and it wasn't fun at all.....

Some things I have done that really help. Go to your local sport store I go to REI get a couple long sleeve hiking shirts, they are very thin material, but have a high UV rating. I also bought a tilly hat.
I put on sunscreen before I leave the house... I drink lots of water on the way to the field and while I'm there.
Stay off the hot black top as much as you can and set your chair back from the black top in the shade. The temps are much higher on that black top....

What I have found is keeping that sun off my arms and body, along with the tilly keeping it off my face... I go home feeling much better. I use to feel hot all night after flying in a short sleeve and a ball cap...but now I cool down much faster and enjoy the rest of my day. I have never done really well in high heat, but I am doing much better now with more protection.

But I still leave on hot days before it gets to 100.... to me it's just not fun after that. I have better things to do then bake all day
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What are these things called "sun" and "heat" that you speak of?
H.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

We have had a long string of 95+ degree says, with high humidity to boot. Not flying at all.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

We're just starting to warm up here in the Pacific Northwest. It's been in the 40's at night and the high 50's - low 60's during the day. This week, we're warming up. 2nd screen shot is what it looks like for next week. Hope the weather stays like this for Jets Over Whidbey.

Kirk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84669.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1779178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47850.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1779179  
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
jetster81

Here in Northern Europe as already mentioned it is Just BAD with the Rain and wind almost everyday I have Three new models waiting for first flights and no end in sight. I really envy you with good weather even if it is hot in the day.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is slightly amusing to Texans.

With that said, I didn't fly at all last summer when we had a record 70 days of 100+ temperatures. It was not only too hot to be outside for any length of time, the entire state was a tinderbox and under a burn ban for about 4 months.
Although there are no AMA rules against flying turbine powered models during a burn ban, I choose not to because of the potential danger.
I have seen many turbine crashes that resulted in a fire. If a fire like that occurs during very dry conditions it can spread and get out of control before you even have a chance to get to the crash site.
There were numerous wildfires in Texas last summer. Many people lost their homes and some even lost their lives. Those fires started by natural causes or arson, I can only imagine how bad the fallout would be for jet flyers if even one big wildfire gets started by a turbine crash. I don't want to be "that guy".
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews
temps in AR have been ranging between 104-106 F every day. The humidity has been very low though which is unusual for this part of the country. It's simply too hot to fly in that heat and have any fun. The best time to go is early in the morning or late afternoon.
Hey Andrew, am up in Fayetteville. Only getting to the field on fri & sat late afternoon / evening. Set up by 6, get a few flights, break it down around 8 or so.. been blazin...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

The high heat and humidity kinda take some of the fun factor out for me!
howerver most of my turbines (Wren) seem to handle the heat just fine which is a good thing
Iusually don't go just fun flying or to contests if the heat is"excessive"
SOmost of my flying is in the spring and fall with the winter and middle of summer relegated to
maintenance and new builds in a cooled garage..
One of the Local clubs (Farview Flyers) definetly has the right idea with a massively fun
jet meet in october on one of the best airfields in the country!!!
see>>> http://www.farviewflyers.net/Documen...12a-Page-1.jpg
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Jgwright

Kevin

You couldn't set anything on fire here, much more likely to drown. Last week there was a great shot of a guy who fell over crossing the road and had to be rescued as he was swept along.

John
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Ive been flying Sunday mornings EARLY, Leaving when it gets into the low 90's. We have 107 forecast for Sat Morning. We seriously need Rain.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kevin_W

This thread is slightly amusing to Texans.

With that said, I didn't fly at all last summer when we had a record 70 days of 100+ temperatures. It was not only too hot to be outside for any length of time, the entire state was a tinderbox and under a burn ban for about 4 months.
Although there are no AMA rules against flying turbine powered models during a burn ban, I choose not to because of the potential danger.
I have seen many turbine crashes that resulted in a fire. If a fire like that occurs during very dry conditions it can spread and get out of control before you even have a chance to get to the crash site.
There were numerous wildfires in Texas last summer. Many people lost their homes and some even lost their lives. Those fires started by natural causes or arson, I can only imagine how bad the fallout would be for jet flyers if even one big wildfire gets started by a turbine crash. I don't want to be ''that guy''.
Lol. I hear You, my Texas brother. I was just down Marsh lane from you in FB when the '80 (?) wave hit, and never felt a thing, even though my ride at the time was an un air conditioned VW :-)

Gotta say that it's worse here in Memphis though, where it is MUCH more humid than the DFW area !

Good, responsible call on using caution for the fires.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

All winter we waited for the summer. Now we are in the 100s every day .
Good thing is - I have only crashed one plane this season...
Looks like we'll be in the 80s on sunday, so fly hard and keep your planes in one piece!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

Kevin

You couldn't set anything on fire here, much more likely to drown. Last week there was a great shot of a guy who fell over crossing the road and had to be rescued as he was swept along.

John
That's the way it is here in the spring time. It's usually a soccer mom in a minivan who needs to be rescued though.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
houmax503
My Feedback: (4)

4th of July we grilled and flew from morning to afternoon. A little sweat is good for you,
just make sure and stay hydrated. Gotta love South Louisiana during the summer!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.