Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SM-Extreme F-4 1/9 scale questions

I have one of the first SM 1/9 scale Phantoms which was produced, and flown, as a demo model. It is pretty light, and looks like it was originally flown with no flaps. I am in the process of stripping the finish and applying amore scale paint job and refitting the aircraft for flight. I have not found a lot of information on this plane, but the specs say it will wiegh from 16-22 pounds. I want to install a Wren 54SS (about 18-18.5 lbs of thrust), because it is a sipper when it comes to fuel and it is a super light weight engine.
    Do you think it would be adequate, fiorst since this is known to be a draggy airframe and second you will obviously lose some thrust due to the bifurcated pipe.
    Second I have never flown an F4, but always wanted one, so this is a cheap way of getting the ride....haha....so I am wondering about the utility of going the extra route, and adding the flaps along with the increase in weight. I want a nice flying sport model not a competition beast, so I would like to stay away from the extra work if it is not necessary.
    There have not been many of these mentioned in the forum that I can find so any worthwhile information would be appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: SM-Extreme F-4 1/9 scale questions

I have one of the Black Bunny Versions of the Small jet. I really think If you keep your weight down your turbine will fly it. But you may experience a longer than normal takeoff roll. Ive read these jets pitch down with flaps..
    AMA #70046 Jet Junkie!

Without Gravity, Your Lockout Jet becomes Space Junk.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a cheetah 31 pounds of thrust, i now have 7 flight on her and i need all the 31 pound of thrust, this plane is a rock, fly pretty well but need some thrust.
    Jet Central Rabbit, Superbee, kingtech k-80, cheetah, kingtech k-170f...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had been going through the same thought process recently. My X-treme F-4 arrived last month and one of the first things I did was weigh everything so I could decide which engine to use. The ARF and everything I plan to install came to about 20 pounds, less the engine and ancilliaries. My preference was to keep it light and install a 100N engine. With a 100 I planned on using only the two saddle tanks (88 oz.). The engine and ancilliaries weigh about 3#, and the fuel 5#, so take off weight would be 28#. Assuming 10% loss for the bifricated pipe I'd have about 20 pounds of thrust.

With a 140 I'd use all three tanks for 120 oz. of fuel. The engine etc.weigh 3.5# and fuel 6.5#. So in that case I'd have 30# take off weigh and 29 pounds of thrust. The F-4 has a reputation as a power on plane and I fly off of a short runway, so I went with a Merlin 140.

I haven't flown mine yet so I can't speak from first hand experience but I wouldn't consider anything less than a 22# engine. One guy I exchanged emails with said he saw one fly with a 19# Rabbit and described it as unimpressive. If you can keep yours light enough I would think that a 100N engine would work. Find another home for your Supersport.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds good. I have a brand new K-140 that needs a home, but was worried about the fuel. Looks like the 140 will be the power for this beast.