Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BP Regal Eagle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BP Regal Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:03 AM
s.millington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BP Regal Eagle

Well Thrust Gurus:

I've just acquired a Bob Parkinson F-15 regal Eagle with a Byron Fan and Byron / Rossi 0.81 pipe. I have an OS 91VR-DF small head on the way, with a large head ordered as well. This will be my first DF. So many questions,...where do I start.

Ok first problem,...NOOOOISE!
Will the Byron / Rossi 81 pipe be OK with the OS 91? I'm not looking to run the OS at peak rpm, but always a bit rich anyway.
I have never like the sound of these IC DFs (read extreme dislike) so,...next question.

Does anyone have any direct or even indirect experience with the Davis Diesel conversion on an OS 91 DF or any DF? I would like to here what the rpm and noise level results where? I understand the pros to a diesel conversion, but are there any cons. I'm also looking into the possibility of converting an OS 160FX to diesel if it's feasible. So fire away

What are the quietest options for pipes for the glow OS 91DF/ Byron combo? I'm looking for the most effective quiet pipe option.
I would even consider going to a Ramtec fan if it has significantly quieter options available.

Next problem,...Retracts.
I'm also looking for retracts for this jet. Probably Spring Airs. I'm sure most of you fellas remember, or even own this kit, but the set-up is as follows. 53" span, 9-13lb AUW, probably 12lb finished. Nose gear is firewall mounted and forward folding, mains are flat mounted and forward folding. 3/16" struts for both, I think. Are the 107HD (nose), and 103HD (mains) a good fit?

Last problem,...Finish.
I know the Regal Eagle is a sport scale, but I have good scale references for the F-15C and E/D. Does anyone have some pointers to some good colour scheme options?

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Default BP Regal Eagle

First off, with the Byron fan setup (pusher), you will need a LARGE HEAD engine, not the small head which is used with the tractor fans such as a Dynamax or Ramtec fan. This is due to the engine needing extra cooling from not being in the airflow provided by the fan. You can easily convert your small head engine, however, by purchasing the large head. Also check into the bolts available from JMP that will hold much more reliably than the stock ones when you make the change. Good Luck.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
s.millington

Default BP Regal Eagle

Hi rongreg13:

I ordered the small head (with a large head ordered as well), because the Byron head model is now out of production. I could have found a 91 large head from a retailer, but Towers had the engine on special at the time. I paid less for both. I guess this is simpler for them.

I'll check into the JMP bolt you mentioned. Sounds like a very good idea.

Any help with the retracts question? Spring Air suggested thier 305 set, but the nose gear needs to be firewall mounted. I'm still working on that one.

Cheers,